ADVERTISEMENT

Clark Lea and Deion Sanders

LowerEastSideDawg

Most Improved Player
Gold Member
Dec 12, 2005
Brooklyn
In 2020, Vandy didn’t win a game. They weaseled out of playing Georgia not once but twice. They blamed COVID, but some of their guys were butt hurt that Derek Mason let a player named Sarah kick an extra point. Mainly, Vandy players didn’t want to take the epic physical beatdown they knew to expect from Georgia. Lots of guys just quit the team. Derek Mason was fired.

Enter Clark Lea, who inherited the closest thing I’ve seen to a dead program in my 50+ years of watching SEC football.

In year 1, with creampuffs back on the post-COVID schedule, Vandy won two games. But they were also clearly a better football team.

In year 2, Vandy won five. They beat Kentucky on the road. Then they beat Florida. They damn near made a bowl game. Two years after the worst Vandy team in history.

I have nothing against Deion Sanders. I honestly don’t. But if Sanders can accomplish in his first two years at Pac-12 Colorado what Lea has done at SEC member Vandy, Deion will be a coaching legend, and half of SEC fans still won’t know what Clark Lea looks like.

The point: Clark Lea has done a damn-fine job against very long odds.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News