ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson Observations

Strange_Noah

Stranger Danger
Gold Member
Dec 10, 2017
Chattanooga, TN
I just finished watching the extended highlights from Clemson's first game against Notre Dame and the semi-final. I had a few observations from them. 1) DJ is not nearly as mobile as Trevor and would be easily chased done by the likes of AA and Nolan Smith. 2) They may have some elite defensive linemen, but they seem a little overrated. 3) The secondary they have is extremely unathletic. I say all of this knowing they are a very good team.

I believe the game in Charlotte will be a dog fight, but they have some key weaknesses. The defensive line for them was not great at all against Sermon and the ND running back. If our offensive line can truly gel I think we will be able to run all over them with Milton, Kenny, Zeus, and others. They are much better at rushing the passer from what I saw, and that was because they love to blitz. Venables was constantly bringing pressure.

Arian Smith is a huge key in this game in my opinion. He will be able to absolutely torch their secondary defenders. I also believe Burton can do this. If the passing game is anything like what we expect it to be we will be able to gash their defensive line on the ground and control the pace of the game. Sure, Ohio State has Olave and and Wilson but more often than not they were just wide open behind Clemson's corners and safeties. Honestly, the secret weapon here might just be Big 0. In the semi-final against OSU Clemson's star and safeties just got manhandled by their TE's.

Lastly, DJ does a great job of keeping his eyes down the field at all times. He is not easily shaken but he struggles evading pressure at times. I truly believe the lack of mobility will effect Clemson immensely. They will no longer have the strong QB run threat against us because of the speed of our defense. No matter what anyone says they won't be able to run the ball well on us. If we are able to get pressure on DJ and actually get home with AA and Nolan I really think the game is ours to lose. So many aspects of this game play into our presumed strengths.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News