ADVERTISEMENT

Cole Cubelic's Georgia preview summary....

kckd

Circle of Honor
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2001
They're the leaders in the pack in the SEC and the leaders with OSU for all of college football.

Carson Beck- the quietest 3900 plus yards of any QB the last 8-10 years. Keep in mind only Nix and Penix had more passing yards last year.

My understanding is he's out in front in conditioning drills. He's competing not like he's the starter. Competing like he has to win the starting job. He's more of a leader this year.

He is not afraid to push the ball down the middle of the field. You watch enough college football you're gonna see a lot of QBs scared to throw down the middle and keep almost everything to the outside. (I thought of Fromm when he said this. Love Jake. Watched some Rose Bowl highlights today. But he did kind of hate throwing between the hash marks.)
With what he brings to the table, think there is a really good chance the offense is better this year.

RB-Trevor Etienne-Everything I'm told, he's a massive upgrade from what they had last year. Now Georgia can take high percentage plays and turn them into explosives. This is not something they could do last year.

The Robinsons give them backs that are heavier and more backs to lean on. But Etienne, when you watched him at Florida, he gets a ton of those inside zone, downhill running carries. Not just a lightning back.

WR- You have every type that you could want on this team. Very deep.

Rara- Big physical attack the ball type guy. He's done it. You know what you've got here.

Dillon Bell- Versatile. Inside, outside, catch and run. Gives you all of it.

Dom- As good of a slot receiver as there is in the SEC. Catch and run, explosive capability, could start for any team in the conference at slot. If he were showcased, he could put up big numbers. But Georgia doesn't have to showcase him.

Arian Smith- takes the top off.

Michael Jackson- Big body, can work things in the middle of the field.

Anthony Evans- improved in spring. Speed.

Colby Young- big body, RZ threat

It's as deep and as versatile of a WR corps as you will find in college football. I've seen these top WR unit lists and I haven't seen Georgia on any of them. I think you can make the argument they are up there with everybody else and that's with proven commodities. I'm not even talking about the young kids they have coming in.

TE- more pass catching prowess.

Ben Yurosek- makes plays. Tough and physical. Gets after it.

Luckie and Delp are back. Good pass catchers. Not Darnell next to the tackle, but they don't shy away from the physicality. They will give you effort.

Jaden Reddell- flex, athletic TE. Some think he'll help this year as well.

-you can go two back, you can motion in to two back with Bell, or start with him in two back and motion out, mutliple TES going 12 or 13.....Bobo is gonna have an encyclopedia of a playbook just for his formations and personnel groupings.

- You can design things for a particular player in this offense to have a big year from that guy. Sark at Texas? He's gonna do that. I don't think Bobo has to do that. It's gonna be week to week looking at different matchups and taking advantage of certain skill sets in those matchups. Force people to look at something one week or even four or five weeks, then look at something different and throw people off.

OL- been one of the best for the last four or five years. Stacy Searels has done an amazing job.

Gonna miss Van Prann's leadership, but this Jared Wilson kid coming in? 6'3".5, 310 lbs, sub 4.9 forty. Walks in as the most athletic center in the SEC day one.

Ratledge and Fairchild at guard, but don't sleep on the name Micah Morris. Been told in practice he's murdering people. Played tackle in the bowl game, but may be down inside a little more.

Earnest Greene- one of the best left tackles entering this season of college football. killer in the screen game. You don't want to be in front of him then.

Xavier Truss- will kick back out to tackle. Truss still has improvement to make. In the spring game he's opening his hips up. Gets his feet together a little bit and misses his punch at times. Has all of the ability though. And his body, good God, when the Lord made tackles, that's the one he made.

Monroe Freeling next up? Tackle depth is a little big of a concern. Don't know if they have that one that they can rely should either right or left get hurt that you can say "We're gonna be okay." The TEs, especially Yurosek, can help with that when lined up next to an OT.

Gonna make defenses think a lot before the ball is snapped. Some have shared with me that Beck is seeing things in the Georgia defense that the Georgia coaches are not seeing. He's that advanced right now in his processing and what he sees. And we know that defense is complex. Gives a lot of different looks, pressures, etc.

Defense- the staff just doesn't get enough credit for playing to their strengths. Had great DL in 2021 and really good in 2022. Last year, not as good, but you find some one to help. Never seen a safety come up and take on blockers, pullers the way Tykee Smith did last year. It was incredible. Have a guy in the secondary like that this year? Maybe not. But might not need to.

Dline
Defensive front will take a step up. Wiilliams has got to be out there making plays. He can make them dominant. Miller gives you some twitch. He can help you up front. Ingraham-Dawkins, when he's not hurt, can rush the passer. Chambliss is back. He can help. Damon Wilson can rush off the edge. Gabe Harris- He just freaking hits people. Literally knocks the hell out of people. Reminds me of Kendrell Bell. Told he's an amazing worker and is always in the facility doing everything you want.

True dominance has come from the inside in years past- Nazir Stackhouse has a lot of experience. He can hold the point. Brinson- quicker than Stackhouse. Can give moves inside but can also strike and shed. A very good football player at DT in the SEC. Xzavier McLeod is coming along. Did some good things in the spring. Jordan Hall has been solid.
Not the top end talent we've seen in the past. But deep and multiple guys who can make plays and do different things inside in different ways. Holding the point is gonna be the most important for them because what they have behind them, that's where the defense is really dangerous.

LBer-

Mondon is back. No spring ball, but looks great and we've seen what he can do in this conference.

Jalon Walker- very versatile. You can rush him, put him off the ball. Very talented. Raylen Wilson- fast, a guy that a lot of people thought would break out last year.

Mondon and Allen are your two leaders. Freaks behind them that can do different things.

Edge will be better. Interior has a chance to be better. Off the ball LBer has a chance to be better than last season. So the secondary doesn't have to be as good as it was.

Secondary-

You still have Malaki Starks back. One of the best safeties in college football.

KJ Bolden plays. Don't know how much but I think he'll help this team this year. Dan Jackson- leader, tough, grinder, someone that will help you. He and Thomas have that position locked down.

Will corner be as good? Will probably be younger. Ellis Robinson will probably play some. Everette's back. Long, athletic corner. Aguero at star. Big hitter, physical presence, not afraid to come up and put his body on the line to make a hit. Can be like Bullard last year in just how he plays physically. Julian Humphrey and Daniel Harris, so you have some experience and some youth.

I just don't see this team losing many games.

If you look at their schedule? If it was any body else we'd be talking about five or six losses. Only one true home game in the first five weeks (an off week is in here). Don't love that. Not in Athens in weeks 8, 9, 10, 11.

At Texas- brutal
At Alabama- tough

At Ole Miss- it's a mismatch

Clemson- I'm not as high on Clemson as others, but it'll be a good test for Georgia's OL.

Tennessee could be tough. This will be Tennessee's most physical team Heupel's had. And that's where Tennessee hasn't had an answer for Georgia.

Georgia's gonna be in the playoff.

How far can they go?

Gonna come down to health and how they matchup with teams.

A team like Michigan last year could give them trouble this year. Is there a team like that?

I don't know.

Don't like OSU's offensive line. QB is new to the system.

Texas? Could offer some problems, but we'll see that in the regular season anyway.

I just don't see a lot of mismatches for this team.

Ohio State not as good in the trenches as Georgia, so Georgia's my favorite to win it all.

Schedule is tough, but it's more forgiving with the expanded playoff.

And if they get in they're going to be a problem.

But Beck is a potential no. 1 pick. He's that good.

You put all of this talent around him and just let him take what a defense gives you because he's good at that.

And all of the offseason traits that he's improving is what I love hearing about Georgia and what they're gonna be able to be and how far they're gonna be able to go.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.