ADVERTISEMENT

Comparing the last three seasons

Saxondawg

Moderator but one of the nice ones.
May 29, 2001
Chamblee GA
www.robsuggs.com
A lot of people are throwing this topic out for discussion: Which of the last three Bulldog teams is the strongest? There are all kinds of comparisons you can make, but none are definitive beyond W/L, because there are so many factors to consider. For example, how do you factor in schedule difficulty? What about intangibles, such as Stetson's chip?

I wondered about the most simplistic, basic comparison: national offense and defense rankings. Kind of interesting what I discovered.

• 2021: Team Offense, #9; Team Defense, #1
  • 2022: Team Offense, #5; Team Defense, #5
  • 2023: Team Offense, #5; Team Defense, #5.
I had to double-check that ditto between '22 and '23. It suggests that relative to their respective years, these teams are exactly similar. And of course we know that's not true. Very different personality beginning with an inexperienced QB working with a new OC, and progressively becoming more aggressive through the season; a defense younger, possibly stronger on the back end and less dominant on the front. More uneven in performances against lesser opponents. We should also mention that 2023 stats are incomplete, with Tech and the postseason still to be played.

Perhaps the greatest point is that in all three cases, Kirby fielded complete teams; highly ranked on both sides of the ball and adept at special teams as well. You don't have to be in the top four in the nation in either offense or defense. But if you can be in the top five on both sides, you are nearly impossible to defeat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News