ADVERTISEMENT

Couple of quick thoughts from Sunday...

TheRedRain

War Daddy
Gold Member
May 6, 2005
-Didn't get to stay too long as I had to be back in Atlanta by mid afternoon... they got started at 1:00p and I was able to stick until around 1:40p . I got out there around noon and was able to watch BP, as well.

-I thought that Skyler Weber had the best batting practice, or at least stood out the most to me.

-Prior to the scrimmage getting under way, I thought that the guys looked as loose as I've seen them in two years. Maybe it's just the different perspective being in the OF, but it was noticeable and very good to see. It hasn't been a whole lot of fun over the past two seasons, but those years are done now.... I remember having some similar thoughts in fall of 2010 (coming off that disastrous 16-37 year) that things just looked very upbeat. I felt that same way Sunday.

-Only got to see two full innings and I don't think any hits were allowed. Definitely saw some more balls being driven into the OF than I did two weeks before.

-Michael Bell and Nick King played 2nd and SS respectively for the black team. Max Ford and Tray Logan played 2nd and SS for the red team. Logan can really pick it... if he hits, it's going to be tough to keep him off the field.

-Morgan Bunting was the red team's 1B and Daniel Nichols played 1B for the black. Trevor Kieboom was at 3B for the red and Mitchell Webb was at 3B for the black. I imagine that Nichols and Kieboom would start at those positions if the season got underway tomorrow. Kieboom is really going to help. He's moves great over at 3rd for his size and really handles the bat. I'll be surprised if we have him more than one year.

-Henry Rowling, Keegan McGovern, and (I think) DJ Smith went RF - LF for the black team. It's hard to see LF from the RF pavilion. McGovern is going to be a player. Really moves well in CF and I think he's going to hit for power and average. For the red team, Wrenn was in CF. Skyler Weber played some RF and Sean McLaughlin played some LF. I'm trying to remember if I saw Jared Walsh out there too... I want to say so, but now I can't recall when. I believe your starting OF if we played tomorrow would be Wrenn in CF with Weber in RF and McGovern in LF.

-Sean McLaughlin threw a little bit on the warning track before hand, under the eye of Fred Corral. Not long toss and certainly not max effort. First time I've seen him do anything pitching related since March... I didn't think that our staff could hold up last year without him, and I was wrong. We've got enough guys to pitch well without him this season, but adding him would obviously be tremendous and may well push the rotation into that "elite" category... Sean looks like he's gotten bigger, too.

-It doesn't appear that Slade Dale is part of the program any longer. I noticed that he was not listed on the roster that was passed out before hand on Sunday and I just checked and he is no longer on the roster on Georgiadogs either. I was envisioning that guy as being a significant contributor for us, but I may have been off base on that. Anyway, I have no idea what happened, but it looks like he isn't on the team at this time.

-I missed Stephen Wrenn's HR, but was very happy to read about it. You had to figure that the power part of his game was going to develop.... He just didn't have many extra base hits last season, but as I say, you have to figure that part will come around for him.

-If the season started today, I think you'd see Wrenn 1, McGovern 2, Weber 3, and Kieboom 4. I'm confident in saying that about 1, 3, and 4... you've got some options at 2 and it wouldn't surprise me to see Nick King fill that spot either.

-I believe that the last one is on Sunday and I'm going to try my best to get back up there then. I really hope to see Ryan Avidano throw a little bit then as I haven't see him yet. Avidano, Bo Tucker, and Blake Hamilton certainly do not look like freshmen out there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News