ADVERTISEMENT

Couple of thought on the Stephanopoulos interview.

It is an AI bubble. Your indexes are indeed up, but that doesn't mean the market has "done well".

CNBC just showed the impact that six tech stocks have had on the S&P 500. 70% of 2024's gain can be attributed to Nvidia. The remaining 5 top tech companies (Apple, Alphabet, etc), with Nvidia add up to more than 100%. What does that tell you about the remaining S&P 494 Companies? And that doesn't even tell the stories. These are all large public companies where capital is easy to get, and debt is optional. If there were an index of the middle 2,000 private companies in the US by size, it is freakin' rough.

The economy was rocking across the board 2016-2020 (precovid)

Big Tech is rocking now. That's pretty much it.

CNBC just showed the impact that six tech stocks have had on the S&P 500. 70% of 2024's gain can be attributed to Nvidia. The remaining 5 top tech companies (Apple, Alphabet, etc), with Nvidia add up to more than 100%. What does that tell you about the remaining S&P 494 Companies? And that doesn't even tell the stories. These are all large public companies where capital is easy to get, and debt is optional. If there were an index of the middle 2,000 private companies in the US by size, it is freakin' rough.

The economy was rocking across the board 2016-2020 (precovid)

Big Tech is rocking now. That's pretty much it.
Very true and even the libs should be able to see this, which is why I was replying to the comments about the great economy and "stock market". A total lack of understanding by too many people, who can see a chart that is green and assume everything is great.
Another chart I saw yesterday showed almost all the jobs created in Obidens 3.5 years are government jobs.

Very true and even the libs should be able to see this, which is why I was replying to the comments about the great economy and "stock market". A total lack of understanding by too many people, who can see a chart that is green and assume everything is great.
Another chart I saw yesterday showed almost all the jobs created in Obidens 3.5 years are government jobs.
Isn't just the libs. I think the fed grossly over-estimates the health of the overall economy. They seem so scared to say anything that would spark the capital markets, failing to realize that even if the S&P goes up 10% on rate cut hopes, the broader economy is still getting squeezed by their hikes. 500 bps in 18 months was way too much. And the way they use flawed data to make decisions that move the global markets is criminal.

Today is the perfect example of what we are talking about. CPI surprised to the downside sparking rate cut optimism - a generally incredibly good news for the broad economy day, right?

Yet the indexes are struggling. The Nasdaq in particular having an awful day. Why? Nvidia is off 5 percent.

The indexes have never been more detached from the broader economy. Ever.

Reactions: WyoDawg307
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT