ADVERTISEMENT

VIDEO Crean post-game and transcript

Anthony Dasher

Circle of Honor
Staff
Aug 29, 2007
Winterville, Georgia
(Only took four questions)

On how much responsibility Coach Crean accepts for tonight's game...
"I guess all of it, I would say the entire thing. I am the head coach, so I would say the responsibility falls with me absolutely."

On K.D. Johnson being on the floor and Georgia’s first half...
"Well, that we missed [K.D. Johnson] for 10 games. He brings a different level of energy and competitiveness to the game, and he's an attacker. The only player that didn't go through our chest and driving the ball to the rim was K.D. So much of tonight was lack of talk and lack of—you know we wanted to guard the ball screen with two people, well those two people have to talk. They've got to talk on the switch. They have to be up. They have to be in those situations, but you've got to start with being tough on the basketball. Whether you're getting under, whether you're going over, whatever it is, K.D. Johnson brings that. K.D. brings a different spirit inside of that situation. We didn't talk very well so I’ll go back to Anthony’s [Dasher], so I guess I am responsible for the fact that our talk is not remotely close tonight to what it is in practice when it comes to how we get back in transition defense. It's got to get better in a hurry, because people are coming at us and were back on our heels. More importantly, we are not taking initiative of the ball stop. We are looking for our own man rather than just being in an area with a man and just taking it. Those are the kind of things we have to get better at. So, I've got to coach better."

On transition defense…
“I can't explain that. I can't explain Tye Fagan giving up 10 points and transition into the first half and you know a couple lobs in the three, and nine, 10 points, whatever. I can't explain that because that is not how we do it. So, I have to coach it better. I have to coach it better, and we are too quiet. We have got to get downm and it is basically about getting around your man. Get the ball stopped, get the rim covered, get in help, and find your man, a man, I should say, not your man, but a man, and let's guard. A lot of times we are back—we were not aggressive, aware, and communicating. That is what has to get better. So, what I have to do a much better job of is getting exactly in the game, and it’s going to be those leaders that are going to get us back and take responsibility for getting their teammates in those positions and to talk."

On second half collapse…
“I thought we were there in the second half too. We were making runs, but then we would give up a couple of baskets. We would get a couple baskets, we would get a couple stops, then we would make a mistake. I think it is just a combination of not bearing down, and what I haven't liked the last couple of games is we lose a little belief that we can win the game. A 12-point deficit, a 13-point deficit, a 15-point deficit, plus with as fast as they shoot it, as fast as Arkansas shoots it, that is nothing in college basketball. That is just absolutely nothing. We have got to be able to work through that better. So, I don't know. I have got to look at who I am playing, I have to look at combinations, and I am going to have to make some tough choices."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News