ADVERTISEMENT

D Day and NATO

Yeah Germany was the main culprit. I think they were only contributing 2 percent.
You may be right, seems like I remember that too. Remember looking it up when Trump threatened to pull out because there were several countries not “paying their fair share”.

Seems like Germany was one of the biggest ones. I was surprised at how many were not honoring their commitments.

Nonetheless, his threats had an affect.

Reactions: Athens is Heaven
You may be right, seems like I remember that too. Remember looking it up when Trump threatened to pull out because there were several countries not “paying their fair share”.

Seems like Germany was one of the biggest ones. I was surprised at how many were not honoring their commitments.

Nonetheless, his threats had an affect.
Yeah they were all laughing at him behind his back but they came up with their share. And the NATO leader thanked Trump for what he did also.

Reactions: Eastmandawg
Withdrawing from NATO prior to a second term would have resulted in losing by even more than he did. Bolton states quite clearly that Trump’s plan was assuming he won in 2020. Trump’s POV regarding timing was entirely driven by polling and impact on the election.

FWIW, I was actively working w/ NATO allies during Trump's term. There was zero discussion/worry or anything about the US leaving NATO. Literally was never even jokingly brought up. Maybe that was because he couldn't do it on his own w/o Congress? Or maybe because it was a non-issue? Who knows...your choice.

All I know is that there were several long-term investments from major NATO Allies (and subsequently by the US) that aren't 'newsworthy' (actually kind of boring) that only indicated a continued long-term US presence in NATO. I've found that political posturing rarely causes a blip. Maybe Trump deep down, personally wants to leave NATO.

So what? I disagree (and think it would be a huge mistake)...but, there is a long, difficult road between wanting to and having the political cache to successfully complete it. From my limited real-time experience, I think Bolton is FOS, here. Trump's policies & funding demonstrated a clear direction towards more NATO involvement/support.

FWIW, I was actively working w/ NATO allies during Trump's term. There was zero discussion/worry or anything about the US leaving NATO. Literally was never even jokingly brought up. Maybe that was because he couldn't do it on his own w/o Congress? Or maybe because it was a non-issue? Who knows...your choice.

All I know is that there were several long-term investments from major NATO Allies (and subsequently by the US) that aren't 'newsworthy' (actually kind of boring) that only indicated a continued long-term US presence in NATO. I've found that political posturing rarely causes a blip. Maybe Trump deep down, personally wants to leave NATO.

So what? I disagree (and think it would be a huge mistake)...but, there is a long, difficult road between wanting to and having the political cache to successfully complete it. From my limited real-time experience, I think Bolton is FOS, here. Trump's policies & funding demonstrated a clear direction towards more NATO involvement/support.
You obviously have a point of reference for this discussion that I don’t. Bolton has a strong POV shaped by his working directly with Trump as NSA, but perhaps he is FOS as you suggest.

What are your thoughts regarding Trump’s stance on Ukraine and Russia?

Reactions: Moosefish
You obviously have a point of reference for this discussion that I don’t. Bolton has a strong POV shaped by his working directly with Trump as NSA, but perhaps he is FOS as you suggest.

What are your thoughts regarding Trump’s stance on Ukraine and Russia?

Similar to what I said about policies/funding for NATO, above. Trump's words (for both good & ill) are often for effect or to make a point, or for political purposes.

I think his Ukraine/Russia policy would reflect what his advisors tell him is the best course of action, the same way his actual NATO policies & funding reflected & built on what was long-standing US policy, the same way his Russia policy was absolutely anti-Russian & his Ukrainian policy was arguably the most pro-UKR policy the US had had up to that point (partially due to the previous development of the relationship, but also to actual decisions his administration made).

So to answer: Who knows? It would not surprise me if a theoretical Trump admin continued current policy for a bit, but I think there would be an effort for timelines/limits on what our support is, because that's also what a great number of Congressional Republicans want, as well. But of course, that's dependent on Congressional races and the balance of power.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT