ADVERTISEMENT

Dabo with a swing and a miss

So by his logic, Clemson achieved their dream in 2018 and therefore should be content and not try for more progress.

giphy.gif

How that man has made the money he has while lacking all common sense or awareness is beyond me. Next time I get in the dumps about work, Im just going to remind myself Dabo Swinney is a millionaire and can't even spell the word. So there is hope.

Reactions: MHoncho69
What truth is that?
I'm a pretty moderate person, and believe there are still a lot of injustices in our country, but this country is not as terrible as some make it out to be. We did have an African-American elected President twice. That was only a dream in the 60's. When the black community marched for Civil Rights in the 60's they were pretty much alone, but today they are joined by others calling for justice. We should not judge those who say Black Lives Matter by the organization that uses the name, neither should we judge those who lean more conservative by the Alt-Right or MAGA.

I'm a pretty moderate person, and believe there are still a lot of injustices in our country, but this country is not as terrible as some make it out to be. We did have an African-American elected President twice. That was only a dream in the 60's. When the black community marched for Civil Rights in the 60's they were pretty much alone, but today they are joined by others calling for justice. We should not judge those who say Black Lives Matter by the organization that uses the name, neither should we judge those who lean more conservative by the Alt-Right or MAGA.
Thanks for your respectful response. His comments come off to me like an older brother telling his kid brother "I let you have your turn, now go away." It came off as as "goal reached, issue over." MLK's dream was much more about justice and equality than having an African American in the white house.
Coach speak 101 is "yeah we won, but here's how we can still improve." When one goal is reached, we should set new, higher, bigger goals and work to achieve them. That's not the attitude he displayed with those comments imo.

To me, what makes someone great is not what they've done, but their relentless pursuit of improvement. I hope that the USA is a better place today than it was in the 60s, and I really hope it's an even better place in another 60 years. If we are to continue to improve as a country, it won't be from resting on our laurels, but from facing and overcoming our challenges, both new and old. Things might not be as terrible as they are made out to be, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't still try and make them better.

Thanks for your respectful response. His comments come off to me like an older brother telling his kid brother "I let you have your turn, now go away." It came off as as "goal reached, issue over." MLK's dream was much more about justice and equality than having an African American in the white house.
Coach speak 101 is "yeah we won, but here's how we can still improve." When one goal is reached, we should set new, higher, bigger goals and work to achieve them. That's not the attitude he displayed with those comments imo.

To me, what makes someone great is not what they've done, but their relentless pursuit of improvement. I hope that the USA is a better place today than it was in the 60s, and I really hope it's an even better place in another 60 years. If we are to continue to improve as a country, it won't be from resting on our laurels, but from facing and overcoming our challenges, both new and old. Things might not be as terrible as they are made out to be, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't still try and make them better.
I also appreciate your respectful tone. Dialogue like this is what is needed. Although I do agree with much of Dabo's sentiment, I don't like the mentality of "if you disagree, go somewhere else." That is not how change is made.

As a country, we still have a ways to go, but I do so positive changes being made. Aside from the extreme rhetoric we see on social media and news outlets (both sides), people seem to be coming together, although slowly, too slowly.

I agree that we should not rest simply on our laurels, but I also think that there is a brush that tends to paint our history as evil and corrupt. There were some absolute injustices in our history, and hopefully we've learned from those, but I don't think this country is defined from our mistakes of the past. This is the same country that turned the tide in the two world wars, led the way in the industrial revolution, and started a middle class while surviving a depression.

Reactions: Dawg Wood
I agree with the condescension however I think his intent is we have grown since the 60's & 70's. I'd rather act like we have grown as well. The past sucks. Black Americans, no doubt, had and does have hurdles to clear that are not there for other Americans. It's sad. We have grown as he said but he should have included we need to even be better.

My personal opinion is we need to fund educating lower income and we need to build up the low income communities. Make it clear that people are not stuck in their raising. I don't know how but there are smart people that can figure this out. The neighborhoods, along with crime rates, that some people grow up in are absolutely ridiculous. We can do better. We have to do better. No one deserves to grow up surrounded by crime, drugs or lawlessness with no chance of education and prosperity. When kids in these neighborhoods are left to fend for themselves in every manner...that IMHO is when you oppress them. The only answer I know is to get rid of every politician in Washington. I'm convinced Dems don't fix so they continue to have the problems they debate on and I'm convince the Pubs aren't convinced this causes generational race issues. So f' all the politicians and get people that do want it fixed.I pray that someone or some agency can really work to turn it around.

I also appreciate your respectful tone. Dialogue like this is what is needed. Although I do agree with much of Dabo's sentiment, I don't like the mentality of "if you disagree, go somewhere else." That is not how change is made.

As a country, we still have a ways to go, but I do so positive changes being made. Aside from the extreme rhetoric we see on social media and news outlets (both sides), people seem to be coming together, although slowly, too slowly.

I agree that we should not rest simply on our laurels, but I also think that there is a brush that tends to paint our history as evil and corrupt. There were some absolute injustices in our history, and hopefully we've learned from those, but I don't think this country is defined from our mistakes of the past. This is the same country that turned the tide in the two world wars, led the way in the industrial revolution, and started a middle class while surviving a depression.
100% agree that the news and social media emphasizes the negatives. And it is good to see more people coming together on the side of doing what's right and treating others with respect, regardless of race/religion/sexuality. The more we all practice the golden rule, the better we will be.

Our country has done some amazing things. And I think it's important to remember that we are a country founded on protest against injustice. The specific injustice(s) have evolved over time, but what makes us a great country is the continued fight against them. We have overcome a few (abolishing slavery, women's suffrage, the civil rights acts, etc. ) and I would put those up there with the accomplishments you listed.
IMO the greatest thing the founding fathers did was recognize the need to establish a government that can grow and evolve overtime. They gave us that power in the constitution and we shouldn't forget that.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm not saying America isn't great. I'm saying just because we are great doesn't mean we can't be better.
Remember, we're talking about this on a football message board who fired a coach who won nearly 10 games a year :)

Last edited:
Reactions: NedRacineDawg
100% agree that the news and social media emphasizes the negatives. And it is good to see more people coming together on the side of doing what's right and treating others with respect, regardless of race/religion/sexuality. The more we all practice the golden rule, the better we will be.

Our country has done some amazing things. And I think it's important to remember that we are a country founded on protest against injustice. The specific injustice(s) have evolved over time, but what makes us a great country is the continued fight against them. We have overcome a few (abolishing slavery, women's suffrage, the civil rights acts, etc. ) and I would put those up there with the accomplishments you listed.
IMO the greatest thing the founding fathers did was recognize the need to establish a government that can grow and evolve overtime. They gave us that power in the constitution and we shouldn't forget that.
Totally agree with the other things such as women's sufferage, abolishing slavery, and civil rights as accomplishments. The reason I didn't include them is because they never should have been in place to start with.

Also, this quote from Dabo is from a few years ago. I just think it's important to see that he is not saying this during the current situation.

Totally agree with the other things such as women's sufferage, abolishing slavery, and civil rights as accomplishments. The reason I didn't include them is because they never should have been in place to start with.

Also, this quote from Dabo is from a few years ago. I just think it's important to see that he is not saying this during the current situation.
Agreed they shouldn't have been in place in the first place. That said, I think we can look back with pride on correcting those mistakes. To me that's the "yeah we won, but here's how we can still improve" piece. It's hard work to overcome one's faults, but it's important work. Celebrating those successes reminds us that we can overcome our issues.

I bet native Americans wish they thought of that brilliant piece of advise when they were being slaughtered and forced to conform to the European way of life.

It is a ridiculous statement. This country is built on challenging the status quo.
No more ridiculous than yours.

If you can’t see how tone deaf Dabo is here... well idk what to tell you. He’s an idiot, luckily for us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT