ADVERTISEMENT

Defensive issues

DonutDawg

Vent Peacemaker
Gold Member
Dec 15, 2009
It's really looking like a big problem.
Kirby's defenses have always been pretty stout against the run but we rank 14th in the SEC in rushing defense.

I've always heard the excuse the Kirby's defense focuses more on run fits (& other excuses) & therefore don't get to the QB as much, so I've now fully accepted that a Kirby defense will never get many sacks... so guys like Damon Wilson are wasted & relegated to edge-setters (& are failing at that).
So that immediately puts us behind the 8 ball defensively.
We aren't usually all that big on TFLs either.

Also, Kirby's defenses are never very good (usually middle of the pack in the SEC) in generating turnovers. This season we're near the bottom of the SEC. So the margin for error shrinks even more.

The secondary just got through being TORCHED by a qb who isn't all that great of a passer. And of course we're close to the bottom in interceptions. Even less room for error.

So what does the defense do well this season? THAT is why I'm extremely concerned about this season.

They cannot tackle at the moment. They don't generate turnovers. They can't (or aren't allowed to) get to the QB & get sacks. They are close to the bottom in defensive 3rd down conversions.

There is so much raw talent on the defensive roster, yet the areas of major concern are almost too numerous to address.

I can't see how it gets fixed when teams like Texas, tenn, & ole miss are coming up. They could all just torch this defense if it doen't do a complete 180. If we can't play defense at an elite level, this season is doomed for mediocrity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.