ADVERTISEMENT

Directv crowd - I stand corrected!!

MCinATL

I’m right. Just ask me
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2013
Ok guys, I’m about to make this more confusing. But hopefully this helps…. I now believe you DO NOT NEED A STREAMING PROVIDER to get the game tomorrow. You only need an ESPN-PLUS subscription.

I was about to sign up for a streaming provider, to get access to the game tomorrow, and ran a last test, trying to see what was supported. Here is what I did:

1) I have a ESPN-PLUS subscription
2) I went into Apple TV
3) started the ESPN app.
4) went to the “+” icon on left sidebar (accessed the ESPN-PLUS content)
5) started watching 4 different live games (including US open), all started no problem.

I found this interesting, so I backed out to the main ESPN viewing menu (which shows all ESPN network content - those delivered thru a TV (ESPN, ESPN2, 3, U, News), and those only delivered streaming (ESPN+)

6) tested a few that were only on the “tv” channels - no joy/enter tv provider
7) tested a few more that were listed as live on PLUS - all worked

One last test - found a few live events that were currently live on ESPN and ESPN-PLUS….

8) went in to a couple such events. It gives you choices: a) Watch live on ESPN, b) Watch live on ESPN+,
9) chose watch live on PLUS - it works
10) chose watch live on ESPN - no joy/enter tv provider

So, assuming that ESPN-PLUS content is all created equal (IE: they treat UGA the same as Davidison’s women’s lacrosse), the game will be viewable, irrespective of the Directv/ESPN troubles.

This was quite eye-opening for me, and I won’t need to sign up for an alternate streamer to get access.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.