ADVERTISEMENT

Do you recall what you were doing on this date, 1977, when The King died?

wayxpython

Diehard supporter
Oct 20, 2011
Willacoochee, GA
I was on Fernandina Beach, before all the other south Georgia rednecks discovered it....now it's nothing but a worthless tourist trap......pure dung!

elvis-presley-9446466-1-402.jpg
030c5d00_z.jpg

Yes sir, I was in my room with my brother and my cousin Jimmy, and we were messing around listening to my Panasonic stereo system when the announcer came on the radio channel and said, “The King is dead. Long live the King of Rock and Roll.”

We looked at each other and raced down the hall to the kitchen and told my Momma that Elvis was dead. Jimmy just said, “Thank God it wasn’t Burt Reynolds.”

I’m a James Brown guy. Just wasn't into Elvis.

But his guitar player, James Burton, is ranked 19 in Rolling Stone's list of 100 greatest guitarists. Played with the Wrecking Crew in LA and they had serious chops. There was an arms race to sign him after Elvis died. Everybody wanted him.

Last edited:
I was in Jump School at Fort Benning and it was hot as hell.. The Black Hat put a few lines in our morning run cadence that still amuse me.

Elvis!
He's dead!
He can't run...
He can't be...
Airborne!
Tough shit..
Here we go
All the Way....
I was in jump school about the time when the Duke was there making the movie Green Berets.

I was on Fernandina Beach, before all the other south Georgia rednecks discovered it....now it's nothing but a worthless tourist trap......pure dung!

030c5d00_z.jpg
I wasn't conceived yet, but my parents weren't Elvis people anyway. Papa Silvera claimed that he had been listening to R&B way before "that asshole" started ripping it off. Momma loves Carly Simon, Roy Orbison and The Everly Brothers, etc. Starting to suspect she was a worthless pothead at some point. They both loved Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings and Merle, though.

I wasn't conceived yet, but my parents weren't Elvis people anyway. Papa Silvera claimed that he had been listening to R&B way before "that asshole" started ripping it off. Momma loves Carly Simon, Roy Orbison and The Everly Brothers, etc. Starting to suspect she was a worthless pothead at some point. They both loved Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings and Merle, though.
Best thing in the world for Willie was Jimmy Carter telling the news media when asked who his favorite musician was and him telling them Willie Nelson, no one knew him. He became a 20 yr overnight sensation.

My boss, Jack Webb (seriously, but not the Dragnet guy) took the whole department to the Red Sox game that evening. Probably, against the Orioles; it seemed we played about 90 games against them every year. I remember discussing it while sitting in the box seats. Elvis seemed so old, fat, and washed up to the 24 year old me. Now, I realize how tragic it was, and he should have been hitting his stride.

I was 16. I remember my mom crying about it. It actually made me pretty sad seeing that someone of that magnitude had passed away.

To put it into perspective; when I was stationed in the UK 4 years later, a British girl I knew had an Elvis poster on the wall in her bedroom. Elvis was as big-time as it will ever get.

Assembling a 426 Hemi engine to go into a Winston Cup Plymouth Roadrunner. The car owner was a UGE Elvs fan and was in a funk for a month. I saw The King perform twice and will admit he put on one helluva 2+ hour show. Had a great voice, too. When he walked on stage it was an incredible explosion of camera flashes and deafening screaming women. Wemenz threw everything imaginable onto the stage along with many hotel room keys. Elvis would stroll along the front of the stage, pick up a key, put it in his pocket or tuck it inside his belt, .... and 50 women would scream and pass out. Hilarious.

Last edited:
Assembling a 426 Hemi engine to go into a Winston Cup Plymouth Roadrunner. The car owner was a UGE Elvs fan and was in a funk for a month. I saw The King perform twice and will admit he put on one helluva 2+ hour show. Had a great voice, too. When he walked on stage it was an incredible explosion of camera flashes. Wemenz threw everything imaginable onto the stage along with many hotel room keys. Elvis would stroll along the front of the stage, pick up a key, put it in his pocket or tuck it inside his belt, .... and 50 women would scream and pass out. Hilarious.
That’s a cool story, thanks for sharing. I bet that was a sight to see.

Reactions: deadduckdawg
That’s a cool story, thanks for sharing. I bet that was a sight to see.
Had seen a lot of all time rock bands and was not really at all a fan until I saw Elvis live. He was an amazing all-world performer. One of the shows was at the old Omni Arena and by complete total accident wound with front row seats in a balcony that overhung the rear corner of the stage. Awesome seats. I shit you not, it was completely blinding and deafening for a good 3 minutes when The King walked up onto the stage from immediately below us. We had a ring side view of the audience, the antics down front, and on stage. He toyed with the audience and the 1st 20 minutes were basically a warm-up. If you have any doubts the guy could really sing goto 21.19 and 1:00.31 below. Shame he died so young like many others in the music business over time.

Last edited:
My boss, Jack Webb (seriously, but not the Dragnet guy) took the whole department to the Red Sox game that evening. Probably, against the Orioles; it seemed we played about 90 games against them every year. I remember discussing it while sitting in the box seats. Elvis seemed so old, fat, and washed up to the 24 year old me. Now, I realize how tragic it was, and he should have been hitting his stride.
You can get anything you want if you're Elvis...........it did him in.

Sidetrack said Elvis had his uncle Travis living upstairs for a long time, created trouble between The King and Priscilla.
260310dd3a7afac31bc9713a2ab80489.jpg
x1080

t77aru6rtaighmk3dqt5
Still can't believe Elvis and Priscilla spawned a Scientologist mudshark who actually stayed married for 107 days to Nicholas Cage, who was perversely in love with Lisa's daddy, not Lisa.

Still can't believe Elvis and Priscilla spawned a Scientologist mudshark who actually stayed married for 107 days to Nicholas Cage, who was perversely in love with Lisa's daddy, not Lisa.
I never understood that one..............wish I could have got with her before it was too late. I wood have treated The King's daughter with some respect.....out of respect for The King.
73197_v9_bb.jpg

I never understood that one..............wish I could have got with her before it was too late. I wood have treated The King's daughter with some respect.....out of respect for The King.
73197_v9_bb.jpg
Yes, she is very attractive, and I'm sure Jocko diddling her didn't wear out any moving parts. There's also the $100 mil of the King's money to consider,

Thank you so much. Had to be really disappointing they moved our guys.
We always thought we knew it was deserted. Our recon was so good. I was on the Recon Committee, we trained our SF’s recon teams. We had people on site days before, just thought it was mostly a show. The captain that came up with the idea was the Colonel IN charge during the Iran rescue mission where the choppers ran into each other, which aborted the mission. But out of Son Tay I think Delta force was thought up and started out at camp McCall.

Reactions: wayxpython

030c5d00_z.jpg

I was working a summer job before my freshman year of college. It was a dirty, nasty job unloading scrap metal at a recycling junk yard. I was unloading a pickup brought in by a couple of older black men. One of them said "well your king died". I had no idea what or who he was talking about at the time but found out later.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT