ADVERTISEMENT

D'ville's UGAA litigation update

donalsonville_dawg

Bird Law Expert
Gold Member
Aug 25, 2014
Atlanta, GA
All -

I'm gearing up for a long weekend, so I thought I'd do a public service and give you folks a one stop shop for an update on UGAA litigation. Please do not worry about me and the dogs I have to feed at home; someone will get billed. Here you go:

1. UGAA v. Seven-Six Apparel

As you may recall, this was a trademark infringement suit filed by UGA. The complaint was extremely detailed related to which designs UGAA found infringed on its IP (you guys pardon me if I'm not using these terms right; this isn't my area of expertise).

Per the docket, this matter has settled, and a consent judgement has been entered. Per the terms of the judgement, 76 basically fell on its sword.

Defendants shall permanently discontinue marketing and sale of any and all merchandise that suggests an association with the University of Georgia (the “University”) and/or the University’s athletic teams and events. This prohibition includes (i) use of registered and common law trademarks and service marks owned by UGAA, as described in Exhibit A to UGAA’s Amended Complaint, ECF No. 20-1, The Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia, and any portions of those marks; and (ii) use of the UGAA Colors, as described in UGAA’s Amended Complaint, ECF No. 20-1, in connection with other source-identifying indicia associated with the University’s athletic teams and events, including without limitation references to the University’s championships and other achievements, geographic indicators of the University’s location, and geographic indicators of the locations of athletic events in which the University participates (the “Prohibited Merchandise”).

The consent judgment was entered on May 12, 2023.

2. Willock v. UGAA

This is the Willock wrongful death suit. About a month ago, it appears his mother filed a motion to intervene as a party. Several of the Defendants have retained counsel, but a few have yet to be served such as Jalen Carter's LLC ("Breadman"). It looks like answers are due by the end of the month. Nothing really substantive is going to happen here for a few weeks or maybe even a few months.

3. State of Georgia v. Adam Anderson

There's a motion to consolidate AA's charges in Clarke and Oconee counties that was filed by AA's attorney. That hearing is set for July 5. It is unclear when this case is going to be tried as its been continued off of both the March and June trial calendars. Considering that the July 5 hearing could have a big impact on the trial, we may still be several months away from a trial here.

I'm happy to answer any questions that don't require rampant speculation about the facts of any of these cases.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.