ADVERTISEMENT

Elon and working from home….

DawgWCK

Letterman and National Champion
Gold Member
Aug 12, 2001

My overall comments:

1. 80% plus of all jobs are more productive at office or job site VS from home
2. The 20% that job that could done mostly from home still lose some overall productivity from not picking up on conversations or life happenings of fellow workers and related
3. Privileged is better word than morally wrong
4. Too many people think they are in the 20% are actually in the 80%.
5. The 20% have stuff that comes up daily that would better be handled F2F or with resources at the office

Good NON - Political item to discuss.

My overall comments:

2. The 20% that job that could done mostly from home still lose some overall productivity from not picking up on conversations or life happenings of fellow workers and related
5. The 20% have stuff that comes up daily that would better be handled F2F or with resources at the office

Yep

My overall comments:

3. Privileged is a better word than morally wrong
4. Too many people think they are in the 20% but are actually in the 80%.

I have to disagree. I do management engineering/consultancy for the USAF and can tell you there are a lot of jobs that can be done from home with more productivity. The primary things that make me unproductive are my co-workers BSing around when I need to work. Also, many salaried employees that work from home tend to work more than 8 hrs a day because they tend to work in spurts throughout the day. If your org is failing in any of those areas then yes productivity from telework could decrease.

1) Does your organization have competent leadership and supervisors?

2) Have employees been given detailed instructions and direction on what's expected from them when teleworking?

3) Have the employees have been given resources to succeed in teleworking? Are you utilizing all the latest in telework software like Office 360 and Teams?

4) Does your org have a well-defined and established training program?

5) What processes are in place for collaboration using telework software?

People like telework which means happy employees generally are productive employees. I think the best solution is a hybrid in-place and telework operation that seeks to capture the best of both worlds.

I have to disagree. I do management engineering/consultancy for the USAF and can tell you there are a lot of jobs that can be done from home with more productivity. The primary things that make me unproductive are my co-workers BSing around when I need to work. Also, many salaried employees that work from home tend to work more than 8 hrs a day because they tend to work in spurts throughout the day. If your org is failing in any of those areas then yes productivity from telework could decrease.

2) Have employees been given detailed instructions and direction on what's expected from them when teleworking?

3) Have the employees have been given resources to succeed in teleworking? Are you utilizing all the latest in telework software like Office 360 and Teams?

People like telework which means happy employees generally are productive employees. I think the best solution is a hybrid in-place and telework operation that seeks to capture the best of both worlds.
Some jobs were effectively being done from home prior to COVID; ie, sales, customer service, etc. Most work better in a team environment with real people around them. There is value in being able to walk down the hall and get a coworkers opinion without having to schedule a call.

My overall comments:

Agreed. Especially if you are younger and need to learn how to do business.

Agreed. Especially if you are younger and need to learn how to do business.
Onboarding new employees is definitely a legitimate challenge.

My consulting firm has allowed Directors and above to work from home for some time and it makes sense with more senior people who are doing consulting/knowledge work. When new business pursuits or projects require face time, as they always do, the time tends to be better utilized and focused given the limited time together and travel/investment involved in getting people there.

Reduced carbon footprint from the lack of a daily commute and more time in your workday are huge benefits.

The problem is how do you effectively onboard the new people and steep them in the culture of the company. We have instituted a formal mentorship program but it’s not the same as being in a busy office day to day.

I'm a software engineer and have been working from home for the last 13 years. I can testify that I'm at least 25% more productive at home than in an office. Also, my team is spread from Virgina to California and we are very efficient and never miss a sprint deadline. Prior to that, I traveled full time for 4 years and spent 7 or 8 years commuting from Woodstock to Dunwoody, Downtown and Alpharetta. I pray I never have to do air travel or commute like that ever again. Having said this I do believe there is something to be said for in person work in my field. I'd have no issue going into an office if I didn't have to spend 1-2 hours a day in the car commuting.

No, if you’re not a groundskeeper, mowing the grass during working hours is a no-no. Same with taking a nap, shopping, and going for a ride. I’ll concede taking a dump and doing the wash.

Your last sentence is good. A hybrid variation seems to be really good, perhaps captures best of both worlds..z

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT