ADVERTISEMENT

Enjoyable true story…..yesterday on my trip home …..

easychair

UGA LOVER
Gold Member
Jan 24, 2003
on the last leg of my flight, from DC to Tampa, I was sitting in my seat awaiting departure. I noticed a tall, athletic looking young man coming down the aisle, wearing a UGA cap. He looked to be about 6’ 4” or 6’ 5” and it was hard to tell, maybe 220 or 225. He sat down in the vacant seat in front of me, and after giving him a couple of minutes to get settled in, I tapped him on his arm and said, “Go Dawgs,” and he said it back at me. I asked if UGA were recruiting him, and what his name was. He said “No“ that he was a former UGA player, Javon Wims. I recognized him then, and asked what team he was with now. He said that he had just signed a contract that day, Wednesday, with the Cleveland Browns, and was on his way back to his home, Miami, to be with his wife, who had just given birth to a new baby boy. I congratulated him on the birth of his baby and on a great career at UGA, that I didn’t remember his ever dropping a pass.

I introduced myself and told him that I was a UGA FB letterman also and gave him some money with which to buy a baby present; at first he wouldn’t accept it. He was very gracious about it, saying, “I can’t accept this.” But I finally convinced him to take it because it was a gift for the baby so he finally accepted it. An elderly woman sitting across the aisle from us, whom I didn’t know was listening, said, “That’s such a wonderful story; I just love this.” After we got off the plane, he asked if I wanted to take a picture with him, so we asked a young guy if he would take our picture, which he did. I then asked the young man if he were an NFL fan, and he said YES! I said this is Javon Wims, a former great WR from UGA who had just signed with the Cleveland Browns. The guy was startled but very pleased and said, “I’m from Cleveland!” We wished Javon good luck with the baby and with the Browns and went our separate ways. He was such a kind and polite young man!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News