ADVERTISEMENT

Few thoughts now that I’m back home from Athens

AthensDawg189

Letterman and National Champion
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2006
I’ll start with offense. Overall it was a good game. We ran well and passed well. Beck had two INT’s, but one was a tipped ball and one was a terrible throw when we had a chance to put the game away. Still way too many drops. Started to see more cohesion on offense as opposed to a spattering of random plays, and I think Bobo is realizing if we are going to win it’s going to be on Becks arm. I’ll give credit, the offensive game plan was good. We did miss some open WR’s and instead opted for riskier throws. Lots of explosive plays. I know it’s easier to see missed blocks than made blocks, but our TE’s and WR’s still don’t seem to be blocking well on the edge.

Defensively I was very perplexed by the game plan. They were getting the ball out quickly, and trying to establish the run. While we were stuffing the run, we were leaving our corners on islands and they were getting burned. Their QB threw a much better deep ball then I thought he could, but didn’t seem to adjust even though they weren’t running well. We have a chance to be elite up front, but we have to have Mykell and Walker in the game at the same time. Those two can get pressure, run with any QB, and are very good against the run. Those two allow us to get pressure without blitzing and that’s what we desperately need right now. I don’t know how long Mondon is out, but we really need him back. Don’t know what’s going on with CJ, but he seems to have regressed a little after a strong start. Harris and Everette struggle in man coverage. If we are going to run man then it’s time for Robinson to sink or swim. He looked better than anyone not named Starks in coverage although it was a much more limited sample size.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.