ADVERTISEMENT

Friend's kid with a 32 ACT score and a 3.5 GPA turned down for admission.

JudgeLarryDawg

Circle of Honor
Oct 7, 2002
From a good high school, just not good enough to get into our school. What does it take, a 4.0? Top score on ACT is 36 so 32 is fantastic score. Accepted at Aub, Ala, Ole Miss, Clemson, etc. Maybe he gave the wrong answer on feelings about hoop skirts.

That spot was held for non caucasian that scored 26 on act.....

and had a 3.2.

I don't think that even gets you close these DAZE ..

UGA Alum have supported this change to UNC lite and UVA lite wholeheartedly. "Makes our degrees look better" - Blah Blah Blah. Georgia is a pu$$y school now, just like those.

with no affirmative action at all, you still wouldn't sniff UGA with a ...

paltry 3.5 these days. Alum has been all for this change. Reap what you sow.

NOT TRUE - google UGA average act score

Overall Enrollment

Overall Enrollment: 34,536
Undergraduate Enrollment: 26,278
First-Year Enrollment: 5,285
2014 First-Year Applications

Applications Received: 21,260
Applicants Admitted: 11,650
New First-Year Students Enrolled: 5,285
High School Core Grade Point Average

Middle 50% of All Enrolled First-Year Students: 3.8 - 4.0
Overall Average of All Enrolled First-Year Students: 3.9
Middle 50% of All Enrolled Honors Students: 4.00 - 4.18
Middle 50% of All Scholarship Students: 4.00 - 4.17
Standardized Tests

SAT-I Middle 50% of Admitted First-Year Students: 1800 - 2060
ACT Middle 50% of Admitted First-Year Students: 28 -32
Overall ACT Average for Admitted First-Year Students: 30
SAT-I Middle 50% of Admitted Honors Students: 2130 - 2240
ACT Middle 50% of Admitted Honors Students: 32 - 34
SAT Middle 50% of Admitted Scholarship Students (CR&M): 1390 - 1490
ACT Middle 50% of Admitted Scholarship Students: 30 - 33

GOOD! I don't need a bunch of slacker kids in there cheapening MY diploma

Need that thing to hold its value in case I need to sell it on EBay.

Stumbled at the start on his 40 time imo. Hips looked suspect. Vent didn't

want him/her anyway.

I don't know a damn thing about the ACT but the average ..

overall average of all UGA students' GPA is a 3.9 and middle 50% is a 3.8 which is why I said in my post that you were not sniffing UGA with a 3.5 GPA.

Unless maybe you made a perfect score on the ACT, which the Judge's friend's kid did not. You must have failed the reading comprehension section of your entry test. You must be one of those older dumb grads like me.

my kids HS soccer team just started to do profiles on all the players.....

for college....height, weight, stats, GPA, pic and etc. I believe there was only 1 that was under a 4.0....and that was a 3.8 I believe. Several had over a 4.0, things are getting more and more competitive out there.

Still hot girls but no dumb hot blonde S GA ones like there used to be ..

No hell raising males. Pu$$y school. They scoff at older alum, they are embarrassed by us - I have no problem scoffing at them. It damn sure ain't my Georgia. Most people appear to be glad it's not my Georgia anymore. That's the way it goes. I'll still pull for the Sports teams but F' the school part of it.

I sold four UGA/auburn tickets and my UGA diploma

On stubhub for $5k this past year. When I accepted their money they told me it was the first time they ever got accepted by anything UGA. It brought a tear to my eye knowing I improved their lives. I've orederd a replacement diploma and planning on doing the same for some lucky alabama kids this year.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

UGA indicates in their admissions materials that they give GPA a higher

weighting. There has been a considerable grade inflation since the advent of Hope and possibly the advent of the "everyone wins" mentality. UGA's theory, apparently, is that someone with a great test score but average grades probably doesn't apply themselves in the classroom. Right or wrong, that's how they make the decisions.

To the original poster - the student should keep in mind that it is a whole lot easier to transfer in than to get accepted as a freshman. If the kid wants to go to Kennesaw, Georgia State, GCSU, etc. for a year to prove themselves, they can usually transfer in, and even if they went on the 5 year plan, in most cases that would be cheaper than going out of state.

My kids arent at that age yet but dont they only take a certain % from

each county? So if you lived in a different county he may have gotten in? We need an AMA with Freddie.

It also depends on the school. Some schools go crazy with grade inflation. Plus, UGA favors the public schools over the private schools. I know. I've got 2 that were graduated from Woodward.

South Carolina is in growth mode. It's at 32,000 now heading towards 35,000, then they'll cap it. In a couple of years it's going to be pretty tough to get in there too. When the Hope kicked in, SC became pretty popular with Atlanta kids. Pretty soon these kids will be forced to consider Ewe T.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Yes - that is the one good thing - they are very friendly to transfers ...

And I am glad of that. My buddy who is a Professor there says there is considerable grade inflation at the school, too. Says the kids are definitely smarter than we were as a whole, but the coursework is really no more demanding than when we were there. Most actually do less than we dummies had to to stay in. Kinda going with the Harvard model is what he told me. Supposedly the hardest thing about Harvard is getting in but once you get in the door, it is one of the less rigorous academic schools in the IVY League.

I take it your friend's kid is a white male from the South

and not some carpetbagger's boy? If so, then there is your answer.

You act like what I said is a bad thing and I didn't say they were all ...

that way. Just said the ones that were didn't get in UGA anymore and I think that is very sad, personally.

We are now the "University of Atlanta transplant's kid" ...

Hooray!

Sheriff.....How was your stay at the

Holiday Inn in Statesboro...I've going in early May for a golf tournament and the suggestion I got was for Springhill Suites

they can be hot & dumb from all over, just leave south GA out of it ...

I'm sensitive like that, tired of fighting the fight.

Let me guess...white guy? He could have stopped there on his app and

moved on to the next school. Bad times to be a white male.

Tell it JB...when I was there you didn't need

to wear shoes and could smoke dope walking to class but it was REAL tough...you even had to attend class sometimes.

Concur. School ain't been the same since they closed...

in the stadium and blocked the RR tracks view.

More people want to live in GA than AL, MS, SC...

The state of Ga has about twice the population of the states in which the other schools she was accepted into are located. Since the enrollment in UGA is not much higher than those other schools, it makes sense that admissions at UGA will be much more competitive.

then go ahead with your oversimplified, exaggerated & offensive self....

Probably why you are fat and without tang.

White people problems....

wink.r191677.gif

Re: Tell it JB...when I was there you didn't need

I'm class of 89', freshmen year was 84'. Pretty sure I wouldn't get accepted on today's standards, and I finished top 7th in my class in high school. Speaking of quotas, according to UGA admissions, they do not have county quotas. Take it FWIW.

don't know the kid obviously, but the gpa is probably the problem...

3.5 is pretty low for admission these days unless he was taking a ton of AP courses in high school. An overall 3.5 with lots of fluff A's in band, art, etc won't get a kid in these days. UGA admissions really looks at the classes taken in high school.

My daughter got in in 2008 with a 3.6 and 31 on the ACT. She took a lot of AP classes and had some joint enrollment classes at Augusta State. The current freshman class had a 3.9 gpa average. It's getting absurd how hard it is to get into Georgia.

You nailed it WR

No way about 80% of the current UGA students could pass English 101 the first time. Just no way. Also, if you weren't prepared for it, college algebra wasn't a joke either. As I understand it, it was more or less the same throughout the entire University System. Those were the two foundation courses that you needed to do well in the rest of your courses. They were also used to weed out, right quick, all the slackers and the dumb asses that managed to somehow make it through the admission's process.
Now days they want to keep everybody in school at all costs, both for the money and to fully instill the "progressive" mantra in all the young skulls full of mush.

It's the same everywhere, fwiw: even the Ivy League and the like.
This post was edited on 3/23 10:44 AM by ShenandoaNewbie

read this the other day that I thought was funny......

"I am from Georgia: Tough girls come from New York. Sweet girls, they're from Texas. But us Georgia girls, we have fire and ice in our blood. We can ride horses, be a debutante, throw left hooks, drink with the boys, love with passion and make sweet tea..and if we have an opinion, you know you're gonna hear it."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT