ADVERTISEMENT

Friend's kid with a 32 ACT score and a 3.5 GPA turned down for admission.

They can ask admissions why but likely either lack of

AP courses, late applying, historical performance of UGA admits from kid's HS caused a GP reduction for admission (UGA tracks that), slots from kid's county / area already filled, in-state admits met, wrong race or sex (yes, that's correct). Uncompetitive.

Kid'll get in after two decent to good semesters at another 4 year school and might as well learn to roll with the punches now. Not end of the world.

It is way, way more than grades. I work in the admin at a private school

and you must take all or at least a high percentage of AP courses offered. They want you to take the most rigorous academic classes avail.

They also want to see a high level of volunteer community service and involvement in other activities on campus to see a well rounded student.

They deny many high grade students because they will not enroll one trick ponies as a rule.

Skip

This post was edited on 3/23 10:58 AM by PotimusWillie

At this point I question the point of college. Loads of debt, marginal

skills learned, and more than half can't get a job after completion. Might be a better investment to save the money, learn a trade, and open up a business.

And you live in Missouri ...

I'll take being fat in Georgia, if 6'1 220 is really fat, and I can just buy the tang if I'm running dry. The benefit is it leaves when I am thru with it, unlike your wife, who has apparently turned you into a woman. You don't need tang - you've already got a vagina.

You started it. Finish it if you want. I've got to work.

: (....now U have done it*

N

This post was edited on 3/23 11:35 AM by Eastmandawg

Read "The End of College" by Kevin Carey.....

The times they are a changin'............

RE: half can't get a job after completion

this is probably a temporary issue with the economy - no need to hire a recent college grad when there is a college grad with 5 years of experience applying for the same job. When the pool of experienced workers gets absorbed with economic recover, we'll see more opportunities for the recent grads.

I know of a couple of recent grads in fields where the skills are marketable (one in risk management, one in nursing) and neither one of them had trouble finding a job.

I think the days of majoring in renaissance poetry and finding a good job post graduation are probably over for a while.

Depends on what you want to do, the days of majoring in...

subjects like sociology, art history, music, psychology, even management and marketing are coming to a close. Degrees need to be in more focused areas where a job requires the knowledge. Taking on large amounts of debt to major in English, math, chemistry, biology, etc to become a teacher is no longer viable. The jobs don't pay enough to pay off the debt.

I'm not sure it ever made economic sense

I know someone who writes on this topic - that was educated at a prestigious college in the 80s, incurred a good deal of student debt, with a major in something they liked (music). She is still paying off student debt and has never really had a job that required a college education.

Majoring in Chemistry or Biology isn't a bad deal - you can get a decent job in those fields.

At the very least, it should only take three years to get a degree...

The first year of college is a complete waste. No one should have to take English/math/science/etc. courses unless they are related to his major. If a person doesn't know what he wants to major in out of high school, he doesn't need to spent $30k to figure it out. He'd be better off taking a year off and backpacking across Europe while trying to figure it out. That would probably be less expensive and a better learning experience anyway.

This post was edited on 3/23 11:57 AM by UgaTom

Aub, Ala, Ole Miss, Clemson, etc.

Are all mid to lower tier rated schools. Gaining admission there is no great accomplishment. Now, Florida or Vandy on the other hand are a little different.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Yep, it depends on what you want to do...

...and if you want to be a clinical psychologist (like me) -- which means completing a doctoral program after college -- an undergraduate degree in psychology can be very useful. You don't NEED to have majored in it to get into grad school, but it's probably in your best interests.

An undergraduate degree in psychology is good for one thing, and that's getting ready for graduate school in psychology. Which is a necessity if you want to make a living at it (i.e., if you want to be a clinical psychologist and see patients). With just an undergrad degree in psychology, you are qualified for...pretty much whatever you were qualified for before college (sales/food service/hospitality). Sad but true.

I don't know that one can make a living as an art historian or sociologist at all, outside of academia.

-- 00 Dawg
This post was edited on 3/23 12:02 PM by UGADawgGuy

My BIL went to St Johns for law school and racked up a ton...

of debt in the early 2000s. He has been paying it off since graduation and still has debt. He thought he was getting a great law education, much better than some state school could give him. Since he went into practice, he has gotten his ass handed to him a couple of times by Georgia Law grads. Now, he says he would advise any kid to go to Georgia to law school if they could get in and save the money.

You're right about chemistry and biology if you want to get a job in research, for a teaching job, it's not a great idea if you have to take on debt to get it.

My boss's daughter went to Furman to get a music/voice degree. She is an opera singer, living in Europe. He paid a fortune for her to go through college and is still subsidizing her in Europe.

When I used to go to 4H camp at Rock Eagle and Wasega

them mountain girls from north Georgia would crawl into your bunk right quick. Those from down our way...............not so much. Just sayin'

Originally posted by conCOCKshon:
It also depends on the school. Some schools go crazy with grade inflation. Plus, UGA favors the public schools over the private schools. I know. I've got 2 that were graduated from Woodward.

South Carolina is in growth mode. It's at 32,000 now heading towards 35,000, then they'll cap it. In a couple of years it's going to be pretty tough to get in there too. When the Hope kicked in, SC became pretty popular with Atlanta kids. Pretty soon these kids will be forced to consider Ewe T.

Posted from Rivals Mobile
Damn! We'll turn into a pussy school like UNcarolina and UVAgina1 No more good ole boys and girls puking their guts up in 5 Points. Our Cocks will morph into Cockettes! This is sickening! Hell! Sherman shoulda just said, 'F- - - it! Go ahead and burn the damn place down!'

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT