ADVERTISEMENT

Georgia COVID death stats thru this morning...

FivePtsDawg

El Guapo
Gold Member
Dec 12, 2001
Dunwoody
Did a little research on the current Covid-related death stats for Georgia, as reported by the GA Dept. of Public Health (https://dph.georgia.gov/covid-19-daily-status-report). Thought it might be interesting to share. Of note, I sent some of these stats to an AJC reporter yesterday after reading some inaccuracies in one of her Covid stories, and she apparently agreed with my numbers and updated hers for the next story she filed:

As of this morning, Georgia was reporting 370 Covid-related deaths

- Only 13 (4%) of those were confirmed not to have any underlying health conditions- Of those 13, only 1 was under the age of 50- 9 were 66 or older
- 218 (58%) were confirmed to have underlying health conditions
- 139 (38%) were listed as Unknown. I think it's safe to infer that since there are 17 times as many patients that are confirmed with underlying conditions than confirmed without, that many- and likely most of them- will end up having had underlying conditions as well.

On the age of those that have passed away due to Covid:

- 83% (308 out of 370) are age 60 or older
- 58% (215 out of 370) are age 70 or older
- 25% (91 out of 370) are age 80 or older
- 10% (37 out of 370) are age 90 or older

Of the 28 people under the age of 50 that have died due to Covid, only 1 is confirmed not to have had an underlying health condition (16 are confirmed with an underlying condition, 11 are listed as Unknown).

It was also reported that at least 81 of the deaths so far (22%) have been of residents in senior care homes.

So what does all this mean? No big surprises, just confirms that the worst outcomes are by far segmented among those over 60 and/or with underlying health conditions. More than anything else, everyone needs to continue to limit or even eliminate contact with those in these groups and make sure the older and/or immuno-compromised especially are quarantining completely if at all possible. I know it's hard, especially with a holiday like Easter coming up, but I even reiterated to my parents last night that there was no way we were getting together with them, even though they feel fine & we do as well. Not worth it at this point, just better to try to ride things out since we're already down this path & try to get things over with as quickly as possible.

Last edited:
Did a little research on the current Covid-related death stats for Georgia, as reported by the GA Dept. of Public Health (https://dph.georgia.gov/covid-19-daily-status-report). Thought it might be interesting to share. Of note, I sent some of these stats to an AJC reporter yesterday after reading some inaccuracies in one of her Covid stories, and she apparently agreed with my numbers and updated hers for the next story she filed:

- Only 13 (4%) of those were confirmed not to have any underlying health conditions
- 139 (38%) were listed as Unknown. I think it's safe to infer that since there are 17 times as many patients that are confirmed with underlying conditions than confirmed without, that many- and likely most of them- will end up having had underlying conditions as well.

Of the 28 people under the age of 50 that have died due to Covid, only 1 is confirmed not to have had an underlying health condition (16 are confirmed with an underlying condition, 11 are listed as Unknown).

It was also reported that at least 81 of the deaths so far (22%) have been of residents in senior care homes.

So what does all this mean? No big surprises, just confirms that the worst outcomes are by far segmented among those over 60 and/or with underlying health conditions. More than anything else, everyone needs to continue to limit or even eliminate contact with those in these groups and make sure the older and/or immuno-compromised especially are quarantining completely if at all possible. I know it's hard, especially with a holiday like Easter coming up, but I even reiterated to my parents last night that there was no way we were getting together with them, even though they feel fine & we do as well. Not worth it at this point, just better to try to ride things out since we're already down this path & try to get things over with as quickly as possible.

Excellent info. I heard an interview with a doctor where he pointed out the real death toll is likely much less due to CDC guidelines for making the determination and incentives. He gave the example that if the virus was on the hospital admissions that the Hospital got a 13k payment from medicare if the cause was listed as the virus, and if the patient had to go into the intensive care unit or be intubated they got 39k if the cause was listed as the virus.

- Only 13 (4%) of those were confirmed not to have any underlying health conditions

Good break down. Sad thing though is by 60 most Americans have some type of pre-existing condition, especially heart and/or weight related. A big key takeaway is to get yourself in good health and maintain it as long as possible.

Wow, great post and a must read. And of the underlying conditions wait until they recalculate the deaths to figure out who died with covid (or appearing to
have covid) v who died from covid.

this state is shut down over less than 400
Deaths over a month and 1 death under the age of 50 not related to an at risk person.

I’m a paramedic and what I’ve noticed is the Covid patients that are/were deteriorating to the point of being placed on a vent they were all over weight...just something I’ve noticed.

We need more fat shaming here in America, and I'm not saying that to be funny. The number of overweight people that consider themselves "healthy" is astounding.

Excellent info. I heard an interview with a doctor where he pointed out the real death toll is likely much less due to CDC guidelines for making the determination and incentives. He gave the example that if the virus was on the hospital admissions that the Hospital got a 13k payment from medicare if the cause was listed as the virus, and if the patient had to go into the intensive care unit or be intubated they got 39k if the cause was listed as the virus.
Italian doctors only listed COVID-19 as the cause of death on 12% of the death certificates for those the government listed as deaths from COVID-19. The source on that is Oxford University.

Not worth it at this point, just better to try to ride things out since we're already down this path & try to get things over with as quickly as possible
We are not done yet with lockdown deliberations IMO. The voices calling for extending them are strong.

If a lockdown of all society is actually the lowest-cost path on this disease then so be it, but a great deal of evidence strongly suggests otherwise.

Wow, great post and a must read. And of the underlying conditions wait until they recalculate the deaths to figure out who died with covid (or appearing to
have covid) v who died from covid.

this state is shut down over less than 400
Deaths over a month and 1 death under the age of 50 not related to an at risk person.
I would shift that statement and say that only 400 have died bc of the shut down.

OP is coming around on this, he's always been a smart guy.

Excellent summary here:

Bingo! I posted an article the other day that found only 0.8% of the Italian deaths involved no severe pre-existing health problems. Very easy to combat this from a personal perspective,

now how long will it be before one of our vent experts comes along and tells you you are spreading inaccuracies and asks you to stop posting for the good of mankind.

I’m a paramedic and what I’ve noticed is the Covid patients that are/were deteriorating to the point of being placed on a vent they were all over weight...just something I’ve noticed.

That falls in line with what the UK was seeing at least a few weeks ago. I believe they stated at around 70% of hospitalizations for COVID-19 were overweight.

Reactions: anon_w4pknohc0ndth

I’m only half joking when I say that I am 73 and can’t think of more than a couple of people in or near my age group who don’t have what might be called a relevant “underlying condition” where the virus is concerned. I’d also venture that a lot of people of that vintage have underlying conditions that they don’t know about or don’t realize they may be germane. Probably safer and smarter for them simply to assume they do.

The amount of lunacy in this thread is "mind bottling"

Care to extrapolate? I really would like to hear your thoughts.

Personally, I'll just say that I don't know that what we did as a society to try to combat this was necessarily the right thing. But because we didn't get out in front of this quicker & more forcefully than we did, it became the only thing we could figure out to do. And once we started it, there was no going back. Like a snowball rolling downhill that turns into an avalanche, there's no way to stop it until it runs its course. Could we have maybe taken a more targeted quarantine approach from the beginning, of the older & immuno-compromised? Maybe. If we had been out in front of the testing (we're still way behind on that. sadly), maybe we again could have been more targeted in our approach. But neither of those happened. And in the absence of that, we got what we're doing now, for better or worse. So we might as well see it through as best we can, to try to get it over with as quickly as we can. But that's also easy for me to say- I still have a job that I can do from home & my income hasn't been directly impacted yet- though with a temporarily dried-up sales pipeline, I'll feel it in my commissions later this year. A lot tougher for those that have lost jobs or seen income reduced or eliminated to say that what we did was absolutely right & we should keep doing it as long as it takes. A lot of different angles to consider.

Yep - for some unexplained reason we have seen a dramatic decrease in deaths from heart disease. Smh

That falls in line with what the UK was seeing at least a few weeks ago. I believe they stated at around 70% of hospitalizations for COVID-19 were overweight.
Yep - around 700,000 die a year from heart disease. So roughly 2,000 a day!!!

and nobody cared but interestingly enough hospitals are seeing a dramatic decrease in deaths from heart disease. Hmmm, wonder why that is.

Last edited:
I’m only half joking when I say that I am 73 and can’t think of more than a couple of people in or near my age group who don’t have what might be called a relevant “underlying condition” where the virus is concerned. I’d also venture that a lot of people of that vintage have underlying conditions that they don’t know about or don’t realize they may be germane. Probably safer and smarter for them simply to assume they do.
Yep and we need to focus our efforts in doing what we reasonably can to protect you. But you have people worried about football players getting other football players sick because they might die. They have a better chance of dying driving to the stadium. Now there are other concerns and we need to address them but we all need an education on the real threat from the virus and who is at risk.

Reactions: George Hayduke

I seriously doubt this is true and sounds like a plausible theoretical concern rather than a practical one. A. The docs writing the notes and billing don't see the disease related group payment, the hospitals do. Coding ARDS vs respiratory failure may be plausible, but the virus has a test, hard to fake. B. If anything cause of death is usually underestimated because there are false-negative tests and those who die without testing being done.

The death toll estimates are coming down (great news!!!) but please remember that this is due to mitigation efforts. The economic impact is tough and there is a high possibility that for some, the economic downturn would be worse than the virus. New York and New Orleans (and even Albany) are cautionary tales for what this could look like if nothing is done. Overall, the projections still estimate a hospital bed shortage and ICU bed storage nationwide.

Another point to remember is the projections assume continued mitigation. If we stop too early, there will be another surge and this could be dragged out even longer.

Yep - around 700,000 did a year from hear disease. So roughly 2,000 a day!!!

mans nobody cared but interestingly enough hospitals are seeing a dramatic decrease is deaths from heart disease. Hmmm, wonder why that is.
Speaking of hospitals, I spoke to a doctor out west this morning who said they are really concerned that they are not seeing enough patients to even break even right now. This is an emergency medicine group. Not some orthopedic group. Front line folks

Yep - for some unexplained reason we have seen a dramatic decrease in deaths from heart disease. Smh

As a cardiologist, there has been a dramatic shift in patient presentations, and I can assure you that it is not a coding phenomena. In reality, patients are afraid to present to the hospital. It's too early to tell how the social elements of COVID will impact cardiac disease. We may see a huge surge of cardiac related deaths due to patient staying home. No one knows and to be honest, it's a bit eerie.

Great info. Thanks for posting.

Speaking of hospitals, I spoke to a doctor out west this morning who said they are really concerned that they are not seeing enough patients to even break even right now. This is an emergency medicine group. Not some orthopedic group. Front line folks
Yep - not an uncommon story.

we have 1 death under 50 without underlying conditions in a state of over 10,000,000.

The other 369 deaths are horrible as is any death but we need to come to a better understanding of the risks from this virus. It isn’t a danger to the vast majority of people but we sure all causing endless Damage to the vast majority of people.

And we can protect those at risk.

We need more fat shaming here in America, and I'm not saying that to be funny. The number of overweight people that consider themselves "healthy" is astounding.
Walked in the door and there on Fox News was a report from the French worried about the USA's obesity problem and how it will effect the Covid-19 death rate. They're calling America "Fat!" Which we are.

Another good buddy got laid off yesterday. That makes 58 associates that I work with in some form have been laid off since last Tuesday. I know one person who has caught the corona and he is just fine. I’ve been on record since the beginning is saying the response is not proportional to the danger.

Anecdotes like this can drive opinions, but should never drive policy. It is completely fair to say that the mitigation efforts harmed you or your friends more than the virus, but irresponsible to say that is reason not to implement them. Risks/benefit must be considered for larger community and long term effects.

Reactions: Kellytownsfinest
As a cardiologist, there has been a dramatic shift in patient presentations, and I can assure you that it is not a coding phenomena. In reality, patients are afraid to present to the hospital. It's too early to tell how the social elements of COVID will impact cardiac disease. We may see a huge surge of cardiac related deaths due to patient staying home. No one knows and to be honest, it's a bit eerie.
No doubt this is a big part of it and good post. I am not a conspiracy theorist but I do understand human nature and there is also almost no way coding isn’t part of it as is any number of other possibilities (such as those who would have suffered a cardiac related death are dying from covid). but eerie is probably the best way to put it).

will be real interesting to look back over total mortality rates.

I am pretty sure Kirby is letting these kids commit in hopes it eliminates these threads from the board.

Reactions: brimur
Anecdotes like this can drive opinions, but should never drive policy. It is completely fair to say that the mitigation efforts harmed you or your friends more than the virus, but irresponsible to say that is reason not to implement them. Risks/benefit must be considered for larger community and long term effects.
Obviously I value your opinion on the medical field more than mine but what should drive policy then? Because if you are saying my anecdotal evidence is not worthy, and maybe it’s not, what medical evidence is out there showing this EXTREME unprecedented response is worthy?

Sure but one is reality and one is a relatively blind guess (as we have never dealt with this before) and those doing the guessing aren’t doing so hot. So his sentiment is very rational - probably the most logical sentiment.

And his experience is backed up by the numbers at large so dismissing it as anecdotal is reckless - there are tens of millions unemployed and only thousands seriously ill from this and most of those are within a very confined age group and were pretty sick people to begin with.

Sure but one is reality and one is a relatively blind guess (as we have never dealt with this before) and those doing the guessing aren’t doing so hot. So that sentiment is very rational - probably the most logical sentiment.

And his experience is backed up by the numbers at large so dismissing it as anecdotal is reckless - there are tens of millions unemployed and only thousands seriously ill from this and most of those are within a very confined age group and we pretty sick people to begin with.

exactly. And why is only one side being considered in these policies. Like it or not economic policy has to be considered, even when lives are on the line. This isnt a war, this isn’t Armageddon, this is a virus with a low mortality rate. We have to stop making policy like it isn’t.

Another good buddy got laid off yesterday. That makes 58 associates that I work with in some form have been laid off since last Tuesday.

I was struck last night while watching The Big Short. Brad Pitt’s character, Ben Rickert says, “Every time unemployment goes up 1%, 40,000 people die.” I can’t find any stats to prove this correlation. I did find one where someone shows how it’s probably closer to 10,000 deaths for every 1% increase in unemployment. If that is true, then whoa Nellie.

Reactions: George Hayduke
If I wanted to hear baseless conspiracy theories on death counts I would have turned on Fox News not the Vent...
The OP literally posted facts about deaths in Georgia.

Maybe I missed it but I haven’t seen a single conspiracy theory post in this thread.

Perhaps you should try harder to refute points. i can’t tell who is more annoying, the ones completely discounting COVID or the ones acting like it’s the end of the earth and shun any positivity/discussion about the actual numbers vs what we now know we’re crazy projections based on faulty assumptions. Both are annoying but as this continues the latter are worse as the results appear far better than what they stated over and over and over again.

can’t tell you how much of my job requires me to go through healthcare charts finding as many co-morbidities as possible to beef up how much we get reimbursed. The sicker they are, or (ahem) that we can make them appear to be, the more money. That’s why I am skeptical of many of these “confirmed cases” and deaths.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT