ADVERTISEMENT

Got the J&J vax today...

And you would lose. Not a Covid crusader, but as a public space UGA could require something like that if they wanted. It would not meet any sort of discrimination law, and as much as we all want to believe it is....it is not a God given right, or even written in the constitution that we should be allowed to attend sporting events.
Maybe so but they will be made to explain a first-time-ever requirement that I ingest a not-yet-fully approved substance to utilize the tickets I already paid for.

The right to require people meet your conditions to attend your public space is not unlimited. This is getting on totally unprecedented and dangerous ground to coerce people into undertaking a personal medical decision *UGA has never required before*.

Well as the most UGA thing ever, you could end up like me. I went and got the vaccine after a year of smooth sailing thru the pandemic. Then caught Covid last week.....lol So I think once vaccinated there is supposed to be about a 10 percent chance you can still catch Covid, I was part of the lucky 10 percent.
Yeah I’ve definitely thought of that. Probably 50’percent Chance.

Maybe so but they will be made to explain a first-time-ever requirement that I ingest a not-yet-fully approved substance to utilize the tickets I already paid for.

The right to require people meet your conditions to attend your public space is not unlimited. This is getting on totally unprecedented and dangerous ground to coerce people into undertaking a personal medical decision *UGA has never required before*.
Agreed. My guess is they could require students to vaccinate and get away with it. But they would have to refund your dough if you didn’t want to vax and they required it. They won’t do either.

Reactions: BigDaddyDawgBreath

Oh, I am sure they would refund you your money if you had paid for seasons tickets. And I am also sure they will send out a notification of all this if it even becomes a thing. And they would not be telling you, you have to get vaccinated....it would still be your choice. They would just be telling you that you wont attend their event. Plus, even if it is a thing, it would be for one year at most. Eventually this will become like a flu shot, just this first year out they are probably going to cautious.
The good news for you so you don't waste money on a lawyer and get nothing for it.....it looks like the NFL is going to be full steam ahead for regular attendance. If the NFL does it and has no requirements, I am sure colleges will follow suit.

Well as the most UGA thing ever, you could end up like me. I went and got the vaccine after a year of smooth sailing thru the pandemic. Then caught Covid last week.....lol So I think once vaccinated there is supposed to be about a 10 percent chance you can still catch Covid, I was part of the lucky 10 percent.
If you have a citation to the 10% number it would be great to see it. What literature I have seen says the actual infection after vaccine percentage is unknown and basically unknowable right now because it was not tested for in the trials - and again we are only a couple of months into using these vaccines. The potential unknowns are very large right now.

If you have a citation to the 10% number it would be great to see it. What literature I have seen says the actual infection after vaccine percentage is unknown and basically unknowable right now because it was not tested for in the trials - and again we are only a couple of months into using these vaccines. The potential unknowns are very large right now.
I took the Pfzier version, they just released yesterday or the day before their updated percentages. That is where I got the number from.....look I know you love this stuff....and I definitely don't want to get you rolling on one of your 1500 word stat essays. Just saying I saw the odds as they stated them. If that doesn't agree with your well studied numbers, then I will concede whatever percentage makes you happy. :)

HeartfeltMagnificentCricket-size_restricted.gif

Oh, I am sure they would refund you your money if you had paid for seasons tickets. And I am also sure they will send out a notification of all this if it even becomes a thing. And they would not be telling you, you have to get vaccinated....it would still be your choice. They would just be telling you that you wont attend their event. Plus, even if it is a thing, it would be for one year at most. Eventually this will become like a flu shot, just this first year out they are probably going to cautious.
The good news for you so you don't waste money on a lawyer and get nothing for it.....it looks like the NFL is going to be full steam ahead for regular attendance. If the NFL does it and has no requirements, I am sure colleges will follow suit.
I think you are underestimating the legal issues with doing this. If you think a lot of legal hours aren't being billed right now among those who want to do this then I think you are mistaken (and not saying you think those things are not happening behind the scenes).

There is a line out there where public and private entities cannot utilize the "I can refuse service to anyone" principle. This line (at least) is very well established. We literally have never been in this situation before but I think many smart lawyers can make a compelling case that dictating a private medical decision for a substance that was only tested to protect the user and is still in emergency and untested status is not something the law allows.

Like you said, hopefully we will never see. I wish people would get the hell out of everyone else's business and move on.

I think you are underestimating the legal issues with doing this. If you think a lot of legal hours aren't being billed right now among those who want to do this then I think you are mistaken (and not saying you think those things are not happening behind the scenes).

There is a line out there where public and private entities cannot utilize the "I can refuse service to anyone" principle. This line (at least) is very well established. We literally have never been in this situation before but I think many smart lawyers can make a compelling case that dictating a private medical decision for a substance that was only tested to protect the user and is still in emergency and untested status is not something the law allows.

Like you said, hopefully we will never see. I wish people would get the hell out of everyone else's business and move on.
HeartfeltMagnificentCricket-size_restricted.gif

I took the Pfzier version, they just released yesterday or the day before their updated percentages. That is where I got the number from.....look I know you love this stuff....and I definitely don't want to get you rolling on one of your 1500 word stat essays. Just saying I saw the odds as they stated them. If that doesn't agree with your well studied numbers, then I will concede whatever percentage makes you happy. :)
I should charge by the word for my wisdom. Kind of like a lawyer... ;)

What I said is true - the vaccines were not tested for stopping virus spread. We will see how it pans out.

I think the NFL should be sued for going to 17 games in light of CTE research (note - this would constitute derailing a thread)

Last edited:
I am totally conflicted as to whether to get one of the vaccines. I had Covid over Christmas Break. The unknown has always been the enemy for me personally with so many things in life and the vaccines

I don't judge the ones getting the shots or avoiding the shots. There's a solid argument to both sides.

I am totally conflicted as to whether to get one of the vaccines. I had Covid over Christmas Break. The unknown has always been the enemy for me personally with so many things in life and the vaccines

I don't judge the ones getting the shots or avoiding the shots. There's a solid argument to both sides.
This. All damn day this.

Do what your own intelligence, conscience and medical situation requires.

Whatever choice you make I hope it turns out well for you.

I thought you were going to represent me pro bono?

You are the lawyer and I am not, but if the legal system will so casually dismiss a lawsuit from a person denied entry to something they paid for because they will not take a substance not fully approved under safety testing then the legal system sucks.
1. The legally system absolutely will casually dismiss it. Wont even get past a judge.

2. You’d get your money back if that helps. Your tickets are a revocable license, not a birthright.

3. This is all academic as hell because UGA almost certainly isn’t going to require vaccines to get into the football stadium.

You have it. And it almost kills you, I understand the fight you are talking about. Trust me. I realize what you are speaking of. I get it. Posting bad vaccine experiences is no different than what you see on tv about the virus. Fear. Liability is a tricky thing now that possible prevention is out there. That is the two way street friend. You think lawyers are chomping at the bit to jump on your side with that. Just wait, the first suit is coming when it is believed a non vaccinated person kills someone with it. Bat shit crazy is right. I am biased. I fully admit it. After the hell I went thru, I hear people say this, and see people post this kind of thing, and the desire to choke them out rolls over me. Maybe I am the wrong person to give you my opinion. That is why I wanted to leave it at that. (Nothing I respect more than someone in the military as well)

speaking of liability, at least the big pharma companies are liable for the vaccines that they manufacture and are attempting to mandate. 😐

Last edited:
1. The legally system absolutely will casually dismiss it. Wont even get past a judge.

2. You’d get your money back if that helps. Your tickets are a revocable license, not a birthright.

3. This is all academic as hell because UGA almost certainly isn’t going to require vaccines to get into the football stadium.
Yep, people get thrown out of sporting events all the time. Some for being physically disruptive but many for just yelling things during the game. If there was some entitlement tied to the tickets, those same people could sue the teams. I am sure some have, I haven't heard of many of them if any winning. And they don't even get their money back.

Plus, they can tie any requirement to a ticket they want...if you don't like it you don't have to buy the ticket. The only way you win is if they denied you entrance due to your race, or age, or sexuality, etc. If you don't like that they ask for a vaccine passport, then don't go....but they are not violating any of your rights. As you said, its all academic, but if they decided to do it....folks would just have to live with it.

Yep, people get thrown out of sporting events all the time. Some for being physically disruptive but many for just yelling things during the game. If there was some entitlement tied to the tickets, those same people could sue the teams. I am sure some have, I haven't heard of many of them if any winning. And they don't even get their money back.

Plus, they can tie any requirement to a ticket they want...if you don't like it you don't have to buy the ticket. The only way you win is if they denied you entrance due to your race, or age, or sexuality, etc. If you don't like that they ask for a vaccine passport, then don't go....but they are not violating any of your rights. As you said, its all academic, but if they decided to do it....folks would just have to live with it.

religous rights. Some people take issue with how certain vaccines are manufactured using human diploid lung fibroblasts from aborted fetuses.

There is too much irrational fear about all this. What is really scary is to think there is talk about mandating unproven vaccines in order to do normal things like attend a football game.

Stats from the CDC as of 3.24.21:
Deaths with Covid
Ages 0-17 238 (238 under age 18 in a year!....and they want to vaccinate kids smdh)
Ages 18-29 1,916
Ages 30-39 5,583
Ages40-49 15,134
Total under 50 = 22,871 (That's it.....Total deaths for all OTHER causes in US under 50 in the last year = 348,332
Total population under 50 = 215,000,000 (had to extrapolate since couldn't find a cutoff at 49)
Fatality rate for under 50 after 13 months of the virus running rampant = .0000106 (mind you this doesn't even account for your chances being even lower if you are healthy)

As I have stated all along. Protect the elderly and the severely immune compromised by quarantine if they wish. Give massive support to the health care providers of the elderly. Practice common sense: stay home if you feel sick, don't go out with a hacking cough or a fever.. Everyone else should be living a normal mask free life. If you want to stick an unknown in your arm than I will fight tooth and nail for your right to do it...just don't expect me to do it or we are going to have a problem.

Good luck with that one.
The religious exemption is important and generally interpreted pretty broadly. Can go into any deeply held moral or ethical belief.

I also think the sweeping predictions all of this will obviously stand up in court is premature. This is a totally new event in human activity and the idea there are no legal issues involved seems out over the skis right now.

The religious exemption is important and generally interpreted pretty broadly. Can go into any deeply held moral or ethical belief.

I also think the sweeping predictions all of this will obviously stand up in court is premature. This is a totally new event in human activity and the idea there are no legal issues involved seems out over the skis right now.
I will stick with my answer, good luck with tying religious rights with access to a football game. You are right who knows what they would and wouldn't consider....but I feel confident this one wouldn't fly.

• Haha
Reactions: CalienteDawg
religous rights. Some people take issue with how certain vaccines are manufactured using human diploid lung fibroblasts from aborted fetuses.
Good luck with that one.
With the caveat, again, that I think this is all an academic discussion...

I think Arsenal is right that IF UGA required proof of vaccine to go to games that there would have to be some exemptions (medical, religious, otherwise) allowed for in order for it to be legal.

Again, it's not going to happen because it would be a PR nightmare and also create a lot of infrastructure and hassle to implement and enforce (especially considering the free flow of tickets from one person to another), but I think there would have to be some exemptions.

A couple of thoughts:

1. If I get the vaccine and it prevents me from getting covid, then I cannot transmit it. People with the virus, shed it. The more virus you have in your body, the more you shed and can transmit to other. The less virus I have, the less chance I have of shedding it and transmitting it to others. Even if I get the covid after being vaccinated, but my body is better at fighting it off because of the vaccine, it would also imply that I my ability to transmit it has decreased as well.

2. If you say that up to half of all health care workers declined the vaccine, that would seem to indicate that the rest (presumably more than half) chose to get the vaccine.

3. I'm not sure how fundamental your right is to attend a UGA football game. While I highly doubt there will be any litmus test of having had the vaccine for numerous reasons, UGA can deny you entry if you don't use a clear bag of a certain dimension, if you take an umbrella, etc - those seem much more arbitrary than if you are unvaccinated.

I wonder if the same people who are ok with Covid vaccine passport are also ok with implementing an HIV passport for games?

Reactions: colquittcodawg
A couple of thoughts:

1. If I get the vaccine and it prevents me from getting covid, then I cannot transmit it. People with the virus, shed it. The more virus you have in your body, the more you shed and can transmit to other. The less virus I have, the less chance I have of shedding it and transmitting it to others. Even if I get the covid after being vaccinated, but my body is better at fighting it off because of the vaccine, it would also imply that I my ability to transmit it has decreased as well.

2. If you say that up to half of all health care workers declined the vaccine, that would seem to indicate that the rest (presumably more than half) chose to get the vaccine.

3. I'm not sure how fundamental your right is to attend a UGA football game. While I highly doubt there will be any litmus test of having had the vaccine for numerous reasons, UGA can deny you entry if you don't use a clear bag of a certain dimension, if you take an umbrella, etc - those seem much more arbitrary than if you are unvaccinated.

Not permitting smoking in the stadium might be a good analogy. No one is saying people do not have the right to smoke, but if you want to smoke, you can't do so at your seats as there is increased risk of harming others.

Reactions: athensjohn
With the caveat, again, that I think this is all an academic discussion...

I think Arsenal is right that IF UGA required proof of vaccine to go to games that there would have to be some exemptions (medical, religious, otherwise) allowed for in order for it to be legal.

Again, it's not going to happen because it would be a PR nightmare and also create a lot of infrastructure and hassle to implement and enforce (especially considering the free flow of tickets from one person to another), but I think there would have to be some exemptions.
I will yield the legal part since you do it for a living, but I still think not many could sue and win if enforced.

I agree they wont do it, but I don't think it would be hard to implement at all. They are already talking about making vaccine passports you would put on your phone. And I am sure they will be creating a physical copy version as a option as well. Because outside of football, a lot of travel is expected to require proof of vaccination before you can get on a cruise or fly to another country.

As a lifelong UGA fan - Was convinced that if I did get covid it would be after the vaccine was available and it would lead to a terrible outcome. Decided not to tempt fate. Had I been a Bama fan I wouldn’t have wasted my time.
point of the post was to make fun of our plight as Georgia fans. Not to promote the vaccine. Lord knows I've been in more restaurants / bars maskless than just about anyone, and I could care less who gets it and who doesn't. So long as it is their choice. Honestly surprised I got a wild hair and did it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT