ADVERTISEMENT

Great visit to Swainsboro, Metter

BillVol

National Champion
May 29, 2001
We visited with friends in Metter over the weekend. While there, they took us to Berni's on West Main restaurant in Swainsboro. A great place in a great little town. The whole time, I wondered about Swainsboro Dawg, who was a friend on here when I used to post more often. Hope he is doing well. On Sunday, we went to Primitive Grove Primitive Baptist Church in Cobbtown, which is outside of Metter. What a neat, old school church. Our friends told us the entire congregation, even if smallish, is made up of Dawgs. It was fun talking football, and we took just a little ribbing. The preacher, though, is a Tech fan. So all that was fun. There was a delicious meal at the church after the service. And the sermon was very good. The church has no asphalt parking lot. You just park on grass. Now, that is old school and country. I love all of Georgia, but there is something about South Georgia that gets me. I guess Metter is South Georgia. Maybe it is Middle. Anyhow, it is a great area.

We also visited the Guido Gardens in Metter, which really brought things full circle for me. When we moved to Chattanooga a long tme ago, we would see Michael Guido's "Seed of the Sower" one-minute sermon every morning before school. The show was broadcast only in Georgia, but I guess we got it because Chattanooga stations broadcast into North Georgia. That little chirping bird that starts out the show brings me back to my first days living here. So we visited the Gardens, which was a neat experience. We even went by Dr. and Mrs. Guido's gravesite. That was not on the agenda, but while getting a tour of the area, our hosts said they were buried there, so I asked if we could see. You can hear many of those sermons on YouTube.

And that is my trip report! Oh yeah, while driving down I-16, we saw signs for exit to Eastman! I said no way are we going there! Just kidding, Eastman Dawg.

We visited with friends in Metter over the weekend. While there, they took us to Berni's on West Main restaurant in Swainsboro. A great place in a great little town. The whole time, I wondered about Swainsboro Dawg, who was a friend on here when I used to post more often. Hope he is doing well. On Sunday, we went to Primitive Grove Primitive Baptist Church in Cobbtown, which is outside of Metter. What a neat, old school church. Our friends told us the entire congregation, even if smallish, is made up of Dawgs. It was fun talking football, and we took just a little ribbing. The preacher, though, is a Tech fan. So all that was fun. There was a delicious meal at the church after the service. And the sermon was very good. The church has no asphalt parking lot. You just park on grass. Now, that is old school and country. I love all of Georgia, but there is something about South Georgia that gets me. I guess Metter is South Georgia. Maybe it is Middle. Anyhow, it is a great area.

We also visited the Guido Gardens in Metter, which really brought things full circle for me. When we moved to Chattanooga a long tme ago, we would see Michael Guido's "Seed of the Sower" one-minute sermon every morning before school. The show was broadcast only in Georgia, but I guess we got it because Chattanooga stations broadcast into North Georgia. That little chirping bird that starts out the show brings me back to my first days living here. So we visited the Gardens, which was a neat experience. We even went by Dr. and Mrs. Guido's gravesite. That was not on the agenda, but while getting a tour of the area, our hosts said they were buried there, so I asked if we could see. You can hear many of those sermons on YouTube.

And that is my trip report! Oh yeah, while driving down I-16, we saw signs for exit to Eastman! I said no way are we going there! Just kidding, Eastman Dawg.
HA!……better watch it, some of those folks will cut you down there if they know you’re a Tennessee fan.

Been away from that area for over a 100 years, in Saint Louis area now.

Grew up in Vidalia & Eastman. Still have friends and family down that way…….also in Metter. I know where Cobbtown is, surprised that small community is still even around.

South Georgia is a very unique area, if you can understand anything they are saying…..I certainly have trouble sometimes.

But after a beer or two….I am just like’em again.

Even though you’re from Tennessee…..it had to have been a culture shock down there for you.

Glad you got to experience a church down that way, definitely different……revival time is also definitely different. Always felt guilty going in and even more guilty leaving. Never a good feeling…..but I guess I was no angel back then, still not.

Next time your down there, try out a Holiness church….you will really think you’re in another world.

Good times growing up down that way, kinda like Mayberry for me……but pretty dang sure I don’t want to move back.

Not sure where Swainsboro is now, last I heard he was in Oklahoma and still in the service I believe…..but that has been years ago.

STILL…..15 & 0 FWIS.

Last edited:
My Dad invited the Guido’s over to our house once after he spoke at our church. I can’t remember much about it, but thinking how much he smiled. He seemed very genuine and loved my Mom’s fried chicken and potato salad. My Dad always supported his ministry.

you should post here more, Bill...

if I remember old souls...
you get the picture.

My Mom was born in Metter.
She used to say "everything is better in Metter".

Glad you posted. This thread is better than 99% of them.

Thanks for the comments. The "Everything's Better in Metter" slogan is all over town.

Other stuff...

Metter HS has won a couple state baseball titles recently, including at least one over Gordon Lee, which is near Chattanooga. So we've seen Metter in the local papers.

I remembered Lavon Mercer, former Dawg basketball player who went to Metter HS. One of our hosts knew him.

Eastman, they had just finished revival that week. Funny you mention that. Maybe all churches have it this week. I guess I should know. Interesting about the Holiness church. I will definitely look into that. "Primitive" church sounded strange, but it was fine. I think there are other versions of that denomination that are more old school -- no musical instruments, etc. It is a culture shock being there, but in a good way. Seeing cotton, peanuts, pecan, pine straw, etc., industries is fascinating to me.

Speaking of...what always makes me laugh is the different pronounciations of "pecan." Around here (Chattanooga, North Georgia, and the entire state of Tennessee), people have a heart attack if you say "pea-can." You will even be called a yankee. But in South Georgia, where there are rows and rows of pecan trees, that's how they say it. When we said "puh-cahn" to our friends, they said, "What? Are you from France?" LOL

• Love
Reactions: blackpug6

Seeds from the Sower. Great memories. Is the there still a highway marker recognizing him?

Thanks for the comments. The "Everything's Better in Metter" slogan is all over town.

Other stuff...

Metter HS has won a couple state baseball titles recently, including at least one over Gordon Lee, which is near Chattanooga. So we've seen Metter in the local papers.

I remembered Lavon Mercer, former Dawg basketball player who went to Metter HS. One of our hosts knew him.

Eastman, they had just finished revival that week. Funny you mention that. Maybe all churches have it this week. I guess I should know. Interesting about the Holiness church. I will definitely look into that. "Primitive" church sounded strange, but it was fine. I think there are other versions of that denomination that are more old school -- no musical instruments, etc. It is a culture shock being there, but in a good way. Seeing cotton, peanuts, pecan, pine straw, etc., industries is fascinating to me.

Speaking of...what always makes me laugh is the different pronounciations of "pecan." Around here (Chattanooga, North Georgia, and the entire state of Tennessee), people have a heart attack if you say "pea-can." You will even be called a yankee. But in South Georgia, where there are rows and rows of pecan trees, that's how they say it. When we said "puh-cahn" to our friends, they said, "What? Are you from France?" LOL

it's a touchy subject around those who are aroused by such nonsence;
call it, never apologize if you know you are correct.

my best bud Finally found a woman.
he no longer gives a rat about pugster.
in his defense;
he was a raging alcoholic,
went to rehab,
not one bit of recidivism.

people grow apsrt.?

Last edited:
I often wondered if,...back in the 1800s,...people on horse and carriage would say upon entering the town,..."everything is better in metter" as they do today and as the Ford dealership would say in the commercials

Reactions: BillVol
it's a touchy subject around those who are aroused by such nonsence;
call it, never apologize if you know you are correct.

my best bud Finally found a woman.
he no longer gives a rat about pugster.
in his defense;
he was a raging alcoholic,
went to rehab,
not one bit of recidivism.

people grow apsrt.?
I feel your pain. All my buddies are dead except for a couple who moved away. I don’t even carry a telephone anymore. The good side is when drinking alone you don’t get in arguments.

indeed!
problem is coffee predawn predates you old farts< eh?
a joke.

I make donuts at 0430.!?
I feel your pain. All my buddies are dead except for a couple who moved away. I don’t even carry a telephone anymore. The good side is when drinking alone you don’t get in arguments.

"...every bit is how one handles adversity..."
PUG

Reactions: deadduckdawg

Glad you enjoyed your trip to Metter, and particularly glad your friends brought you to Primitive Grove, I am a member and Deacon at Primitive Grove. Our Church was formed in 1907, and through the generations have continued to serve the Lord in our community, so I guess you can call us “old school”. Please come back to visit us when you are back in our area, and Go Dawgs!

Other stuff...

I get that here in Columbia too. Everyone around here calls the nut a "puh-CAHN". But down in the land of the nut itself, where there are thousands of trees out to the horizon, I grew up saying "PEE-cans". One of my 'Southernisms' I just will not let go of. Dam the goofy looks I get when I mention "PEE-can pie" as one of the major food groups.

Glad you enjoyed your trip to Metter, and particularly glad your friends brought you to Primitive Grove, I am a member and Deacon at Primitive Grove. Our Church was formed in 1907, and through the generations have continued to serve the Lord in our community, so I guess you can call us “old school”. Please come back to visit us when you are back in our area, and Go Dawgs!
Hey, we're talking to Danny and Cindy right now on the phone and they told me about your message! I'm sorry I missed it. I usually get a prompt. It's a small world. We loved the church and everything about our visit. I will pay better attention in the future!

Reactions: deadduckdawg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT