ADVERTISEMENT

Gumps fretting over the QB situation posts....

kckd

Circle of Honor
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2001
The QB position is overrated Gump: I will go on record now to say that I do not give a rip who the QB is as long as he does not turn the ball over. I am more interested in how we play team football this season and how Rees attacks opposing defenses. The sight of Jam Miller sprinting to the zone is what I am looking forward to.

The first team to win a national title in fifty years with a QB that has a less than 50 completion percentage? Gump: We certainly have the talent to do just that. With a re-inspired defensive team and renewed emphasis on tough, physical play in the trenches on offense, I think we get it done in historical fashion.

"We don't need Milroe to be spectacular, just a game manager like Lamar Jackson" Gump: It has been said that one of the reaons Jalen Hurts arrived on the scene was the defeat handed to Alabama by Nick Marshall who couldn't throw well but could threaten the corners well enough to toss the ball to his uncovered receiver. To me Lamar Jackson is much the same and has improved his passing over the years. Can Milroe become a Lamar Jackson as awkward as he is throwing the football? Maybe! A great defense will attempt to limit his running and force him to win by throwing the ball. Can he do that in 2023? I imagine that it will be frustrating to watch after the string of great QB's we have enjoyed.

"Change is not always a choice . Sometimes you're forced." Gump: I don't think I could stand to watch Milroe throw it all around this year. This much I know, we'd struggle to win a lot of our games if that's going to be our offensive MO.

"Nick playing chess over checkers with NIL. Getting 'em all ready cause they all gonna play" Gump: I don't think you can retain your skill players in this NIL-transfer era relegating your depth to only mop up duty. If I were a coach, if I want to keep you on the roster, I better have a plan to get you in the game. QBs included...

The Gump who upset the apple cart: But the question is this…CNS will prob pick the best of the bunch guy to start at QB…..but it still doesn’t mean ANY of them are capable of taking this team to a championship level.

Rolo Gump: I'll have to watch them play to see what kind of vibe I get. Unless it's Milroe. I'm not watching him. (This guy also thinks Bryce was not that good, thus the name.)

"Don't tell them they suck" Gump:
In the film Apollo 13, one of the flight technicians tells Ed Harris' character after they have jettisoned the service module and it is just the command module falling to Earth that they are a little flat in their trajectory and asking whether they should tell the astronauts. Ed Harris asks, "Is there anything we can do about it at this point?" The other guy says, "No." Ed Harris says, "Then don't tell them."
At this point Bama has the QBs Bama has got for the 2023-24 season.
If none of them is championship caliber, Bama cannot go out and get another one for this season, so the coaching staff should not tell anyone, not even the QBs themselves. Play the best one, coach him up, and hope he improves over time.

"Bammer: the only university that has a four man race for QB and one is a future NFL MVP" Gump:
Milroe is interesting, I think he’s a much better passer than Marshall was but not as good a passer as Lamar is but I tell ya what if he has a season like 2016 Lamar, he’ll be a top 10 draft pick next year.

I would hope that Milroe won’t have to run as much as Marshall or Lamar though considering the depth we have at RB.

"Ty Simpson, the chocolate that looked great but Mama says you should have left it in the box" Gump:
He's supposedly got time with 1's vs. 1's in situation work, so I guess he's had some chances there.

It's really disappointing he hasn't taken advantage of JM's failure to improve because I don't think there is very much debate on which of the top 3 QBs has the most arm talent.

But it sounds like it's the "six inches between his ears" that's the real issue.

It's like Baghdad Bob is our beat writer Gump:
BTW, every "ad" I've seen on FB about Alabama football is touting JM as the Bama starter. The "machine" is in motion.

We discussed it a little, but I just don't understand the fascination with promoting one guy above the others based on the reports of "eye witnesses" that JM is no better than what we saw last year.

I don't know if this is a case of people "hedging their bets" to try to later say, "See, I was right about who would start" OR if this is a case of "believing what you WANT to believe" OR something else, but at this point it's getting comical IMO.

"When you got two qbs, you may have zero QBs, but when you got 4 QBs, you got a stew going on" Gump: As of yesterday...all 4 QBs were apparently getting 1st team reps

carl-weathers-stew.gif

"Saban just seeing who the leader is.....less than two weeks before the opener" Gump: I'm taking this news to mean there are factions. Saban is waiting to see who the team will follow and rally behind. Lonergan may have a shot this year.

Chris Farley Gump: For the love of God, can someone just win this freaking thing already.

countingvotes-lets.gif

"Rees, the Will Hunting of OCs" Gump: He strikes me as a man who can design 4 different plans and move back and forth between them.

"I found this cool Bible verse that may describe what's going on here. Never heard it before. What do you think? Gump: I don't think I have ever seen a QB race that had four contenders this late into camp. It is odd to have three guys who may have a chance to start, but having four is crazy. I hope it means that they are all progressing and that iron is sharpening iron (Proverbs 27:17 “As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another”. ) All of these guys have skills, so I hope a championship level QB rises from the pack.

"Also, we should think about this "LEAVE NO DOUBT" thing I came up with" Gump: I'm just ready to see us absolutely get after folks again. I'll always take a win, even when it is only by one point and we played poorly. However, I like it a lot more when our guys walk off the field and LEAVE NO DOUBT about who the better team was.

2 plus 2 equals zero Gump: I think we can all agree at this point that if you have 4 QB's, you don't have any QB's.

"Saban got it all under control....except for the last two seasons" Gump:
I've had the vibe for some time that Saban feels like he can win with any of these guys at QB.

He's way too chill to have this is a huge question mark.

FBI mind reading expert Gump:
this is different…don’t ask me how. It’s just different. I’ll never be an x’s and o’s guy. But I know people.

I am not sure saban ever really felt comfortable with the whole “air bama” thing. He would talk it up like “hey this is just the game now”. Whatever saban is doing now. He really believes it’s going to work and seems pretty comfortable.

"These fall camp videos just look so much better than the past few years" Gump: It looks like the contact they are making with each other in this video is a little faster/harder than previous years. I also LOVE that those sleds are getting beat up. These boys look like they are going thru these drills with more urgency and tenacity than I remember recently.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News