ADVERTISEMENT

Helicopter Parents

Overfeddawg1

National Champion
Gold Member
Aug 13, 2017
Serious question...

To what extent are college football HC's, especially the big time/elite program HC's like Kirby, Saban, Dabo, etc. obligated to put up with these types? The Pablo Field's and the LaVar Ball's and the Al Martell's of the world? This isn't like High School where the players are minors. These kids are over 18, at least 99% of them are. Shouldn't dealing with parents be 99% over as well? I understand that they have to be respectful and polite to an extent and represent the University well, but where does it end? Is it understood that the father of the 5 Star they signed last December (or that just transferred in) is going to have access to practice and/or be a pain in the HC's ass if they aren't happy? Are coaches expected to have sit downs with these parents so they can listen to Pops bitch about his sons lack of playing time or the offensive scheme or whatever else they think is standing in the way of their child's Superstardom?

Can't the HC just say, "You are not a player, a student, or a member of the staff here. You don't have access to practice. You can't come in the locker room. You don't come to my office unless you've made an appointment. You are the parent of a student who attends this University and plays on the football team. My obligation as coach is with the student athlete, not with you. We look forward to having you in the stands on Saturday. Have a nice day."

What is the reality of having to deal with these overbearing parents at the college level?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News