ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Higher mortality rate in Italy?

SanDiegoDawg1

Stranger in a Strange Land
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2015
Over 7%. 1809 out of 24,747. Am I reading the stats wrong? That would be almost double the rate from China. Italians in worse shape? More older people in Italy? Worse healthcare in Italy? Underreporting in China? Genetic differences between the populations?

Over 7%. 1809 out of 24,747. Am I reading the stats wrong? That would be almost double the rate from China. Italians in worse shape? More older people in Italy? Worse healthcare in Italy? Underreporting in China? Genetic differences between the populations?

Probably a combination of under reporting from China, coupled with the fact that Italy is one of the oldest countries per person in the world AND they all smoke. Plus, they are a very touchy culture - they like to hug and greet with cheek kisses. My wife used to work for an Italian company and she said she is not surprised by the level of spread based on the way they like to socialize.

They do have a notably older pop but 7% is just too high for justification given the data elsewhere. That total cases denominator has to be higher than they have been able to measure.

I really question the rates simply because everyone that gets sick doesn't get tested. For the most part probably only those with the worst progressive symptoms get tested, which of course would yield a higher rate.

Reactions: Bigdawg148
Older age and overwhelmed hospitals are the two biggest culprits. Probably a mix of the other things you mentioned as well though. I expect the real mortality rate to end up being somewhere around 1.5% with anyone over 60 being significantly higher numbers.

Reactions: shonuff253
Not sure about the average age, but a lot of people in China smoke as well. It is weird to go into a company meeting room and have people smoking. Of course I am old enough remember when that happened here too.

Imo, we should simply exclude China from any attempt at stat analysis. There is simply no way to verify the numbers they publish and they haven't proven to be trustworthy.

The population is also majority located in really dense cities. That has to burden the hospitals much more. I think the fact that we are so spread out with so many large hospitals even in smaller cities should help the overwhelm the healthcare system factor. Think about all the hospitals in places like Augusta, Savannah, Athens, etc. And it is like that in every State. Italy has a few Atlanta’s and that is where everyone lives. My guess is there are not a lot of hospitals outside of the major Cities.

I have a friend in Italy whose mother has the virus. She is an old lady who has other underlying conditions. [hasn't been in good health for some time] Hoping that she is able to survive. Last report was promising, but still a ways to go.

Reactions: Dawg Wood
Italy has a longer average lifespan than the US and most of the world.

Most stats at this point are not complete nor thorough. And I would guess China’s are at least partially altered.

Reactions: Dirty Hairy Dawg
Lack of ventilators is massive reason. Officials are sounding the alarm here but seems no one is listening. The need for isolation is real and if people don't get their $%it together we'll be facing similar situation here. The older population is going to get hit extremely hard here.

Reactions: pauldawg
Their hospitals are overrun. They are under the nightmare scenario. People did not take it seriously and now they are having to decide who to save.

a lot of reasons....

1. Don’t believe a thing China says.
2. China didn’t let the rest of the world in early enough to better understand it.
3. Italy has a high population of old people who smoked a bunch.

This is my thoughts exactly. Can't be trusted period.
Agreed but I do take comfort that someone on this board who lives there has said life is returning to normal somewhat. Regardless of the figures I can’t imagine they would allow folks to return to normal life if the crisis weren’t almost over in their minds. They may be liars, but they are interested in their own preservation.

Agreed but I do take comfort that someone on this board who lives there has said life is returning to normal somewhat. Regardless of the figures I can’t imagine they would allow folks to return to normal life if the crisis weren’t almost over in their minds. They may be liars, but they are interested in their own preservation.

That's good. My other question is what is going to be done with these wild-life markets over there? Seems to be this is not the only virus that have started due to these markets. Time to shut it down IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT