ADVERTISEMENT

***WAR ROOM*** Hoops recruiting 8/14

Ben Bachmann

Choppy
Staff
Sep 19, 2018

The biggest target for Georgia in the 2024 class is five star power forward Asa Newell from Montverde Academy in Florida. After checking around with a couple of sources I still like my futurecast on Asa Newell landing in Athens. Newell is originally an Athens native and grew up a fan of Georgia. Newell’s brother Jaden being on the team has provided Georgia a boost in this recruitment. Erik Pastrana was the first to offer Newell in the 8th grade and is the lead recruiter here.

Indiana who already received an OV was thought to be the main competition for Georgia likes it’s chances for other prospects better at this stage. Alabama just received an official visit on August 1st, Texas will receive an official visit in September, and Auburn is expected to get an official visit in late September. Newell looks to have a decision announced before his HS season starts.

Another 5 star forward Georgia is in good shape with is small forward Derrion Reid. Reid until just a week ago was an in state prospect out of Grovetown but will play his senior season out in California now. Reid has taken official visits to Kansas State, Mississippi State, and Georgia. Reid took all those official visits before July 1st so he can take 2nd official visits to those schools. Alabama is a school Reid is considering for an official visit and has an official visit set for FSU in September. Georgia and Mississpi State are both expected to get 2nd official visits before a decision.

Georgia is still in a good spot with Reid with Alabama and Kansas State also squarely in the mix. One thing helping Georgia is he’s visited Georgia more than any other school including two visits in June. Reid is expected to have a decision made by November.

I posted a note a couple days ago on 4 star forward Khani Rooths. I am still hearing behind the scenes Georgia is the leader at this stage. Rooths has officially visited Georgia and Mississpi State. Georgia is the only school between the two getting a second official visit. Georgia, Michigan, and Virginia Tech will all get official visits. Florida State, Miami, and Maryland could receive official visits.

Virginia Tech is the school that’s the biggest competition for Georgia due to how long it’s recruited him. Maryland is the dark horse because even though there’s buzz Rooths wants to leave his hometown they can’t be discounted entirely. Rooths wants to decide before his high school seasons starts but won’t rush his decision if he’s not ready to commit.

Georgia’s top guard target in the 2024 class is 4 star shooting guard Austin Swartz. Swartz has set multiple official visits in August and September. Swartz will visit officially visit Georgia on September 1st, Virginia Tech on September 29th, Miami August 25th, Florida State September 8th, Indiana August 18th, Notre Dame October 13th, and Uconn September 18th. Two big factors helping Georgia is they’ve gotten Swartz on campus more than any other program. Georgia is also the first power 5 school to offer Swartz.

Swartz has already taken official visits to Clemson and Tennessee back in June. Swartz gained a flurry of offers in the spring from schools like Notre Dame, Florida State, Miami, Indiana, and others. Georgia and Virginia Tech are the only schools that will host Swartz on OVs in the fall that have already had Swartz on campus. Georgia is the only school in Swartz top 8 that hosted Swartz for a game day visit.

It’s Georgia’s continuity versus the new field featuring two blue blood programs in UConn and Indiana. I can see this recruitment going a number of ways but Georgia is the safe bet at this stage.

One recruitment I see trending in the opposite direction for Georgia is 4 star point guard Bishop Boswell. Boswell has been recruited by Georgia and Wake Forrest for some time and has great relationships with both schools. Wake Forrest will receive an official visit on August 31st, Tennessee on September 10th, and Georgia on September 15th to wrap up his official visits. Xavier and Missouri have already received official visits for Boswell.

I’m hearing Wake Forrest is out in front with Xavier in second. Georgia and Tennessee are behind those two schools at this time. Boswell will make a decision sometime after his official visits are all taken.

Two names Georgia is prioritizing early in the 2025 class is 5 star power forward Caleb Wilson and 4 star small forward Jacob Wilkins. Wilson is the next Jabari Smith, Anthony Edwards, and Jalen Brown type of can’t miss prospect in state prospect. Wilson was one of Mike White’s first offers when becoming new head coach at Georgia. Wilson grew up a big Georgia fan and has only visited in state Georgia and Georgia Tech to this point.

Wilson would like to play close to home in college and isn’t interested in the G league yet. Kentucky and other blue bloods have recently offered which definitely will have Wilson thinking. If I had to say there’s a pecking order early it’s Georgia, Georgia Tech, and Alabama in that order. One thing to note is Wilson is good friends with Georgia target Jacob Wilkins.

Wilkins is the son of Georgia legend Dominque Wilkins. Georgia was the first to offer Wilkens. Wilkins and Wilson both have only visited Georgia to this point even both visiting together back in September. Georgia is hitting the 2025 class very early in state. Wilson and Wilkins are the two biggest targets in the early stages.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News