ADVERTISEMENT

How much longer will Tiger continue to play competitive golf?

BlessedDawg

Diehard supporter
Jan 17, 2020
While I admire his past accomplishments and his desire and hard work to get back to form, it’s pretty obvious that he just cannot compete at a high level anymore. 14 over after the first 2 rounds at the Open.
Some people just can’t face reality and it’s sad to see him hang on.

While I admire his past accomplishments and his desire and hard work to get back to form, it’s pretty obvious that he just cannot compete at a high level anymore. 14 over after the first 2 rounds at the Open.
Some people just can’t face reality and it’s sad to see him hang on.
It is just tournament golf. Augusta he plays well because he knows the course. The other majors rotate. He just isn’t adapting. His iron play is bad. His speed on the greens is horrendous right now. He is three putting several times a round. He used to not three putt in an entire tournament. I think he is waiting for his body to continue to recover. It takes three years from crushed bones to feel remotely normal. Took me that long. I didn’t play for a year after my injury. Which wasn’t as bad as his.

He can’t manage his game because of the lack of practice and tournament sharpness. When he gets out of position he makes double too often. Rarely recovers for pars. These are things that should get better with him over time and healing. That is part of the reason Colin’s statement is ridiculous.

The bigger picture is the speed in his golf swing is still there. As long as it is, he will feel like he can compete. And he will make some cuts in the future and climb up some leaderboards. It is asking a lot of anyone to be sharp at the moment. I get frustrated watching him. Which others I am sure do too. He is only playing majors which only exaggerates his golfing issues because they don’t set up majors to be easy.

The only question is will he feel mentally beat down by the lack of success. His talent level is still there. Just can he work and play enough.

If he played in Arnold’s tournament or some regular tour events where he knows the course, I believe his success would be better. If he plays in his tournament this year I bet his result is better than people think. Jmo

I think his body just won't let him play enough tournament golf to be sharp.
You can hit all the balls you want on a driving range, but that is not the same as teeing it up in tournaments.
I also think he is pretty much a one trick pony with his ball flight. He has to IMO because of his body breakdowns, hit a cut.
He has always hit a fade, but it looks to me now he HAS to hit a fade.
I grew up when Jack was king and IMO, he is still the greatest champion of all time.
I was 100% sure in the early 2000's that Tiger would pass Jack.
It was not to be. With his body breakdown, along with sadly, a lot of poor life choices, that will not happen.
Tiger has done A LOT for golf.
Sadly, I think he is the only one that thinks he can still win....
.kinda like Biden.....😉....sorry, but couldn't help it.

I think his body just won't let him play enough tournament golf to be sharp.
You can hit all the balls you want on a driving range, but that is not the same as teeing it up in tournaments.
I also think he is pretty much a one trick pony with his ball flight. He has to IMO because of his body breakdowns, hit a cut.
He has always hit a fade, but it looks to me now he HAS to hit a fade.
I grew up when Jack was king and IMO, he is still the greatest champion of all time.
I was 100% sure in the early 2000's that Tiger would pass Jack.
It was not to be. With his body breakdown, along with sadly, a lot of poor life choices, that will not happen.
Tiger has done A LOT for golf.
Sadly, I think he is the only one that thinks he can still win....
.kinda like Biden.....😉....sorry, but couldn't help it.
I could see a scenario where he could compete again. If the swing speed wasn’t there, I would tell him to hang it up. He isn’t going to win multiple tournaments ever again or maybe even win again, but I could see him compete. He is doing it in practice and against others at home. There have been reports of him still kicking people’s asses in gambling rounds. It is a big step to take it from there to a major. This success is why he still believes.

I look at it like this with Jack and Tiger. Jack is the best golfer ever. Tiger played the best golf ever imo. In their primes Tiger was better, but careers mean something. Like you said, life choices have consequences

Not to take anything away from his majors and total wins but in Tigers prime years he didn’t have the young talented golfers on tour like today. That’s going to make it more difficult for him to win again.
But, most of these young guys started playing golf because of Tiger so in a way he’s a victim of his own success.
I’ve always been a Tiger fan so it pains me to see him struggle.

I could see a scenario where he could compete again. If the swing speed wasn’t there, I would tell him to hang it up. He isn’t going to win multiple tournaments ever again or maybe even win again, but I could see him compete. He is doing it in practice and against others at home. There have been reports of him still kicking people’s asses in gambling rounds. It is a big step to take it from there to a major. This success is why he still believes.

I look at it like this with Jack and Tiger. Jack is the best golfer ever. Tiger played the best golf ever imo. In their primes Tiger was better, but careers mean something. Like you said, life choices have consequences
Agree with the Jack/Tiger comparison.
Jack had the best career.
Tiger played the best golf, just for a much shorter period of time.

Reactions: zingerdawg
Agree with the Jack/Tiger comparison.
Jack had the best career.
Tiger played the best golf, just for a much shorter period of time.
I just saw tiger’s post round interview. He said kind of the same thing. Just wanted to physically get thru the majors. Then get sharper and heal more. He said he is going to lengthen his schedule. He only has maybe 4-5 years left to have the speed and distance to compete imo. He better do some work then.

Reactions: mitchelldawg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT