ADVERTISEMENT

I hope people realize and appreciate what we have with Kirby…

RingoTheBell

3-Peat for Big Dev
Gold Member
Jul 13, 2020
Every college football game I watch, I come away more thankful for Kirby Smart. I know it’s been talked about on here before, but all of these head coaches and coordinators live and breathe football. Most of us have a very elementary understanding of the game (with a few exceptions), and these guys would be speaking a foreign language to us if we gave them a whiteboard and a dry erase marker. I’m thankful for the Xs and Os because they matter, obviously. Having two guys with the same number on the field shows that.

The thing that I’m most thankful for, though, that I can actually relate to is Kirby’s honesty. I’m not going to say he doesn’t give coach speak because he’s a walking cliche at times. See: “day to day,” “got a lotta respect,” “attack the day,” “composure, physicality, toughness,” “keep chopping,” “eat off the floor,” and the list goes on and on. In most cases, those cliches ring hollow with most modern athletes. I think the reason Kirby is successful is that he has the willingness to say, “We’re not very good. I wasn’t very good. We’re weak at this spot.” I think this is what helps him in recruiting as well.

TLDR: Yes, Kirby is an elite recruiter. Yes, he’s an elite coach. Yes, he uses cliches. But he’s a straight shooter who doesn’t use platitudes all that often and takes accountability. I’m learning to enjoy that every time I watch another team or hear another SEC coach’s press conference.

We’re in the glory years, boys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News