ADVERTISEMENT

I shouldn't have to explain why the Monken leaving talk is stupid... but I will...

BaronVonHeinsteidel

Circle of Honor
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2007
A. He just got fired (twice). While he's a highly thought of coach, he isn't likely going to have offers for a more desirable job, if he doesn't prove he has "it" beyond next year.
B. Who is he leaving us for? There really aren't any more desirable assistant jobs than UGA (including in the NFL). Which leads me to...
C. While he's highly regarded, he's used goods. He'll be 55 by next year. He had an opportunity at a mid-tier school as a head man and failed. And he won't likely be attactive to bigger schools because while he's a great coach, he doesn't have a dynamic personality that's attractive in that CEO way, which is great for recruiting and working with boosters.

Monken is the perfect guy to hang around for a while. He's likely reached his peak on the coaching ladder. While Todd hasn't hung around long anywhere, if anyone is set to be a Mickey Andrews type, it's Monken. He's the closest thing to a long term guy you can get at a coordinator position, assuming the relationship doesn't spoil. OC is his niche. He's no longer an up and comer and large programs aren't putting their chips in on a guy like Todd. Maybe five years ago.

I'm happy about the prospect of Monken being here for a while, for the exact reason I was bummed we hired Chaney (I was scared he was gonna be here for too long given it's a nearly identical scenario). Thank God we let his above average ceiling with perfect parts, ass, walk for someone who was offering more.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News