ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg I think all major HOF's in my lifetime have become trash except for the one in Canton...

BaronVonHeinsteidel

Circle of Honor
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2007
That happens with mandatory voting every year. The backlog is less than what's on the docket. Look at baseball's first inductees compared today. Ty Cobb (my bad, I meant Cy Young) wasn't even in the inaugural class. Dimaggio wasn't even inducted until his third year on the ballot. Now we're seriously talking about CC Sabathia being a first ballot HOFer.

- The Naismith HOF is a bigger joke. Above average coaches and players like Sariunas Marcliulionis, Bill Bradley, Vlade Divac, Frank Ramsey, and Charlie Scott. I don't think I need to go any further.

- The Rock N Roll HOF recently inducted Missy Elliot. The Beatles and Beach Boys didn't get indicted until the third class.

- CFB coaches. Tuss McLaughry, Mike Bellotti.

I could go on and on. All Halls of Inclusive. I feel like these institutions should probably vote every five years to ensure standards and keep them exclusive.

Needless to say I'm a minimalist when it comes to Halls Of Fame, especially baseball. But then the universe has to throw Andruw Jones at me. What in the actual fucc? I think it's fair to say he played himself out of the HOF... but how? He made the toughest position to play in sports look so effortless, people dogged him for not trying. His exclusion would make sense if we hadn't actually had players inducted for defense alone. Bill Mazeroski and Ozzie Smith are the players we usually point to here, but that's a tired comparison and low hanging fruit.

Let's look at some all around players /players who were almost good enough at defense to get in, but their hitting pushed them over the edge into Cooperstown: Frankie Frisch, Brooks Robinson, Scott Rolen, Roberto Alomar, Alan Trammell, Pudge Rodriguez. Only two have more gold gloves than Andruw, but then again, only eleven humans have more GG's than Andruw... and none of the above have more homers than Andruw. Only two humans in the history of all people who have ever picked up a bat and glove... have more homers and gold gloves.

If Andruw walks away from baseball at 30 years old, he's a first ballot Hall Of Famer. He changes teams, gets fat 31 and everything he did before is somehow erased.

And I dare someone to talk to me about Sheffield's exclusion due to some murky PED controversy, when Bagwell is in, in spite of nearly identical situations... but I digress.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News