ADVERTISEMENT

I think I'm going to contradict myself....

A Tale of Two Dawgs

Importer/Exporter of Natties
Gold Member
Jan 17, 2002
The Kentucky game really bothered me. 13 points against that team, in great weather, is alarming, particularly when it wasn't the product of turnovers. The questions that raises are many about our ability to navigate the extraordinary schedule we have ahead.

My instinct after watching the game was that we need to let Carson throw it more on early downs, and use the pass to open up the run, which is my general philosophy as it's how you win in modern football more times than not. But I think this team is much more like Michigan 2023, in that we don't have a great passing offense, but we could have a great running game, coupled with an elite defense, if we protect that defense.

Where that leaves me, especially against elite teams, is that we need to run more, not less, and commit to it like our life depends on it. Carson is a great play action passer, and I prefer him throwing mostly play action passes at this point. I'd like to see a few on early downs, but not a lot. If we punt, so be it. But wear the other team out, and rely on the fact that our offensive line is a better run blocking group than a pass blocking group. I just don't think we have the tackles, or the elite outside WRs, to play more wide open. We also don't have the perimeter blocking to use the horizontal pass game as a run extension.

In years past, the style I'm advocating would've been an advantage to the other team, but I think it's an advantage to us if we can shorten the game against better teams. We will play closer games, and we will lose a couple, but if we can get through this season 10-2, that's all we need. If we beat our heads against the wall, trying to be what we're not, we could easily find ourselves at 9-3 or 8-4 with this schedule. Easily.

We need to be boring as hell. I don't mean 12 personnel all the time, because we don't have great 12 personnel; we can still run out of three or four wide receiver sets, but we need to run and run often. And then take play action shots when we're not running.

It's tempting with a QB like Carson to air it out, but you have to have protection, you have to have receivers, and it would be great if you had tight ends. We are not great in any of those departments right now.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.