ADVERTISEMENT

If You still have Your Mom and Dad ask them Questions, When

That is such wonderful advice. I missed the chance with my dad, but talk to Mom a lot about what it was like on a subsistance farm in rural Mississippi. Older folks can really put things in perspective for you. I haven't whined about my lot in life for several days.

Such a simply obvious question. Good as I've seen here...

..given the age group and expertise having the ability to answer it. Where else u gonna go to get U shat fixed?

Here..me? Chat pages will have scrolled off long before I could get any such 5 questions right. HELL, I just want to be with them again...saying goodbye once was more than I ever want to do again.

Looking forward to what good folks in here got to ask for some guidance....

This post was edited on 3/9 10:35 PM by JimBfishN

Reactions: wayxpython
That is such wonderful advice. I missed the chance with my dad, but talk to Mom a lot about what it was like on a subsistance farm in rural Mississippi. Older folks can really put things in perspective for you. I haven't whined about my lot in life for several days.

My Mom and Dad both grew up subsistence farming also (no, not brother & sister). Both are gone now, Dad... left us this past March.

Nonetheless, can remember him talking about a "rolling grocery store". Which was basically a purveyor on wheels. They got all of their spices from them. Everything else was grown and raised (pigs, cows, chickens & etc). Butter & cheese was made also.

I remember him talking about his Mom making all the clothes they wore (pants, shirts, coats & etc). Also used well water for drinking & bathing, no indoor plumbing. They took baths outside...in a big tin tub. They would let the water warm all day during the summer for comfortable bathing. In the winter....it sucked. "Colder than a well diggers azz", he would like to say.

They sold cotton for extra income. His least favorite thing to do was picking cotton. Said he couldn't wait to get off the farm.

My Mom grew up the same way as my Dad, but she had 13 brothers and sisters (imagine that). Her Dad preached in addition to farming (and cotton). I remember her telling me they never would throw any part of the pig away. Chittlins', tripe, pigs feet and pig ears...you name it. She would still eat that shat when I was a kid growing up...acted like it was prime rib or something, treasured it...grossed me out.

Both (Mom & Dad) grew up old school in South Georgia. Some just don't know how easy they have it. My Dad never made it past the 11th grade. He believed if you worked hard, you get ahead. It worked for him, he was successful in life....eventually making it to the VP of operations for a major 160 retail store chain. I learned a lot from him...from both.

I know what it means to miss your parents (above). Sorry for the long post...it just kinda hit home, Christmas time & all.

Last edited:
My Mom and Dad both grew up subsistence farming Aldo (no, not brother & sister). Both are gone now, Dad... left us this past March.

Nonetheless, can remember him talking about a "rolling grocery store". Which was basically a purveyor on wheels. They got all of their spices from them. Everything else was grown and raised (pigs, cows, chickens & etc). Butter & cheese was made also.

I remember him talking about his Mom making all the clothes they wore (pants, shirts, coats & etc).

They sold cotton for extra income. His least favorite thing to do was picking cotton. Said he couldn't wait to get off the farm.

My Mom grew up the same way as my Dad, but she had 13 brothers and sisters (imagine that). Her Dad preached in addition to farming (and cotton). I remember her telling me they never would throw any part of the pig away. Chittlins', tripe, pigs feet and pig ears...you name it. She would still eat that shat when I was a kid growing up...acted like it was prime rib or something, treasured it...grossed me out.

Both (Mom & Dad) grew up old school in South Georgia. Some just don't know how easy they have it. My Dad never made it past the 11th grade. He believed if you worked hard, you get ahead. It worked for him, he was successful in life....eventually making it to the VP of operations for a major 160 retail store chain. I learned a lot from him...from both.

I know what it means to miss your parents (above). Sorry for the long post...it just kinda hit home, Christmas time & all.

I get it my friend,
they raised a Damn good Child!

My Mom and Dad both grew up subsistence farming also (no, not brother & sister). Both are gone now, Dad... left us this past March.

I remember him talking about his Mom making all the clothes they wore (pants, shirts, coats & etc). Also used well water for drinking & bathing, no indoor plumbing. They took baths outside...in a big tin tub. They would let the water warm all day during the summer for comfortable bathing. In the winter....it sucked. "Colder than a well diggers azz", he would like to say.

This was exactly like my family's farm. The "rolling grocery store" would come up the dirt lane and the driver would roll up both sides. They would buy what they could. They also sold some cotton, things like watermelon, some fruit. They had a black sharecropper family on the land. His name was Curlee and his wife left him when he shot a rat on the kitchen table.

The farm is 110 acres outside Meridian, Mississippi. We still own it, but it's not worth anything much. A big creek divides it with no road access to half of it. Every time they cut the timber around it, it gets covered up with rattlesnakes. Creek is full of moccasins. I thought it was a good place when I was a kid.

Reactions: Eastmandawg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT