ADVERTISEMENT

I'm as pro-Kirby as anyone but he needs to read the room a little better... (long but DGAF)

fprex

Pocket Dogs - I always got a hot dog in my pocket
Gold Member
Aug 31, 2006
I get Kirby didn't like the home atmosphere yesterday and it's totally understandable from his standpoint. The problem is that he's only thinking about one perspective.

Coaches talk about letdowns all the time. Yesterday was an example of our home fanbase having a letdown the week after another devastating loss to the same evil empire with the GOAT gone. We talk about letdowns being a human response and that they are inevitable. That's what you saw from the home crowd. The fans were still sullen over that Tuscaloosa game with the lingering memory of the Kentucky Escape also at the forefront.

How do you avoid a letdown? Get off to a great start. Kirby even said we needed to do that in his on-field interview before kickoff. Sometimes you need to create the great start in the week of practice leading up to the game. That comes offensively. That's in the gameplan, the first 15 (or whatever) play script. Studio hosts all over the landscape yesterday were talking about how they expected Georgia to come out firing at all levels in response to their narrow loss but great comeback at Alabama last week. It didn't happen. (and it was talked about during halftime)

I wasn't there at the game but it's obvious that it was baking in there. Another reason to not be at your loudest for the game. And Kirby doesn't need to say, "Hey, it's hot for us as well and our guys have helmets on." Bruh...you're getting paid $13 mil/year and your players (many) are getting paid as well. (cost of living stipends, scholarships, NIL) Middle school kids play on Thursday afternoons in the hot sun so we get it.

Are Georgia fans spoiled? Absolutely. Is Kirby Smart spoiled? Absolutely. UGA has given him everything he's demanded (highest paid coach in the land) and he's capitalized on that by providing us unprecedented success. But when you've provided a new standard and had several teams meet that standard over the past several years, it becomes somewhat appalling when that standard is now not being met and fans are paying more than ever. This is the worst tackling team in the Kirby Era and the least imaginative offense in several years.

Kirby said our home crowd isn't like it used to be. Neither is our on-field product. This offense has eerily strong vibes to the 2019 offense that was offensive. That offense couldn't scheme things open or succeed with efficiency. This one at least can be efficient at times. But damn, it shouldn't be this consistently difficult on the offensive side of the ball with the talent that is there.

People on this board keep talking about our WR talent or lack thereof. Look around the country and you'll see offensive schemes flourishing and 2 & 3 star WRs putting stats on the board. You can't tell me our WRs aren't more talented than the majority of NCAA football. We have a chance to bring in better WR talent every year through the portal. We brought in Jackson (1 catch), Humphreys (4 receptions??? WTH), and Colbie Young. Young has been productive but is a possession receiver. If we still lack the playmakers necessary for this offense to function, we're striking out miserably.

I was a mirror image of our crowd at home watching it. It was tough to get excited. Someone on here said our offense is, "Run up the middle, throw something horizontally, throw short behind the sticks." I can't think of a better summation of our offense right now.

Georgia is ranked 115th (out of 133) in the country in first half scoring this year. (7.5 ppg) Coach needs to talk about how the offense needs serious work before calling out the fans right now. Kirby got the same performance from the crowd yesterday that his offense has given all year, especially in the first half.

"Attitude reflect leadership, Captain."

And yes, I LOVE our coach but he's a bit tone-deaf right now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.