ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Convo with an AU Alum

16Dawg

National Champion
Gold Member
Jan 31, 2006
I hate AU as much as anyone, but living in Columbus, I do come in contact with a lot of AU grads/fans and they aren't all bad. That said, was talking with an exec in my company who is an AU grad. I asked him his opinion of Hugh Freeze. He said he didn't like his character and would have preferred someone who was high in character. However, he said the role of a football coach was to win games. So if he wins games, then he could overlook his character. However, if he doesn't win games, then there's no reason for him to be there.

I thought that was an interesting rationalization for having a sleezebag be the face of your team. But the main thing that I took away from that is how lucky we are. We have both. We have a high character man who also wins. In spite of the issues caused by some of our players, there's no way Kirby is condoning or excusing that behavior. I'm sure he's doing everything he can think of to remedy those issues. And, he's still putting a team on the field that will compete for a national championship.

We are lucky. As a program, we aren't perfect, but what program is? But we are lucky and need to appreciate what we have. It won't be here forever.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.