ADVERTISEMENT

Is Ronald Reagan the most overrated president ever?

OriginalGatorHator

Them Dawgs Is Hell
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2015
Note I’m not considering any democrat president since Korean War as the majority of them are overrated.

His amnesty deal alone gave California to the left forever. He was awful at picking Supreme Court justices, awful on guns, and his trickle down economics moved wealth out of the American heartland to coastal elites and manufacturing overseas.

He was the meme of “I didn’t leave the left the left left me”.

I get why old people love him he was incredibly charismatic and fantastic on tv but policy wise his rule led to some pretty disastrous consequences.

TLDR: conservatives need to quit trying to be Reagan because Reagan was a uniquely charismatic liberal running for office in a country that no longer exists.

Note I’m not considering any democrat president since Korean War as the majority of them are overrated.

His amnesty deal alone gave California to the left forever. He was awful at picking Supreme Court justices, awful on guns, and his trickle down economics moved wealth out of the American heartland to coastal elites and manufacturing overseas.

I get why old people love him he was incredibly charismatic and fantastic on tv but policy wise his rule led to some pretty disastrous consequences.

TLDR: conservatives need to quit trying to be Reagan because Reagan was a uniquely charismatic liberal running for office in a country that no longer exists.

Jimmy Carter inflation - 18.1 (high), Ronald Reagan - 4.1….not sure, but he looked pretty good to these eyes.

No

He basically won the Cold War without firing a shot. His fearless posture, aggressive defense spending, and international collaboration forced Russia to keep up. They couldn’t.

He played a high stakes game and kept upping the ante. He broke them for decades and basically averted a potentially explosive world crisis.

That reason alone makes him a great president.

He basically won the Cold War without firing a shot. His fearless posture, aggressive defense spending, and international collaboration forced Russia to keep up. They couldn’t.

He played a high stakes game and kept upping the ante. He broke them for decades and basically averted a potentially explosive world crisis.

That reason alone makes him a great president.
True, Reagan faced an actual existential threat and was a Cold War warrior and every foreign policy decision he made needed to be made through that lens.

But his domestic polices have led to left wing outcomes.

Reactions: Athens is Heaven
I remember when during the campaign the libs talking point was that he would get us into a nuclear war. Sort of like a threat to our democracy.
Yea, but instead, he ended the Cold War, and greatly reduced that threat.

That's was when our Republican president still understood Russia was the enemy. Unlike now.
yes sir.

Best Chat post in a long time.

Reagan hated those Commie bastards.

Trump and his buddies are trying to give them Ukraine, and then, who knows what's next.

yes sir.

Best Chat post in a long time.

Reagan hated those Commie bastards.

Trump and his buddies are trying to give them Ukraine, and then, who knows what's next.
Well in fairness, Ukraine was part of the USSR at the time so he didn't have to worry about it. But I'm betting had Trump been president the Ukraine invasion looks a lot different.
JC

Reactions: deadduckdawg

He saved us from Carter. I worked for an architectural/engineering firm then. Inflation and unemployment were terrible. I got a 10% raise, then a 7% raise, then another 10% raise,then another 7% raise, etc, just to keep up. about 18% a year. Thank god, my company did that, I would have been screwed otherwise. So, a $40k house was pretty nice back then. Well, after carter got through in just FOUR YEARS, they were $80k

So every time someone says”oh that Jimmy, he’s done so much good”, I say FTMF, I had to wait an additional six years to buy a house. Things that you remember, silver prices going up so high that car dealers would advertise ON TV, that they would sell you a car for just 20 or 30 silver dollars. I can’t remember the exact price, but you can thank the Hunt brothers for that fiasco.

But looking back, I had a good job, I rented a house way out in Sandy springs for $170 a month, I was young and happy, I had a VW Scirocco and a Yamaha RD400D, I could go to the Bistro, 688 Club, Metroplex or Agora for music, I played bball at Powers Ferry and a park in SS that I can’t think of the name.over all good times, and they became even better with the Reagan years.

Last edited:
True, Reagan faced an actual existential threat and was a Cold War warrior and every foreign policy decision he made needed to be made through that lens.

But his domestic polices have led to left wing outcomes.
Reagan had to make deals with mostly Democratic House and Senate to get what he wanted to break the Soviets. Eisenhower, Nixon and Reagan were mostly betrayed by their Supreme appointments - the absolute worst was Earl Warren by Eisenhower the next worst was Harry Blackmun by Nixon and then bringing up the worst rear O’Conner/Kennedy by Reagan.
You do you but your argument seems like an 8th graders’ view from some high school in Chevy Chase, MD.

Reagan had to make deals with mostly Democratic House and Senate to get what he wanted to break the Soviets. Eisenhower, Nixon and Reagan were mostly betrayed by their Supreme appointments - the absolute worst was Earl Warren by Eisenhower the next worst was Harry Blackmun by Nixon and then bringing up the worst rear O’Conner/Kennedy by Reagan.
You do you but your argument seems like an 8th graders’ view from some high school in Chevy Chase, MD.
Explain to me like I’m in 8th grade why Reagan had to work with the dems on amnesty to break the soviets?

Explain to me like I’m in 8th grade why Reagan had to work with the dems on amnesty to break the soviets?
He had to throw bones to the open borders Dems - he did the “one-time” amnesty deal for 3 million illegals in ‘86. By then he had lost his excellent Chief of Staff Michael Deaver that was with him in his CA governor days and likely would have stiffened his spine and the House and Senate were Democrat controlled. He trusted the Dems that it would be “just this once” and made a bad decision but he needed the Democrats to ensure/continue his military buildup to bankrupt the Soviets. Why is this so difficult for you to understand?

Oh they did, did they? Maybe you don’t remember the Cuban Missile crisis.
So, were those missiles in Cuba when Kennedy was sworn in or was the entire event a provocation due to perceived weakness? Did the Russians remove the missiles out of respect or fear of Kennedy or because they feared they had backed him into a corner?

I also remember the Bay of Pigs, his controversial conduct in office and special advisors to Vietnam. JFK screwed up a lot of things in 2 1/2 years.

Last edited:
He had to throw bones to the open borders Dems - he did the “one-time” amnesty deal for 3 million illegals in ‘86. By then he had lost his excellent Chief of Staff Michael Deaver that was with him in his CA governor days and likely would have stiffened his spine and the House and Senate were Democrat controlled. He trusted the Dems that it would be “just this once” and made a bad decision but he needed the Democrats to ensure/continue his military buildup to bankrupt the Soviets. Why is this so difficult for you to understand?
Because this decision did more harm to our country than the soviets ever could. It has been nothing short of disastrous and showed a lack of judgment and foresight on Reagan’s part.

I have to separate FDR from a wartime president to a domestic president. The New Deal has been vastly overrated by historians, it did almost nothing to get us out of the Depression until Mr. Hitler and Mr. Tojo forced us to militarize.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT