ADVERTISEMENT

It’s happening at the University of Alabama

yep...happening in Lubbock....my son has two former HS classmates there that tested positive and got it from one of their roommates...all asymptomatic...my 25 yr old nephew who graduated from UGA 3 yrs ago got it two weeks ago at one of his frat brothers’ bachelor party...he hunkered down with Tylenol and Gatorade per his employer’s instruction for 2 weeks and worked remotely...his fever got to 102 and the Tylenol broke it overnight...he also experienced general lethargy and some pain in his chest but minimal cough. After a couple of days, he felt normal again with no symptoms.
Sounds similar to The Traitor ... feeling blah, headache, some chest pain. Sounds like it kind of broke last night, feeling better today. Problem is he tested negative. Going to have to re-rest just to be sure, but can't imagine what else it could be.

Reactions: Diverdowndawg
My daughter came home yesterday From Creswell . Started feeling sick Friday night. Ran a low grade fever yesterday feels fine today. The biggest issue is getting a fast test. No idea what she had but couldn’t get a test until tomorrow then results a few days later. At this point is it worth doing a test? No way uga is catching 1/10 of the cases if this is how it goes for most kids. They feel fine for a week before they have a clue what they had.

Last edited:
Covid outbreak growing in the land of the gumps.
https://nypost.com/2020/08/30/1200-students-now-infected-with-coronavirus-at-university-of-alabama/

And it’s likely worse than is being reported also, faculty & staff being muzzled...
https://www.ajc.com/news/university...eak/7ZAHSQPNDRBINBEF3A6YAVMPRE/?ref=hvper.com

I hope UGA is not to follow. I am concerned based on all the reports of students running wild in packed bars downtown without masks, etc. Hardly surprising behavior from college kids, but it doesn’t bode well.
But why wouldn't it spread on every college campus with students back?

Reactions: paintdawg1
https://nypost.com/2020/08/30/1200-students-now-infected-with-coronavirus-at-university-of-alabama/

And it’s likely worse than is being reported also, faculty & staff being muzzled...
https://www.ajc.com/news/university...eak/7ZAHSQPNDRBINBEF3A6YAVMPRE/?ref=hvper.com

I hope UGA is not to follow. I am concerned based on all the reports of students running wild in packed bars downtown without masks, etc. Hardly surprising behavior from college kids, but it doesn’t bode well.[/QUO
Except for the ones that aren't... o_O
Please name the current D-1 football players that have died from Covid-19.

I hope UGA is not to follow. I am concerned based on all the reports of students running wild in packed bars downtown without masks, etc. Hardly surprising behavior from college kids, but it doesn’t bode well.
Who gives a rats are? How many are bed ridden ? In ICU? On their deathbed? They have a virus that produces little, to zero symptoms......give it a rest.

My daughter came home yesterday From Creswell . Started feeling sick Friday night. Ran a low grade fever yesterday feels fine today. The biggest issue is getting a fast test. No idea what she had but couldn’t get a test until tomorrow then results a few days later. At this point is it worth doing a test? No way uga is catching 1/10 of the cases if this is how it goes for most kids. They feel fine for a week before they have a clue what they had.

That's story over and over for the ones that feel much at all. They start to feel bad for a couple of days, maybe lose sense of taste, run some fever, general malaise. Parents say go get a test. They go maybe day 2 or 3 and by the time they get a result they're on the back end of it. If they're positive, they tell their parents/roommates/friends who might or might not have any symptoms. If those folks are feeling symptoms they may get tested but lather, rinse, repeat on the same story. If no symptoms, they don't test but there's a really good shot they would show a positive asymptomatic result, the younger and lower risk they are.

There's no telling how many folks that are out there in this scenario and not counted. Before testing ramped, they were telling people just to bunker in and not see a Dr unless they were really ill.

I haven't seen it talked about very much, but the CDC just released data on Covid-19 deaths. If I am reading this correctly, only 6 % of reported deaths were from Covid only. 94% of deaths had an average of 2.6 other underlying issues, and were elderly. If this is true. That means only 10,000 people have actually died from covid alone. If this is true, then all this hand wringing over cases is total BS. Especially for college kids. We know who is at risk. Make protocols to protect those we know to be at risk. And let the rest of us go back to living our lives as normal.

Be interesting to see what sort on long-term heart and/or lung damage we may see from COVID, especially the mild cases in young people.

Like Chernobyl - you may not have died...but what sort of delayed, lingering effects might you see?

Too early to tell.

Reactions: celticdawg

I hope UGA is not to follow. I am concerned based on all the reports of students running wild in packed bars downtown without masks, etc. Hardly surprising behavior from college kids, but it doesn’t bode well.[/QUOTE]

This is kind of a BS political article meant to cause frantic fear and panic. DO not tell anyone... Seems that this needs to be addressed and is being addressed.. More mask and close the damn bars.

At this point is it worth doing a test?

I know my son and many of his friends won’t get tested. It’s not that they think it’s a fraud. If they run a fever, lose their sense of taste, etc. they’re going to assume they have it and act accordingly. If they don’t feel sick, they’re living their lives.

Reactions: Diverdowndawg
This is why I said earlier it will burn right through these large college towns.

As someone who lives in Athens and takes care of an 86-year old, forgive me if I am not quite so blasé.

As others have noted, the bait and switch has worked, the full-freight tuition checks have cleared. Mine sure did. Close the campus, put the players in a bubble and play football. That you can do safely.

I feel really bad that Mark Emmert's next deposition in a player compensation lawsuit is going to be even more awkward if you do that, but he is being well compensated for his trouble.

I was out last night and it’s the bars, and the lines to bars, that are the issue. Restaurants in Athens are doing a very defensible job. Sororities are surreptitiously booking places off campus to get together post rush.
If freshmen in the dorms get it they have to stay at the GA Center.

same has dinner at iron factory (outside) and the coffee and cheesecake at last resort (also outside) some bars were pretty packed. It’s gonna burn through athens pretty fast.

What are you concerned about? The teachers/staff? Honestly curious.

If our team all got it right now vs. intermittently losing starters throughout the season would you not pick now (since you can’t pick 8 weeks ago)?

Im concerned about bigger picture of this related to colleges. This is going to be impossible to control as long as students are all on campus. At a certain point it could result in game cancellations/postponements. If that goes far enough it could have very bad implications for the season. Early signs don’t seem good for controlling this on a college campus unless they go all online soon, which I suspect will happen

Cases don't equal sick people. Hell, they don't even equal people. The CDC has already dropped the recommendation for testing unless you have symptoms-even after being in contact with an active case.

And then the CDC completely reversed course on that the very next day

Please name the current D-1 football players that have died from Covid-19.

tenor.gif

Reactions: celticdawg
My step sister is at UGA and has it. Around 7 of her sorority sisters exposed and a couple have it.

She had strep a couple of weeks ago and said it was worse than covid.

This is kind of a BS political article meant to cause frantic fear and panic. DO not tell anyone... Seems that this needs to be addressed and is being addressed.. More mask and close the damn bars.

To tell the truth muzzling some of those faculty magpies is a good start. If they start furloughing, I’ve got list of useless PhDs that won’t be missed. The AJC is butthurt because Kemp spanked them publicly. Kids are fine. You close the bars they’ll do house parties. My son has been working at one of the bars all summer. He’s had no issues. He sees a lot of the football players and they are tested regularly. Most of the kids that got It in Athens over the summer were picking it up from their roommates who had been to the beach or somewhere else. You get 4 guys sharing an apartment, one gets it they pretty much all do but it doesn’t last long if they feel it at all.

Last edited:
It is happening in Athens I assure you. My daughter’s roommate has it and the four of them in the house are all quarantining. Lots of similar stories going around.
And it happened all summer. Need to get it done and move in. Just need to keep the team being smart.

As someone who lives in Athens and takes care of an 86-year old, forgive me if I am not quite so blasé.

As others have noted, the bait and switch has worked, the full-freight tuition checks have cleared. Mine sure did. Close the campus, put the players in a bubble and play football. That you can do safely.

I feel really bad that Mark Emmert's next deposition in a player compensation lawsuit is going to be even more awkward if you do that, but he is being well compensated for his trouble.
First, I am not blase, I am a realist. You can't put 40,000 18-22 year olds together in a town, and not expect a virus to do virus things. And you can't expect 18-22 year olds to not do 18-22 year old things. Anyone who expected any other outcome had their head in the sand.

From your reply, it sounds as if you have an 86-year old and a college aged son or daughter. I assume that you are keeping the two apart, protecting your at-risk 86-year old, while letting your college aged child live their life. That's what I am doing. 2 kids in college, 92 and 90 year old mom and FIL. FIL came to visit, we sent the at-home son away for 2 weeks. FIL is gone as of this morning, son returning tonight, remote classes start tomorrow. FIL never left the house, said it was like a "resort" as my wife and I dotted on him, as we should.

I drove through DT Athens Friday night around 7 or so. Was pretty packed, no real drop off from what it usually looks like when students are in town. Mask usage was around 50%. Didn’t see many outside of college aged people.

If this was 15 or so years ago I would probably have been doing the exact same thing. Hard to make them change their behavior. Rest of us just have to kind of hope for the best with the whole situation.
More concerned about professors and other UGA employees and the full time residents of Athens contracting it because college students are spreading it everywhere. They are in grocery stores etc with the full time residents. When it gets into the vulnerable community that’s when it becomes a bigger issue

Be interesting to see what sort on long-term heart and/or lung damage we may see from COVID, especially the mild cases in young people.

Like Chernobyl - you may not have died...but what sort of delayed, lingering effects might you see?

Too early to tell.
Yep. And in a few years, we may just spontaneously explode and leave only our shoes and belts to let everyone know we existed at all.

Too early to tell.

Great point! I am interested in the long term effects of the plastic in our lives in pretty much everything we use.

I am also interested in the long terms effects of consuming farm raised animals with the use of steroids and antibiotics.

I am also interested in the use of cell phones and other technology and if that has some health issues for our population.

Too early to tell.

Some schools being more aggressive about testing. Son in grad program at GT and Emory. Emory required anyone who would be in the campus to get tested for covid. They set up drive facilities and told you the result within 20 mins. GT is aggressively screening asymptomatic students. When some in a frat got covid, they sent a mobile unit and tested everyone living in Greek housing on a Saturday. They are using a saliva based test and are encouraging everyone to get tested weekly or more often if they want. Only for asymptomatic people. Then they isolate and contact trace. They are encouraging use of a mobile app that will notify you if you have been in contact with someone recently who ends up testing positive. If you are sick they send you to student health for the test. Not sure why there is such variability within state schools. Testing isolating and contact tracing is the only way to keep covid from rapid increases in numbers within a college community.

More concerned about professors and other UGA employees and the full time residents of Athens contracting it because college students are spreading it everywhere. They are in grocery stores etc with the full time residents. When it gets into the vulnerable community that’s when it becomes a bigger issue
Those that are vulnerable should protect themselves. Students should be students, but be respectful. I'd be pissed if my kids went to local stores, etc., and didn't have a mask on. But, I am assuming that the stores require that these days.

Those that are vulnerable should protect themselves. Students should be students, but be respectful. I'd be pissed if my kids went to local stores, etc., and didn't have a mask on. But, I am assuming that the stores require that these days.
I hope they do in Athens. Although many people don’t wear masks correctly. They cover mouth not nose or they pull it down around their neck.

Reactions: Jacket Squasher
First, I am not blase, I am a realist. You can't put 40,000 18-22 year olds together in a town, and not expect a virus to do virus things. And you can't expect 18-22 year olds to not do 18-22 year old things. Anyone who expected any other outcome had their head in the sand.

From your reply, it sounds as if you have an 86-year old and a college aged son or daughter. I assume that you are keeping the two apart, protecting your at-risk 86-year old, while letting your college aged child live their life. That's what I am doing. 2 kids in college, 92 and 90 year old mom and FIL. FIL came to visit, we sent the at-home son away for 2 weeks. FIL is gone as of this morning, son returning tonight, remote classes start tomorrow. FIL never left the house, said it was like a "resort" as my wife and I dotted on him, as we should.

yeah thanks dude really appreciate the life advice. Means a lot coming from you. We had all been in one giant germ fest but thanks to your wisdom we are now contemplating certain procedures that might mitigate cross exposures.

And I didn’t conflate the two, you a wise message board man, did. Of course we are running two totally separate and elaborately air gapped systems. But thanks really, again, means so much.

There’s nothing “realistic” about stupid public policy. But all the Chads and Dakotas turning Athens into a hotspot increase our degree of difficulty greatly. Did the nurse in the doctors office get breathed on by Chad in the Alps Kroger last night? Maybe! It’s really fun.

Reactions: Jlh777

giphy.gif

Reactions: Jacket Squasher
I hope they do in Athens. Although many people don’t wear masks correctly. They cover mouth not nose or they pull it down around their neck.

As a doctor said to me: pulling the mask below your nose is like cutting off the tip of the condom.

Serious question. And I’m not looking to have a full blown mask debate. Also, before I ask this, I see merit in the point both of you have made.

So here goes...clearly not all masks are made the same and there are tons of companies that have capitalized on the mask business. But are they making these masks to any kind of established standard? We heard so much about N95 and all these other types of masks and now I see tons of people wearing the neck gaiters. So are these proven to be effective? In fact, my wife has bought several for our family and children included and many have the “made in China” tag. Should we really trust that? To be clear, I am not saying masks are stupid or anything like that. What I do wonder about is their effectiveness given there seems to be no standard in their production/manufacture.

You two have clearly had conversations with doctors so I’m wondering if this ever came up. If so, I would genuinely like to hear what was said.

yeah thanks dude really appreciate the life advice. Means a lot coming from you. We had all been in one giant germ fest but thanks to your wisdom we are now contemplating certain procedures that might mitigate cross exposures.

And I didn’t conflate the two, you a wise message board man, did. Of course we are running two totally separate and elaborately air gapped systems. But thanks really, again, means so much.

There’s nothing “realistic” about stupid public policy. But all the Chads and Dakotas turning Athens into a hotspot increase our degree of difficulty greatly. Did the nurse in the doctors office get breathed on by Chad in the Alps Kroger last night? Maybe! It’s really fun.
I need pics of the Dakotas as they would greatly help me follow the discussion.

Thank you in advance!

Reactions: LawDawg86
The absolute best thing is for this virus to spread through the young healthy population while they are all "quarantined" on campuses, away from their families. A vast majority (> 99%) are going to be asymptomatic or have mild symptoms. It's the only way to reach herd immunity. Locking down and destroying young lives while waiting for a vaccine is complete overkill for such a low risk virus. The hysteria needs to end now.

The absolute best thing is for this virus to spread through the young healthy population while they are all "quarantined" on campuses, away from their families. A vast majority (> 99%) are going to be asymptomatic or have mild symptoms. It's the only way to reach herd immunity. Locking down and destroying young lives while waiting for a vaccine is complete overkill for such a low risk virus. The hysteria needs to end now.

“Destroying young lives” ... what a drama queen.

Not having wanton Greek goat focks is not the same thing as a “lockdown.” In Europe they had lockdowns, you couldn’t leave your house.

No bars and no frat parties is not a lockdown.

All this stuff is insane to begin with. I looked this morning

looked on the cdc website the numbers updated around 160K people have passed due to Covid of those only 1500 are between the age of 0 and 34. This is bullish!+. Play football.

Let's talk hospitalizations in the college age group. In Georgia, there have been 64,671 confirmed cases in the 18-29 cohort. At most, 1619 have been hospitalized. 2.5% at most. 1619/64,671.

But it's really not even that high.

First, lets look at the numerator of the fraction: "Hospitalized" does not necessarily mean what you may think. To the Georgia DPH that means that a person is A) in a hospital, and B) has tested positive for COVID. It does NOT mean that the person went to the hospital because he or she was suffering from COVID symptoms. Nor does it mean that the patient is primarily being treated for the virus. So, it is safe to say that FEWER than 1619 have been hospitalized FOR COVID.

And the denominator: Up until now, for the most part, there hasn't been widespread testing of asymptomatic people in the college-age cohort. But now that is the case (as in the OP pointing out that EVERYBODY is getting tested at Emory and gtu) with students returning to campuses. Thus the denominator (new cases) will rise faster in proportion to the numerator (hospitalizations).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT