ADVERTISEMENT

I've been asked several times privately about my cancer. I don't really have much to hide...

BaronVonHeinsteidel

Circle of Honor
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2007
As to what stage it is/was, that's a complicated answer because head/neck cancers are graded differenty. This is my current understanding of it. I was lit up like a Christmas tree going in. It metastasized, grew to a certain size on both sides... so technically it's stage 4... but since it was all within my neck/head (that they knew of by the time of my pet scan) it could be treated like stage 2.

So it was in my esophagus, tongue, a little in my jaw, tonsils and a couple clusters of lymphnodes on each side of my neck. Finished with treatment. The chemo and radiation got all of it except for the lypmhnodes... the largest of which is about the size of a plumb. The chemo and radiation will still be working for a couple weeks. If the cancer doesn't exit my body, I can hopefully get it knocked out with a neck dissection.

BTW, I'd like to publicly apologize to @LawDawg86 . I gave him a good cussin'. He and I were arguing about tackle-foosball while I was in a text argument with a hack oncologist whose opinion I trashed before getting on with an actual healer.

I opted to go at this differently than most. I accepted that I needed the radiation. It was inoperable (I forgot to mention that in the outset, due to where it was in relation to major arteries and veins). If I had my druthers, I'd refuse the chemo. This chemo works in concert well with radiation but still only adds 5% to the survival rate, if what I've been told is correct. It's a gnarly chemo and the side effects suck. The tinnitus, hearing loss, neuropathy, wear on your kidneys and fatigue (which is the worst part) isn't worth the 5% to me. The side effects of radiation burns are no picnic either. It's not a stretch to say that between the chemo and radiation, it's not unlike an evil combo of a concentration camp/nuclear fallout.

What I had more direct control over was the drugs I took... which were none. I took nothing for the pain. I definitely wasn't going to take opiods... and I even opted out of taking cannabinoids. I was less against those than the other nausea drugs I was prescribed, which were poison and full of side effects. So I actually took nothing for pain and nausea. Still feel like I'm swallowing glass (don't THINK there is any way around that)... but there is no cancer in that part of my throat anyway. Enough of that.

For any of you who ever get head/neck cancer and take this journey, I will make you a solemn promise. I will shepherd you during every step and tell you what to expect along the way. All you have to do is ask.

One more thing. I need to say this but be respectful to those who actually felt the toll of cancer or started to succumb to it before treatment... for me (and I beleive this is common), the treatment is worse than the cancer and I suspect the recovery will be worse than the treatment. I think this is common but I definitely consider myself lucky. My hair is still thick. My throat was never sore (except for swallowing, feels fine). Voice never changed. Neck has aged and visibly burned but feeling no pain there.

Oh... I gave into one more thing. I actually recommend it. My main oncologist said I was going to get a feeding tube because of my jaw. I didn't know I could say no, otherwise I would have. Mine was kinda crude. They stabbed me in the stomach and put a gasket in there... so if needed I could pump nutrients in with a syringe. I wanted to keep my jaw and throat active so I opted not to use it. But I actually do recommend it.
Odds are you'll need it with a head/neck cancer... because it's worse during treatment and recovery... with the throat closing. LOL... I promise it's a blessing.

Alright, y'all have a sunny day. 😉

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.