ADVERTISEMENT

Last night’s game -the good and bad

donalsonville_dawg

Bird Law Expert
Gold Member
Aug 25, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I’m a little flummoxed about last night’s game still. I kept thinking at some point in the second quarter or after halftime we’d come out and overwhelm Mizzou. It didn’t happen. We got the win, which is way better than not, but I’ve got some thoughts.

1. Frankly, who we were last night is closer to who I thought we’d be this year than who we were weeks 1-3. I thought our defense would have growing pains, and I thought our offense would have to bail us out. Last night was an extreme example of that, though, against a bad Mizzou team.

2. At the same time, Mizzou gained less than 300 yards. Mizzou started its first drives of the game at the -45, the +46 and the -46. They got 3 points off those drives, but maybe that took a toll on our defense early.

3. Some good: we got 2 TDs and 2 stops late when we HAD to have them. We ran the last 3:39 off the clock, and that answered my concern about whether we could run the ball when we absolutely had to.

So who is this team? Are we the team that drilled everyone the first 3 weeks? Or are we who we looked like the last 2 games? If it’s the former, we can repeat. If it’s the latter, we’ve got a loss and maybe two coming up in November. There’s no shame in losing all the talent we did and going 11-1 or 10-2. Maybe that will sting less coming off a Natty.

Did we all - players, fans, and coaches alike - get sick on September’s rat poison?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News