ADVERTISEMENT

Opinion Late night thoughts

Radi Nabulsi

Publisher
Staff
Nov 17, 2003
I'll leave the predictions up to the professional recruiting reporters here on this site. They know more than me by far. But I too have been on the phone and in contact with some sources.

In my opinion, 5-star linebacker and former Florida commit Shemar James is a toss-up between UGA and Florida. Georgia has led here but the Gators have come on strong and are pushing for his commitment or at least for him to postpone signing.

Speaking of postponing, it wouldn’t surprise me if safety Kamari Wilson held off as well. Florida has made a strong run here and he may want more time to decide. If I were the Gators, I’d tell him to hold off. Georgia has been the leader for months but at this point, there is a real chance he goes to UF. We will see. Georgia has swiped three Gator commits so you know they want to at least try to get a Georgia lean to go their way.

Georgia defensive back Marquis Groves-Killebrew appears headed for Texas A&M. UGA has commitments from Malaki Starks, Jaheim Singletary, Daylen Everette, Ja’Corey Thomas and Julian Humphrey. That’s a loaded secondary class. For a guy with a torn ACL, that is a lot of competition, many of whom may enroll early and have quite the jump on you.

Georgia has done a wonderful job recruiting Marvin Jones Jr. The 5-star defensive end would be quite the compliment to Mykel Williams, the latter of whom made a strong pitch to play together this past weekend. Jones Jr.’s mother loves the Dawgs and he left Athens impressed. But the one thing that Georgia has had to overcome is the loss of Dan Lanning. Lanning, who was the lead recruiter here, went to see Jones Jr. last Thursday night. Yet by Friday he was linked to the Oregon job. So basically you have other schools asking Jones Jr., “Well, who’s your coach at Georgia?” There’s not an answer yet. Of course, Alabama does have a position coach there. Still, UGA has a good shot to land Jones Jr., but they will have had to overcome the missing coach aspect.

I don’t feel UGA is in it for Keon Sabb. They looked at him but it seems he is Michigan bound.

As for Travis Hunter, this one has gone back and forth. As Jed stated earlier in his Georgia 3-2-1 Report, my sources still felt good about him earlier in the week. But missing that official visit was unlucky. And it’s tough to go against your mom. As of today, it is still going back and forth. FSU bought in the big guns and UGA is fighting like hell. The fact that Georgia is even in it is remarkable. I am sticking with my prediction but even those people close to the situation say it's a toss-up. If he sticks with FSU as my UGASports recruiting guys predict, there will be some folks who will say UGA never had a chance. Those folks have no idea. None.

The fight for offensive lineman Earnest Greene will continue. In the past 36 hours, we saw five analysts flips their prediction from either Alabama to Georgia or from Georgia to Alabama. In my research, I think it is too early to make the call. He will announce on January 8th.

As for Deyon Bouie, I do not expect him in this class.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News