ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE Live from Butts-Mehre.....Thursday practice report

Anthony Dasher

Circle of Honor
Staff
Aug 29, 2007
Winterville, Georgia
Good afternoon.
The media was allowed to view approximately 15 minutes of workouts Thursday, the first opportunity we've said to see the 2023 Bulldogs up close. As usual, UGASports was on hand with five sets of eyes, including two photographers.
For those wondering, this was the first media viewing since Week 2 against Samford.
Here's what we saw.

I'll go first.

... Quarterbacks: Carson Beck does indeed appear to be taking the early first-team reps, followed by Brock Vandagriff and Gunner Stockton. Team is still in just shorts and shoulder pads. Coach Bobo spent his entire time with the QBs in the time I was watching. Will say that Beck really seems to be in command of what he's doing.
... Offensive Line: It was hard to gauge exactly who was going where, but initial reps saw Earnest Greene at left tackle, Xavier Truss at left guard, Sedrick Van Pran at center, Tate Ratledge at right guard and Amarius Mims at right tackle. Now, one rep, I'm pretty sure I saw Austin Blaske slide in with the first team, with Micah Morris getting second team reps at guard.
... Freshman running back Roderick Robinson is a BIG boy. Looks at least 230 to me.
... Freshman receivers Anthony Evans III, Zeed Haynes and Tyler Willams looked good on air, but like most freshmen are getting used to the speed of the practice. So too, are transfers Dominic Lovett and RaRa Thomas. Apparently, it's a different animal than their former schools.
... Tight end Lawson Luckie is a lot bigger than what I thought I would be. Very physical-looking better.
... Freshman outside linebacker Gabe Harris got a little peeved with fellow freshman Pearce Spurlin and had to be shoved back by outside linebackers coach Chidera Uzo Diribe. Smart was overhead getting on Spurlin, too, telling the freshman "the pads come on soon."
... Outside linebackers: Harris, Samuel M'Pemba and Damon Wilson are three imposing outside linebackers. All three look like defensive ends. They're still learning, however, as Uzu Diribe had to stop one drill because they were not moving fast enough.
... Inside linebackers: Keep an eye on Raylen Wilson. Young man looked to be a terror during the drills I saw.
... Defensive end Mykel Williams is listed at 260, which is like 10 pounds more than last season. He definitely looks it.
... Freshman cornerback AJ Harris stood out to me among the freshmen DBs.
... Freshman defensive tackle Jordan Hall (44) is already making an impression. Was even getting a few first-team reps.

More to come

JED MAY

For perhaps the first time ever, the highlight of practice viewing came during the ball security portion. Freshman tight end Pearce Spurlin (88) and outside linebacker Gabriel Harris (29) were matched up in the drill. At the conclusion, things got a little testy and a brief scuffle ensued. Todd Hartley yelled, “I like the juice!”

Kirby Smart also begged for intensity during ball security. He told several players, “Best friends finish last” during some reps he perceived as soft. Darris Smith had a good rep, punching the ball out from one of the tight ends.

During handoff drills, the quarterback order went Carson Beck, Brock Vandagriff, Gunner Stockton. The running back order went Kendall Milton, Branson Robinson, Andrew Paul, and Broderick Robinson (wearing 0). Daijun Edwards worked inside during that portion of practice.

Paul is still wearing a knee brace on his right knee. Smart said on Tuesday he won’t be doing any 11 on 11 drills this spring.

In addition to Spurlin in 88, freshman tight end Lawson Luckie is sporting 7.

During some drills getting off the ball, the first-team offensive line featured Earnest Greene at left tackle, Xavier Truss at left guard, Sedrick Van Pran at center, Tate Ratledge at right guard, and Amarius Mims at right tackle. The second unit from left to right went Austin Blaske, Micah Morris, Jared Wilson, Dylan Fairchild, Chad Lindberg.

For those looking for receiver numbers, RaRa Thomas is wearing 5, Dominic Lovett is wearing 6, Tyler Williams is wearing 10, Yazeed Haynes is wearing 13, and Anthony Evans is wearing 17.

The receivers did routes on air in groups of threes - X, Slot, and Z. The order went:

Rosemy-Jacksaint, McConkey, Arian Smith

Bell, Lovett, C.J. Smith

Meeks, Mews, Haynes

Thomas, Evans, Speer

PATRICK GARBIN

Before we observed practice, we spotted Nakobe Dean leaving the IPF. As Dean was leaving, Nolan Smith drove by in his truck and the former teammates chatted briefly.

Soon after we got to the field for observation, Kirby Smart was hollering at a particular player (unsure who), “Don’t be his best friend! Best friends finish last! Best friends finish last!” It was just about then when new additions Pearce Spurlin and Gabe Harris got into it—as described. From what I observed, it appeared Harris popped Spurlin in the helmet with his hand a few times before the latter got tired of it, and locked up with Harris by grabbing his facemask.

Chidera Uzo-Diribe was intense with his outside linebackers group. He was “tired” of having to repeat himself to the unit, adding, “You’re not tired! We just started! So, you’re not tired!” Like Dash, I was impressed with new additions Sam M’Pemba, who is wearing No. 26, and Damon Wilson, who is wearing No. 35, both of whom seemed far from tired. The aforementioned Harris was out there as well.

Smart reminded everyone that it was “the last day before pads.”

Along the defensive line, Jordan Hall was easy to spot, wearing No. 44 and getting first-team reps. For the couple of drills I saw, Hall seemed to be keeping up better than most new arrivals this early in the spring. Fellow newcomer Jamaal Jarrett is wearing No. 55.

I just caught a glimpse of the safeties working with Will Muschamp—just long enough to catch Malaki Starks not surprisingly make an impressive grab of an interception.

Besides the pair getting the first-team reps, Kamari Lassiter and Daylen Everette, the remaining corners seemed to struggle a bit while we observed—enough to where Fran Brown seemed a tad ticked off. Besides Lassiter and Everette, the rest of the group routinely dropped passes thrown their way.

As we were leaving the field a few minutes into a period, we were getting ushered off in a way by Smart. The head coach questioned one of the UGA Sports Comm. staffers, asking “We got to blow a horn to get [the media] out of here?”

Just before we got off the field, we witnessed a long touchdown reception made by Arian Smith, who blew by newcomer AJ Harris, who is wearing No. 4, for the score.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News