ADVERTISEMENT

Macon Music Pilgrimage

JackRussellDawg

Diehard supporter
Gold Member
Jun 29, 2018
Coastal Florida
This past weekend, my wife and I went to Macon to do all things music. I had low expectations going into this trip, but I must admit I was pleasantly surprised by the fun we had.

We stayed at The 1842 Inn, a B&B in an antebellum mansion near downtown. Nice folks and friendly service, and they have a bar.

OK, our first stop was The Big House where The Allman Brothers Band used to live together when they were getting started. It is now a museum that tells the story of the ABB and contains a lot of memorabilia, a gift shop, and has two older dudes there that knew the ABB and have lots of stories to share. This is a quality museum.

Next, we went to Rose Hill Cemetery to visit the graves of Duane and Greg Allman, Berry Oakley, and Butch Trucks. They are resting peacefully in one area, a stone's throw from I-75 and near the resting place of many Southern veterans of The War for Southern Independence. We did not find the grave of my wife's grandfather, however. He was the scoundrel that was shot dead in a poker game, and they may have just chunked him in the clay somewheres to be forgotten.

We then had lunch at the H&H near downtown where the ABB used to eat a lot, and the black lady who ran it back then took a shine to those straggly hippies and ran a tab for them when they were running short on funds. Great Southern food. In fact, we ate well all weekend there, at Fresh Air BBQ, The Rookery, and at Brick Tavern.

The next day we headed to Capricorn Records studio and museum. The studio was in use, but we spent a couple of hours in the museum. The museum itself is very small, but it has eight listening stations where you can put on some headphones and digitally flip through the large catalog of Capricorn records, listen to whatever you want, and read album covers. Seven and a half days of music listening, we were told. Here's what I listened to: ABB, Duane Allman session recordings from the Duane Allman Anthology, Grinderswitch, Dixie Dregs, Sea Level, Bonnie Bramlett, Elvin Bishop, Wet Willie, and Marshall Tucker Band. Pure Southern Rock.

We heard that there was a Blues Festival going on as well as a Greek Festival, but we headed to the 20th Annual Jazz Festival on Riverdale. This is simply a blocked off street in a nice little neighborhood in Macon, and folks spend all day sitting in the street and front yards listening to good jazz. We caught the last and main act, Wycliffe Gordon and Friends, and they were fantastic. Wycliffe is from Waynesville, can play 23 instruments, and has played with some big names. However, his cousin from Augusta, "Paisley," stole the show. The band shifted to the blues, and Paisley came walking up the street playing the hell out his electric guitar and working the crowd. He was wearing a burgundy polyester suit and matching turban and looked like a mixture of James Brown, Prince, and Super Fly. He got everyone young and old to get up and shake their tale feathers. I'm going to see if Savannah Jazz can get this group next year.

The only disappointment was the now-defunct Georgia Music Hall of Fame, which someone should revive in Macon, not Atdamlanta.

Ok fellers, I've done told you more than I know. I highly recommend a Macon Music Pilgrimage, if you're into that sort of thing.

I have visited the Big House Museum and enjoyed it. I've read that "back in the day" the Allman Brothers would sometimes just gather at Central City Park on a Sunday and begin playing, unannounced. People would hear about it and start showing up to listen.

The following article was written by Cameron Crowe (Almost Famous) in 1973 after Duane's and Berry's death. If you have not seen Almost Famous I highly recommend it. It is my favorite movie of all time. LOTS of early 70s Rock songs and "innuendos" from other bands, as Cameron covered many of them. This article mentions how Duane worked in Daytona Beach to save up to buy an electric guitar from the local Western Auto. He saved up $15 but the guitar was $15.50 and they store owner would not sell it for $15. So he went and made 50 more cents to buy his first electric guitar. Imagine being THAT guy Hahahaha

This past weekend, my wife and I went to Macon to do all things music. I had low expectations going into this trip, but I must admit I was pleasantly surprised by the fun we had.

We stayed at The 1842 Inn, a B&B in an antebellum mansion near downtown. Nice folks and friendly service, and they have a bar.

OK, our first stop was The Big House where The Allman Brothers Band used to live together when they were getting started. It is now a museum that tells the story of the ABB and contains a lot of memorabilia, a gift shop, and has two older dudes there that knew the ABB and have lots of stories to share. This is a quality museum.

Next, we went to Rose Hill Cemetery to visit the graves of Duane and Greg Allman, Berry Oakley, and Butch Trucks. They are resting peacefully in one area, a stone's throw from I-75 and near the resting place of many Southern veterans of The War for Southern Independence. We did not find the grave of my wife's grandfather, however. He was the scoundrel that was shot dead in a poker game, and they may have just chunked him in the clay somewheres to be forgotten.

We then had lunch at the H&H near downtown where the ABB used to eat a lot, and the black lady who ran it back then took a shine to those straggly hippies and ran a tab for them when they were running short on funds. Great Southern food. In fact, we ate well all weekend there, at Fresh Air BBQ, The Rookery, and at Brick Tavern.

The next day we headed to Capricorn Records studio and museum. The studio was in use, but we spent a couple of hours in the museum. The museum itself is very small, but it has eight listening stations where you can put on some headphones and digitally flip through the large catalog of Capricorn records, listen to whatever you want, and read album covers. Seven and a half days of music listening, we were told. Here's what I listened to: ABB, Duane Allman session recordings from the Duane Allman Anthology, Grinderswitch, Dixie Dregs, Sea Level, Bonnie Bramlett, Elvin Bishop, Wet Willie, and Marshall Tucker Band. Pure Southern Rock.

We heard that there was a Blues Festival going on as well as a Greek Festival, but we headed to the 20th Annual Jazz Festival on Riverdale. This is simply a blocked off street in a nice little neighborhood in Macon, and folks spend all day sitting in the street and front yards listening to good jazz. We caught the last and main act, Wycliffe Gordon and Friends, and they were fantastic. Wycliffe is from Waynesville, can play 23 instruments, and has played with some big names. However, his cousin from Augusta, "Paisley," stole the show. The band shifted to the blues, and Paisley came walking up the street playing the hell out his electric guitar and working the crowd. He was wearing a burgundy polyester suit and matching turban and looked like a mixture of James Brown, Prince, and Super Fly. He got everyone young and old to get up and shake their tale feathers. I'm going to see if Savannah Jazz can get this group next year.

The only disappointment was the now-defunct Georgia Music Hall of Fame, which someone should revive in Macon, not Atdamlanta.

Ok fellers, I've done told you more than I know. I highly recommend a Macon Music Pilgrimage, if you're into that sort of thing.
What a great post. I enjoyed it.

When I was at Mercer in the early 90’s , I lived in an old house on the corner of College St. & Georgia Avenue. That house was the first home the Allman Brothers lived in when they first moved to Macon. Caddy corner across the intersection is the home Greg Allmon lived in when he was married to Cher. Those two houses are right down the street from the 1842 Inn. Mr. Schwartz lived next door when I lived there as well as when the Allman Brothers lived there. He said those boys held a lot of parties just as we did, only difference was , we drank a pile of booze & they smoked a lot of dope. He also said they were well mannered & shut everything down around 12PM, just as he ask them too.Big yellow house right on the corner.

Sounds like a fantastic weekend for y'all. Would love to do it sometime. I have great memories of a trip there in 1970 to see Wet Willie, Marshall Tucker and The Allman Brothers at Macon Colosseum. Drove down after classes at UGA and back to Athens after the concert. About 10 of us packed into a VW bus.

awesome post!! thanks for sharing. appreciated all the other posts and stories as well.

Great stuff man. Hopefully you found Elizabeth Reed‘s grave down by the tracks and the Little Martha statue up the hill? If not, holler next time you’re coming I’ll come show you I live about a mile from Rose Hill.
I hope the Confederate Cemetery was in better shape than last time I was over there. It needed tending to. They may have moved it with all the interstate construction, but there used to be an enormous stars and bars that flew over that cemetery that you could see from I-75 that people wanted to get all pissed about every now and then.
Did you get by Kirk West’s photo gallery? You probably met Kirk at the Big House he was an ABB roadie and photographer for several great artists of the time. He and his wife run the big house. Great folks they live on my street. Anyhow he sells his photos there but it’s like a museum as well. Lots of great quality photos of musicians you won’t see anywhere else and if you buy one no one else will have one like it because it’s unpublished. I’m sure there’s lots of his photos on the wall at big house too. I have two great ones he took on the wall at my office- one just of Garcia and another of the Dead in front of the Wall of Sound during ‘74. Heck he probably sells his stuff online.
It is sad about the Music Hall of fame. Heck it died even before coronavirus. It’s now a medical office building I am in there once a week staffing a resident clinic.

Great stuff man. Hopefully you found Elizabeth Reed‘s grave down by the tracks and the Little Martha statue up the hill? If not, holler next time you’re coming I’ll come show you I live about a mile from Rose Hill.
I hope the Confederate Cemetery was in better shape than last time I was over there. It needed tending to. They may have moved it with all the interstate construction, but there used to be an enormous stars and bars that flew over that cemetery that you could see from I-75 that people wanted to get all pissed about every now and then.
Did you get by Kirk West’s photo gallery? You probably met Kirk at the Big House he was an ABB roadie and photographer for several great artists of the time. He and his wife run the big house. Great folks they live on my street. Anyhow he sells his photos there but it’s like a museum as well. Lots of great quality photos of musicians you won’t see anywhere else and if you buy one no one else will have one like it because it’s unpublished. I’m sure there’s lots of his photos on the wall at big house too. I have two great ones he took on the wall at my office- one just of Garcia and another of the Dead in front of the Wall of Sound during ‘74. Heck he probably sells his stuff online.
It is sad about the Music Hall of fame. Heck it died even before coronavirus. It’s now a medical office building I am in there once a week staffing a resident clinic.
We didn’t go to the other graves, because my wife was getting tired. The Stars and Bars are still waving proudly. We didn’t meet Kirk West that I know of, just two old very knowledgeable dudes, one running the entrance and the other manning the gift shop. I forgot to mention that we also ate at Kudzus where I had oysters and gumbo which were pretty good.

Have you ever been to the Skydog Festival on the Sunday before Thanksgiving. That looks interesting.

Reactions: deadduckdawg
I was born in Macon along with my whole family pretty much. My grandfather still works at a pharmacy there. Back in the day Duane and Gregg and the band would come into his pharmacy because they had a soda fountain. He tells some good stories about them, though he like to always mention that he thought they smelled like the magic grass 😵‍💫 lol

We didn’t go to the other graves, because my wife was getting tired. The Stars and Bars are still waving proudly. We didn’t meet Kirk West that I know of, just two old very knowledgeable dudes, one running the entrance and the other manning the gift shop. I forgot to mention that we also ate at Kudzus where I had oysters and gumbo which were pretty good.

Have you ever been to the Skydog Festival on the Sunday before Thanksgiving. That looks interesting.
You know, I haven’t been to that. There always seems to be something else going on. I’m sure it’ll be a good time I may actually get there this year. But then Ill hafta go buy all that stuff they want you to bring because I won’t have all of it. And I’ll hafta go to either Kroger or, worse, yet, the Wal Marts. I mean, there’s some places you just know before you go that it’s gonna suck ass. Places like the drivers license bureau. Or the courthouse. Or Albany. Or Wal Marts. Or Hell.
So glad you ate at Kudzu they are great folks. Great food. They usually have some live music on their rooftop bar most weekend nights.

painted a picture…

good stuff, djd…what a wkend

Cool! I wonder what he traded it for? If he traded you a nice guitar for weed that would make one heck of a story. 😁
;) Andy Bananas was there. He had his D-21 and I had a D-28 ... which I sold somewhere along the way. Andy still has that D-21.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT