ADVERTISEMENT

Magill Society Question

andrewdc07

Diehard supporter
Gold Member
Nov 3, 2015
LaGrange, GA
My wife and I have been discussing joining the Magill Society (entry level ha) we already pay $3500 a year in donations and tickets etc. Was wondering if making the jump to the tier 1 level ($25,000 over 5 years) was worth the investment. We can afford it, just wanted to hear from you all on the perks of this move and anything that I should be aware of in regards to The Magill Society.

Thanks everyone!

Go Dawgs!

Reactions: Red Pants
My wife and I have been discussing joining the Magill Society (entry level ha) we already pay $3500 a year in donations and tickets etc. Was wondering if making the jump to the tier 1 level ($25,000 over 5 years) was worth the investment. We can afford it, just wanted to hear from you all on the perks of this move and anything that I should be aware of in regards to The Magill Society.

Thanks everyone!

Go Dawgs!
It’s not a value play, so it’s not worth it in a transactional sense. However, it’s generally a good cause and if you feel so inclined for charitable reasons, no reason not to join.

Thanks everyone!

Go Dawgs!
That's a tough question and gets tougher every year and there are lots and lots of opinions.

I think answer relates to whether your objective is (1) help the program in its various capital improvement and other non NIL initiatives (2) have greater access to road and natural site tickets and want to sit in the UGA section (3) want to better position yourself for the reseating that is likely to occur for home season tickets in the next few years.

If you could care less about 1, there are more economical ways to achieve 2 and 3 on the secondary market.

If you care about 1, 2 and 3, I think the answer depends on how many points you have now.

The sweet spot (at least for now) to have access to most road and neutral site tickets with decent seats is around 100,000 points, I'd probably guess 150,000 this year for Texas and Bama as you need 125,000 just to order and suspect cut off may be well higher. So if a 25,000 Magill donation with the bonus included will move you at or close to that area, I think worth it if you value 1, 2 and 3.

I joined when it first opened up in 2016 and gave a bunch before I retired and as I value 1, 2 and 3, it has been well worth it. But the extra benefits (attend practice, pro day, invites to meet coaches) have decreased year by year as others have passed me. So the perks for say 500,000 were very different 3 years ago than they are today. Which is understandable. And my sense is (others will know better) there are few perks offered under 200,000 points or so.

But if you have season tickets today, and want to maintain them in the future, and good seats are important to you, the extra points of even lower end Magill will make a meaningful difference when the reseating occurs.

One person's opinion and clear as mud I hope

That's a tough question and gets tougher every year and there are lots and lots of opinions.

I think answer relates to whether your objective is (1) help the program in its various capital improvement and other non NIL initiatives (2) have greater access to road and natural site tickets and want to sit in the UGA section (3) want to better position yourself for the reseating that is likely to occur for home season tickets in the next few years.

If you could care less about 1, there are more economical ways to achieve 2 and 3 on the secondary market.

If you care about 1, 2 and 3, I think the answer depends on how many points you have now.

The sweet spot (at least for now) to have access to most road and neutral site tickets with decent seats is around 100,000 points, I'd probably guess 150,000 this year for Texas and Bama as you need 125,000 just to order and suspect cut off may be well higher. So if a 25,000 Magill donation with the bonus included will move you at or close to that area, I think worth it if you value 1, 2 and 3.

I joined when it first opened up in 2016 and gave a bunch before I retired and as I value 1, 2 and 3, it has been well worth it. But the extra benefits (attend practice, pro day, invites to meet coaches) have decreased year by year as others have passed me. So the perks for say 500,000 were very different 3 years ago than they are today. Which is understandable. And my sense is (others will know better) there are few perks offered under 200,000 points or so.

But if you have season tickets today, and want to maintain them in the future, and good seats are important to you, the extra points of even lower end Magill will make a meaningful difference when the reseating occurs.

this helps tremendously 1, 2 and 3 are VERY important to us

Not worth it IMO. No matter what you donate unless a gold mine, the ones ahead of you will keep you standing still. I gave a hefty donation to Hartman last year. I was called by UGAAA about joining Magill. I thought about it and backed out. When the possible reseating occurs, I will reseat to the sofa and big flat screen. As stated, if you really want to attend a road game just purchase from the secondary market.

Thanks everyone!

Go Dawgs!
The benefits are good but don’t expect at the $25k level to have it made.

More importantly, the funds are vital to improving facilities and our sports programs. This is the reason number 1,2,3, etc to do it.

Thanks everyone!

Go Dawgs!
I was under the impression that the Magill donation had to be above and beyond Hartman donation. In other words, the $5k per year for the Magill donation would not satisfy the Hartman donation for those years. I could be wrong on that, but that's the way the Magill information reads. Here is the statement from the website: Established in 2015, the Magill Society recognizes those that make commitments of $25,000 and above, separate from their Hartman Fund donations, to the University of Georgia Athletics Association.

I was under the impression that the Magill donation had to be above and beyond Hartman donation. In other words, the $5k per year for the Magill donation would not satisfy the Hartman donation for those years. I could be wrong on that, but that's the way the Magill information reads. Here is the statement from the website: Established in 2015, the Magill Society recognizes those that make commitments of $25,000 and above, separate from their Hartman Fund donations, to the University of Georgia Athletics Association.
This is correct. So you still pay your minimums for your seat donations and tickets, then you would pay the Magill donation on top of that number with the minimum being 25k pledged over 5 years. So if it’s costs you 5k in seats and 3400 for the season tickets..you’d pay $8400 plus the 5k Magill for the next 5 years.

Reactions: USA1DOG
This is correct. So you still pay your minimums for your seat donations and tickets, then you would pay the Magill donation on top of that number with the minimum being 25k pledged over 5 years. So if it’s costs you 5k in seats and 3400 for the season tickets..you’d pay $8400 plus the 5k Magill for the next 5 years.
correct, I can always lower my Hartman donation as well, I believe the minimum is $600.

This is all great information

When that reseating occurs it will be a real moment of decision for a lot of families. We have had generally the same seats since the 90s and have many memories made with family/friends over the years. If all of a sudden 121/120 is somehow 300? after supporting this program for 4 decades in time/money/emotion is trumped by a stroke of a check alone then I'll probably check out. I'm 46 years old and in my 22nd year of being a public educator. I watched the changes in 2016.... the last SEC title game we got tickets to was 2012 through the UGAA. Been shut out on playoff games and most marquis road games since as well. Has it lessened my fandom? Not completely and not yet. If we lose our seats in Sanford as well (which I fully expect to happen) might be a time to reassess priorities.

When that reseating occurs it will be a real moment of decision for a lot of families. We have had generally the same seats since the 90s and have many memories made with family/friends over the years. If all of a sudden 121/120 is somehow 300? after supporting this program for 4 decades in time/money/emotion is trumped by a stroke of a check alone then I'll probably check out. I'm 46 years old and in my 22nd year of being a public educator. I watched the changes in 2016.... the last SEC title game we got tickets to was 2012 through the UGAA. Been shut out on playoff games and most marquis road games since as well. Has it lessened my fandom? Not completely and not yet. If we lose our seats in Sanford as well (which I fully expect to happen) might be a time to reassess priorities.
Honestly you’ve got to assume the re-seating is coming, and I’m definitely someone who will lose in that shuffle. I don’t love that but I completely understand why it’s going to happen and I don’t blame UGAA at all when it happens.

correct, I can always lower my Hartman donation as well, I believe the minimum is $600.

This is all great information
If I understand it correctly, which I may not, the Hartman Fund minimum is really driven by the per seat donation requirement based on where your seats are in the stadium. In most cases, that is $275-475 per ticket. So if you have 4 lower level seats on the side, the best strategy is donate $1,900 via Hartman because you have to and the rest via Magill and get the bonus points.

Last edited:
Can someone explain this “reseating “ situation that people are saying is coming?

Can someone explain this “reseating “ situation that people are saying is coming?
Basically at some point UGA is going to clear the deck on seats with no priority for seniority (right now if you have 50 yard line seats, you keep them if you donate the minimum regardless of your cumulative donation history).

So one day in the near future UGAA is going to start at highest point number and go to lowest and that’s how the stadium will be seated

Are you at all familiar with what was done at Stegman Coliseum for men's basketball this season? If not just imagine having your seats 4 rows off the court, showing up through thick and thin for 30+ years. Making your donation, buying your tickets and then being told.... HEY guess what we are gonna etch a sketch wipe the entire seating chart clean on the excuse of "student ticket location." Then allow the "reseating" to be done strictly on a totem pole of $$$$ no mater if you've every bought UGA men's basketball season tickets in the past or not.... Get ready, because its coming to Sanford I'm afraid.

Reactions: cinemadawg
Basically at some point UGA is going to clear the deck on seats with no priority for seniority (right now if you have 50 yard line seats, you keep them if you donate the minimum regardless of your cumulative donation history).

So one day in the near future UGAA is going to start at highest point number and go to lowest and that’s how the stadium will be seated
If mens basketball is the model, which is may or may not be, it will be more of a combination of current giving and longevity, with current giving having a heavier weight but longevity still having priority over what I will call moderate donors.

I suspect whenever it is done for football it will be more nuanced than just going from highest to lowest. But we shall see...

I think this is well written, thoughtful and balanced, @andrewdc07

As always, context and specifics matter a lot. Glad to discuss nuances with you, offline, if you want to. Just DM me (I don't want to get into the inevitable "they're screwing the little guy so I'm giving up my tickets and watching from my Barcalounger" back and forth).

(FWIW, posters are correct that Magill is separate from Hartman, which BTW is a key reason Magill donations are tax deductible and Hartman donations are not. And, while re-seating - i.e., starting from anew and allocating seats in Sanford based solely on point totals @Jett Rink - might happen some day, IMO it's a long way off; however, 're-parking' is far more likely to happen in the near- to mid-term.)
will send a DM

Reactions: natty.now
Thanks for the explanations. If this “reseating “ were to ever happen, UGAAA better do some “test marketing “ with the season ticket holders as this could easily backfire. There would be a ton of very pissed off people that might say good riddance.

Thanks for the explanations. If this “reseating “ were to ever happen, UGAAA better do some “test marketing “ with the season ticket holders as this could easily backfire. There would be a ton of very pissed off people that might say good riddance.
There definitely will be but they’ll more than make up for it money wise. I would also guess this is something 5ish years away

I have 4 tickets in 316 since 2016 and now that we have a 1 year old was hoping to grow old with my son and watch games from there....looking bleak now I guess.

Honestly you’ve got to assume the re-seating is coming, and I’m definitely someone who will lose in that shuffle. I don’t love that but I completely understand why it’s going to happen and I don’t blame UGAA at all when it happens.
So all other factors be damned, just start a line of $$$$$ in order and let them fill the stadium? That's a no for me brother.

Reactions: andrewdc07
I have 4 tickets in 316 since 2016 and now that we have a 1 year old was hoping to grow old with my son and watch games from there....looking bleak now I guess.
I feel your pain 100% man, have watched my 16/14 year old grow up with our seats (after I grew up in them years ago). Evidently that doesn't mean anything now, just give me MORE MONEY and otherwise your loyalty is expendable.

Reactions: andrewdc07
Longevity definitely was factored in for Stegeman re-seating and it was not as simple as start with #1 and work down the list - BUT, bottom line those with lower $$$ totals picked later in the process and ended up moving to what most would see as less attractive seating locations and the impact from longevity was on the margins.

Edit: BTW, not saying it's a good idea or a bad idea but tOSU re-seats their football stadium every 5 years.
Say whatever you want, we know A LOT of fellow season men's basketball ticket holder that got screwed in the process. It was amazing how many "basketball supporters" we suddenly had... You can be assured the Silver Circle/Magill will get what they want and they want YOUR TICKETS. As long as we win like we are right now its not an issue. Go through a spell like Florida is currently in and you'll have a ghost town

Concur... We started getting season tickets ( section 129) my first year after graduating and have had the same seats since 1977.. if they re-seat us to a much worse area, that will be the end for us

There definitely will be but they’ll more than make up for it money wise. I would also guess this is something 5ish years away
I don't doubt that they'll more than make up for it money-wise, and that may be all that ultimately matters in the end. But I do wonder how many season ticketholders- especially older ones- would give up their tickets altogether if they had to move from really good seats to much worse seats. And what something like that would ultimately mean for how many actual season tickets we sell, and how full the stadium would be. And my line of thinking is that it's not like we have some massively long waiting list to get tickets. Even as recently as 2021, anyone who donated the minimum could get season tickets. Obviously that went up a little in 2022 & a good bit in 2023, but it's still not some astronomical number to get in on the ground floor for season tickets. But if 10-20% of season ticketholders drop their tickets during the reseating process, will there be enough new buyers to backfill them? I don't have an answer for that. But I can tell you one thing- my dad would likely be one that dropped his. He's 75 years old & has had 4 tickets on the 40 under the overhang on the south side since 1980. He goes to almost every game, gets there early & stays until the end, even though he's not in the greatest shape. He donates the minimum every year to keep those seats, and doesn't have a crazy-high Hartman total as a result. In fact, for years his donation was $150 per seat, which was lower than the $200 minimum I had to pay when I first got my own tickets upon graduation for the 2000 season (every seat was $200 then, other than the older ticketholders like my dad that were grandfathered in). If you told him that he's all of a sudden going to have to pay as much or more for much worse seats than what he currently has, there's no way he's going along with it. He would drop the seats, then have me help him find tickets on the secondary market for any games he wants to attend moving forward, but no way would he "start over" at age 75 in worse- and likely much worse- seats. And I highly doubt he would be alone.

And it should be pointed out that at most big programs this has already occurred. As a longtime UGA season ticket holders have had the grandfathering thing it has been unbelievably beneficial despite the dollars donated being lower significantly lower.

It's a money-driven business.

Last edited:

They'll reseat you because you're a trouble maker. Probably outside the stadium.

You are correct, there will be some pissed off people, but there will be other people lined up to take their place. The bottom line is that money talks, I have been donating like crazy for the last 8 years to keep from losing my seats.

He's had wonderful seats for ~45 years by giving the absolute minimum, as was his right (and he has had the right to pass them to his surviving spouse, if he has one). In addition, UGA has also substantially lagged inflation rates in its per seat seat pricing, which is another nice benefit he's had for all those years. All in all that's a pretty good deal, I'd say, and I get why he/you don't want that to change.

What I'd like to understand, though, is the apparent inability to recognize why that scenario creates massive funding/revenue issues for UGA today. To be clear, I'm NOT saying I expect you (or him) to agree that adjusting seats so those who are funding the program get access to those better seats is a great idea and embrace the concept; I'm saying that this is not a black and white issue.

Balancing the need to generate the money needed to cover the incredibly escalating costs required to compete at the highest level with the need to stay connected with fans - many of whom have been fans for a very long time and who have deep-seated connections to the team - is really hard. How do you balance the two? You obviously feel that moving a long-time fan's seat location - not taking their seat away, but moving them to a different location - is categorically unacceptable and wrong. So what would be OK? Would regular significant price increases for seats and per game ticket prices be ok? How would you thread this needle?

I've been going to UGA games for over 60 years so I'm not new to this. I've lived it and feel it, too. (FWIW, I don't think they'd have a hard time replacing the season ticket holders like your father who chose to bail out - even at 10-20% - but who knows? and as I've said elsewhere, re-seating isn't even under consideration nor do I think it will happen any time soon, if ever.)
Just to be clear, I don't think moving longtime season ticketholders to a different location is "categorically unacceptable and wrong". I never said that and hope what I wrote didn't imply that. I just said if it happened, my dad specifically would drop his tickets altogether rather than move to worse seats (at age 75 or older). And that there would be a decent number of fans that I would think would be in the same boat. I never said it was unfair or unreasonable. Honestly we know how lucky we've been to keep these seats for as long as we have at far below market value (i.e., what someone who has worse seats would happily pay UGA for the right to buy ours). I have said in many posts over the years what a great deal we have had and still have. And I wouldn't blame UGA if they eventually did reseat the stadium. It would make a ton of sense financially, as they leave a lot of money on the table by sticking with the current policy. I just doubt we would end up buying season tickets moving forward if & when they do.

He's had wonderful seats for ~45 years by giving the absolute minimum, as was his right (and he has had the right to pass them to his surviving spouse, if he has one). In addition, UGA has also substantially lagged inflation rates in its per seat seat pricing, which is another nice benefit he's had for all those years. All in all that's a pretty good deal, I'd say, and I get why he/you don't want that to change.

What I'd like to understand, though, is the apparent inability to recognize why that scenario creates massive funding/revenue issues for UGA today. To be clear, I'm NOT saying I expect you (or him) to agree that adjusting seats so those who are funding the program get access to those better seats is a great idea and embrace the concept; I'm saying that this is not a black and white issue.

Balancing the need to generate the money needed to cover the incredibly escalating costs required to compete at the highest level with the need to stay connected with fans - many of whom have been fans for a very long time and who have deep-seated connections to the team - is really hard. How do you balance the two? You obviously feel that moving a long-time fan's seat location - not taking their seat away, but moving them to a different location - is categorically unacceptable and wrong. So what would be OK? Would regular significant price increases for seats and per game ticket prices be ok? How would you thread this needle?

I've been going to UGA games for over 60 years so I'm not new to this. I've lived it and feel it, too. (FWIW, I don't think they'd have a hard time replacing the season ticket holders like your father who chose to bail out - even at 10-20% - but who knows? and as I've said elsewhere, re-seating isn't even under consideration nor do I think it will happen any time soon, if ever.)
Rather than a reseating, why can't UGA just raise the per year required minimum on premium seats?
People can either continue to pay or give them up. For a long time the required minimum was the same regardless of where your seats were in the stadium. The incremental differences between the cheap seats and the premium seats isn't enough in my opinion. A few examples:
  • Seats between the 30's in the lower level should have a $1000+ required donation. Enough people would certainly pay it.
  • East lower club (seatbacks under cover) shouldn't be the same $300 donation as the bleachers in front of them.
UGA has data from Stubhub/SeatGeek to know what the true market value is for every seat in the stadium.

I think the real problem with a re-shuffle occurs if/when UGA hits a dry spell on the field. Then a lot of your long time supporters are gone and you’re left hoping the new money folks are still there (which hasn’t been the case as many other places during those times).

Say whatever you want, we know A LOT of fellow season men's basketball ticket holder that got screwed in the process. It was amazing how many "basketball supporters" we suddenly had... You can be assured the Silver Circle/Magill will get what they want and they want YOUR TICKETS. As long as we win like we are right now its not an issue. Go through a spell like Florida is currently in and you'll have a ghost town
That is correct. Also it is known that the younger people (gen z) are not attending fb games as much as older ones. Also, the parking situation/tailgating situation is getting worse for season ticket holders .
Long story short, losing long time fans who have paid their dues for many years will hurt ticket sales eventually.

$500,000 points must be in the top 500 donors in the system, correct?

Reseating or raise donation levels and ticket prices, none of this has happened but the panic over this has somewhat created a frenzy. If any of this were to happen, there will be some that say enough is enough and give it up. As long as the Dawgs keep winning don't think for one minute they won't be replaced in a heartbeat. With the economy like it is, people will still dig in their pockets to find money for entertainment. I am an older alum with season tickets and go to a few games every year but I also know there is a saturation point with me when I know when to say when. Let it play out and see if anything does change and make a decision then but for now just enjoy it while it is here. FWIW, I will never become a qualifier for the 1929 Club! $7500 for a few 60 minute football games? Damn.

Reactions: FivePtsDawg
$500,000 points must be in the top 500 donors in the system, correct?
It's around 300 or so. And to be clear, there are still very good perks at that level, but things like practice access, golf trips and other very small group stuff is much more limited than it used to be. I am not as close to this as some others, but attribute to high class problem of lots more big donors plus competition for some perks with large NIL donors who may or may not also give as generously to UGAA.

It's around 300 or so. And to be clear, there are still very good perks at that level, but things like practice access, golf trips and other very small group stuff is much more limited than it used to be. I am not as close to this as some others, but attribute to high class problem of lots more big donors plus competition for some perks with large NIL donors who may or may not also give as generously to UGAA.

When Kirby was hired there were about 25 donors at or above $1 million; today there are about 150 at $1 million or more. And the top donor currently has over 6 million Hartman points.

Thanks everyone!

Go Dawgs!
Tax deduction and you can give stock shares in lieu of cash so you don’t take gain on your stock sale

Reactions: NC_K9
I believe I said that "bottom line those with lower $$$ totals picked later in the process and ended up moving to what most would see as less attractive seating locations" which I think is consistent with your point that those who gave the most got their pick of seat locations.

I'm also interested in how, specifically, you think it should be handled if you were the AD and had to make the decisions AND you also were responsible for driving revenue growth to deliver the funding needed for UGA to compete at the highest levels? Basing seat locations on donation levels plus giving value to longevity wasn't the answer - what should it have been?
Certainly worked well for the better part of the history of the program. Loyalty, consistent giving and support was the model across all of the collegiate landscape. It’s a new attitude to tier your fans and let $$$ drive every major decision. Devolution of the college model into semi pro sports… impossible to deny

That is correct. Also it is known that the younger people (gen z) are not attending fb games as much as older ones. Also, the parking situation/tailgating situation is getting worse for season ticket holders .
Long story short, losing long time fans who have paid their dues for many years will hurt ticket sales eventually.
100%! Have told this to folks for years, the seeds of decision today will blossom in the coming years. I know quite a few other UGA between 23-50yrs old but I only know of 2 others who donate/buy season tickets… why would they start? The deck is stacked against them so they just stubhub a couple games and watch the rest on TV

I think the real problem with a re-shuffle occurs if/when UGA hits a dry spell on the field. Then a lot of your long time supporters are gone and you’re left hoping the new money folks are still there (which hasn’t been the case as many other places during those times).
There will be a long line for any UGA tickets that become available.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT