ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE March 31 Spring Practice Report: ***UPDATED*** (presented by Athens Ford)

Patrick Garbin

Pillar of the DawgVent
Staff
Sep 24, 2015
Bishop, GA
Good afternoon everyone. Dash is out, so here’s my attempt—and I stress attempt—to report on Georgia’s fourth practice in pads for the spring:

…The sidelines were flooded today with coaches attending the last day of the program’s Coaches Clinic, along with a bunch of recruits. I spoke with a staffer who stated there were actually “less recruits this week” than last—but you could’ve fooled me.

…For the initial period the media was allowed to view, a few different defensive teams were running pursuit drills. I tried to spot Kirby Smart, but couldn’t—until he could clearly be heard among the crowd: “Hurry up, Keyon (outside linebacker Keyon Brown)! Hurry up!”

…The pursuit drill, which curiously showcased a six-man front, including three defensive linemen, featured, from what I could tell, the following 1st and 2nd teams:

1st Team: Linemen Jonathan Ledbetter, Tyler Clark, and Julian Rochester; linebackers D’Andre Walker, Juwan Taylor, and Natrez Patrick; and defensive backs J.R. Reed and Richard LeCounte at the safeties, Deandre Baker and Mark Webb at the corners, and Tyrique McGhee at the Star.

veu6bk.jpg

"Second-teamers" No. 9 Ameer Speed and No. 12 Tray Bishop during today's defensive pursuit drills.

2nd Team: Linemen Michail Carter, DaQuan Hawkins-Muckle, and David Marshall; linebackers Tae Crowder, Monty Rice, and Walter Grant; and defensive backs Jarvis Wilson, William Poole, Ameer Speed, Tray Bishop, and an unidentified player wearing No. 27 who is not on the roster.

…On the offensive end, receiver Jeremiah Holloman suddenly removed himself from a drill, whereupon he got with head S&C coach Scott Sinclair on the sideline. It appeared as if it was nothing serious, but seemingly the receiver only needing to stretch his hamstrings.

…After getting some first-team reps on Thursday, according to a coach who was in attendance, early enrollee Trey Hill was working with the second team at one of the guard spots during the time I viewed the offensive line. Netori Johnson was working behind Hill with the third team.

…I watched two drills with the running backs, and each time the order was as follows: 1) Elijah Holyfield; 2) Brian Herrien; 3) Prather Hudson; and 4) D’Andre Swift.

Radi's Notes:

...Charlie Woerner looked great. I expect big things from him.

...The wide receivers and the quarterbacks were working on passing drills with the wideouts trying to beat the press. Here is what we saw throw wise.
  • Jake Fromm complete to Riley Ridley
  • Justin Fields short to Mecole Hardman
  • Jake Fromm overthrows Kearis Jackson on an out route
  • Justin Fields throws slightly behind Jayson Stanley on a flat route
  • Fields throws a little high for Trey Blount
  • Fromm throws a little high to Patrick Burke? (tough to see the numbers)
  • Fromm throw on the money to J.T. Dooley
  • Fields had perfect throw over the middle to Mecole Hardman
  • Stetson Bennett throws accurate pass to Riley Ridley
  • (At this point the were running three quarterbacks, very close together. One would throw to the right, one to the left and one would throw over the middle. Then they rotated.)
  • Fromm with a nice back-shoulder pass to Stanley
  • Fields sharp over the middle to Jackson
  • Fields with a good throw to Blount on out route.
  • Fields to Hardman again. Those two seem to be very in sync.
  • Bennett to Ridley complete.
  • Catch of the day (that I saw) Tyler Simmons hauling in a pass from Fromm, going down the sideline.
  • Stanley too had a nice catch on a Fromm pass.
  • Sam Vaugh had a great throw to a streaking Trey Blount.

... Dan Lanning was working with the outside linebackers, teaching them how to burst of the line, strike the tackle (play half a man) and the separate to hold containment or make the play going outside. They were starting on that redline Coach Donnan mentioned on the show that the receivers use.

- “This is strike on the move. Last time we did strikes on the sled. But the sled ain’t moving. Football moves. SO we are doing strikes on the move.”
- Robert Beal had to go again. “You are getting eaten up, Rob!”
- Keyon Brown received a lot of praise for his rep.
- So too did Brenton Cox. Lanning made a bunch of the coaches watching laugh when he yelled. “Brenton Cox you’ve got a dang chance!” as in a chance of being good.
- D’andre Walker was going first followed by Beal in the drills. Not sure it matters but just sharing.​

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News