ADVERTISEMENT

Masks: Did they help or did they make things worse?

CoastalVADawg

Pillar of the DawgVent
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2019
Interesting data dive into masking mandates vs COVID outcomes in the United States (technical):

And did masking potentially lead to worse outcomes?

Yes, I know this is an influenza study, but it has important implications for SARS-CoV-2 (also an enveloped virus, similar size, that is primarily transmitted via aerosols).

There is an interesting study (sorry I cannot find it) that demonstrates that masks can shear droplets into aerosols - think of throwing a water balloon against a chain link fence. Aerosols (1-3 microns) can obviously travel deeper into the lungs than droplets (which often cannot travel beyond the nasal passages). Another study looked at droplet vs aerosol infection in mice. The mice infected with droplets had very mild symptoms, whereas mice infected with aerosol had much worse symptoms. This is not surprising, of course. Additionally, aerosols can remain suspended in a climate controlled environment (i.e. the home) for several hours.

Interesting data dive into masking mandates vs COVID outcomes in the United States (technical):

Yes, I know this is an influenza study, but it has important implications for SARS-CoV-2 (also an enveloped virus, similar size, that is primarily transmitted via aerosols).

There is an interesting study (sorry I cannot find it) that demonstrates that masks can shear droplets into aerosols - think of throwing a water balloon against a chain link fence. Aerosols (1-3 microns) can obviously travel deeper into the lungs than droplets (which often cannot travel beyond the nasal passages). Another study looked at droplet vs aerosol infection in mice. The mice infected with droplets had very mild symptoms, whereas mice infected with aerosol had much worse symptoms. This is not surprising, of course. Additionally, aerosols can remain suspended in a climate controlled environment (i.e. the home) for several hours.
There isn't a study that conclusively states masks can stop viruses. Just a bunch of "might coulds" lol

Reactions: ugateke24 and stray
Not to mention that most mask wearers were continuously donning and removing the same petri dish day in and day out. Throw in a false sense of security that encouraged people to relax because they thought their mask protected them and...

Reactions: JCarbo76 and stray

Recent study showed how bad mask were for kids. After only minutes, carbon dioxide levels were dangerously elevated.

I can tell you this: Masks became a divisive issue in our church. When we opened back up, we recommended them, but did not require them.

I had people leave the congregation, because we didn't require them in the building.

We also had people who said they would leave, if we DID require them.

I was going to lose church members, either way, because of the issue.

Not to mention that most mask wearers were continuously donning and removing the same petri dish day in and day out. Throw in a false sense of security that encouraged people to relax because they thought their mask protected them and...
I was having a dinner with a buddy and his daughters who live in Perpetual Fear, New Mexico, also known as Communism, USA. The girls tried to school me on masks and I asked them to go through the process of wearing masks and when they told me they didn't wash their hands every time they touched their mask, and that they re-used them, they got the light. I just told them to question everything their government says. Won't blame my buddy, he tries, but his ex, their mom is a wacko in every sense of the word. She did this to them.

Reactions: Dirty Hairy Dawg
I can tell you this: Masks became a divisive issue in our church. When we opened back up, we recommended them, but did not require them.

I had people leave the congregation, because we didn't require them in the building.

We also had people who said they would leave, if we DID require them.

I was going to lose church members, either way, because of the issue.
I felt very convicted to never worship with a mask on. Fine if other people want to do it but not for me.

I was having a dinner with a buddy and his daughters who live in Perpetual Fear, New Mexico, also known as Communism, USA. The girls tried to school me on masks and I asked them to go through the process of wearing masks and when they told me they didn't wash their hands every time they touched their mask, and that they re-used them, they got the light. I just told them to question everything their government says. Won't blame my buddy, he tries, but his ex, their mom is a wacko in every sense of the word. She did this to them.
More child abuse. Insane idiots.

just added more distrust to "science" and politics........."science" was probably batting .500 throughout this whole thing.

Not bad if it was baseball..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT