ADVERTISEMENT

Message Board History: UF takes on the Richt Fire/Kirby Smart hire

kckd

Circle of Honor
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2001
Walter Cronkite Gator: Georgia has fired Mark Richt.

"Jesus is coming back on June 15th, 2017" Gator:
Jacob Eason, your new Gator team is ready to see you now.

Lee Corso Gator
: Between this and the LSU debacle, we should clean up on recruiting!

lee-corso-not-so-fast.jpg

Gator seer: I'm in a state of mourning.

"Crazy. Next thing you know you could win your division and not finish out the next year." Gator: The "business" of college football is reaching crazy levels. We're heading to a place where if you don't go undefeated every year, you're going to be "on the hot seat".

The Lord answers prayer Gator: I pray they hire the idiot DC at Bama. Pray, pray, pray....

Ironic Gator: Am I the only one that thinks it'll be funny if Kirby doesn't get it considering how long he's waited for it? Apparently Mullen wants it bad.

More Ironic Gator: There's the small issue that Mullen finishes 5th in the west every year and never has a winning record in the SEC. It would be great, but no one is dumb enough to hire Mullet over KS.

Another rotten limb Gator: I'd be surprised if he doesn't get it but anything is possible. Probably the next Saban coaching tree failure.

As you wish Gator:
oh please hire kirby :rotfl:

Pride Goeth Gator: Huge power shift happening in the SEC East. We gotta chance to cement ourselves on top for some time to come.

Most Ironic Gator: This to me is when the coaching carousel gets interesting. Assuming they do not go for an asst. coach or someone from the NFL, this where where the lateral moves begin. I have always heard the UGA AD was enamored with Cousin Eddie (Oh please let them hire Mullen) or perhaps he gets excited by a Larry Fedora type.

Not Bulldog Bob, Hholland or CGD Gator: Some account claiming to be UGA insider (with only 90 followers) claims Ton Herman will be the new coach already agreed. We shall see.

Happiness is a temporary state Gator: As long as UGA hires anyone but Chip Kelly, I'll be happy. They are going to have Fulmeresque hangover with any other coach they hire.

"It's a win/win for the Swamp" Gator: The question is, will Kirby be allowed to interview prior to the end of Bama's run? If not, no one will want to wait on him. I see Bama going to the Championship game, so even if he interviews and is hired, will he leave Bama early? If not, he's got just 3 weeks to get recruiting done.

In case you don't remember

2016 team recruiting rankings: Kirby 9, Shark raper 14

Appropriate reaction Gator: They wouldn't have fired him if they weren't sure they would get their guy. I'm hoping it's Kiffin or Mullen (that would be awesome) but unfortunately I'd bet big on it being Smart.

"LIV Golf is gonna be huge" Gator: I think Mac's arrival and immediate success, yes it has been, has had a ripple effect in the East. Look at us, and we beat all of them in spite of our suckage, they know this. After last night, it doesn't feel like it, but we're on an upswing. Now is the time for everyone else to make a move if they're gonna.

Will Jr. Gator: Herman is the best coach currently out there. The problem is that non of the GA fans I know want him. They want a GA guy and they are dying for Kirby. I could easily see him being Muschamp 2.0 for them as I am sure their philosophy is pretty similar.

"Georgia and Michigan hiring former players. That never works" Gator: Sorry. Couldn't tell if you were serious or sarcastic. Houston looks legit and Herman is already proven he can out scheme Smart. I would much rather than hire Smart and it potentially be Muschamp 2.0. I saw Coach Mac said he didn't want Smart in the East, but what is he supposed to say about his friend. They for some reason are turning into Michigan where they have to have a UGA guy as coach.

Scrappy Doo Gator: Holy crap, it just keeps getting better and better for the good guys. JMac has the whole SEC East in panic mode. I like it!

WqJGf2.gif

Warning Gator:
Uggh.

What I've heard is Kirby Smart to UGA is surely going to happen

George Strait Gator: :rotfl: they fired richt for smart, tire fire warning

s-l1600.jpg

Justice League Gator: I hope this is true. I'll be looking forward to many more editions of Whipped Puppy.

e54b7835-b456-40f4-b750-492a19d0fe7b_text.gif

Even more irony Gator:
As bad as richt is you don't hire someone for that uga job with no hc experience. we tried that trainwreck.

Walter Cronkite Gator with a special report: @Mark_Schlabach: Can confirm @AJC report that Kirby Smart will be named #UGA coach, barring a last-minute development. Has not signed memo of understanding.

Miss Cleo Gator: Well I don't like this one…

For one more year Gator: So muschamp to south Carolina and his protege to Georgia. Wow, the east keeps getting easier.

That 70's Show Gator: Bad hire for UGA and I love it.

f9258bc3-574c-43fe-9a44-5bbe876c1a13_text.gif

OT Prophet Gator: I think as has been written that they are friends and would work together if possible (recall that Muschamp wanted to hire Kirby as his DC when he got here), but their personalities are quite different. Didn't know Muschamp until I met him at a couple of gatherings. What we all saw was what we got with him obviously. It is unpopular to say, but he was certainly a better defensive coach while here IMO even though he was ultimately a failure as the head honcho. I believe Kirby is certainly sewed up more tightly and probably has the better HC temperament, but only time will tell once he is in the position. Like some have said, I'd rather us have to face Muschamp at the helm of the Dawgs, but despite him being a former player and alum, I don't think that would ever happen (him as HC) and quite frankly I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't a part of the staff up there, sooner or later.

Unintentional comedian Gator: If Smart agrees to be UGAs coach after the SECCG, and Saban does move on if he wins the NCG, you know who I think the Bammer's go after.....................................Mac. That would not be good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News