ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg MLB Starting Pitcher Free Agent Acquisitions '24

fprex

Pocket Dogs - I always got a hot dog in my pocket
Gold Member
Aug 31, 2006
Discussion in another thread turned to Max Fried and whether the Braves will re-sign him or let him hit the market. I think the vast majority expects him to leave Atlanta.

With that said, the similarities between the NFL concept of trying to win with a QB on a rookie deal somewhat line up with MLB teams trying to win with lower priced pitching. It feels like the moment you go out on the FA market and throw big money at a SP from another team, you're in trouble.

Top contracts given to FA starting pitchers this past MLB offseason
  1. Ohtani $46.08 mil/year (Dodgers knew they'd get nothing out of him on the mound in '24)
  2. Blake Snell $31 mil/year (0-3 9.51 ERA 23.2 IP)
  3. Jordan Montgomery $25 mil/year (6-5, 6.44 ERA)
  4. Sonny Gray $25 mil/year (9-5, 3.30 ERA)
  5. Aaron Nola $24.6 mil/year (10-4, 3.48 ERA)
  6. Eduardo Rodriguez $20 mil/year (hasn't pitched in 2024)
  7. Lucas Giolito $19.25 mil/year (hasn't pitched...out for the year)
So for pitchers going from Team A to Team B, you have one successful signing after Year 1. (Sonny Gray) Nola has been a success but he was a re-signing with the Phils. That kind of makes sense because the team he signed with had all of the health information on him over his whole career. They knew what they were getting.

That is an intensely low ROI when you look at these signings. Once you go further down the list with pitchers signed to deals with $15 mil AAV, the success stories take off.

While the Braves have all the medicals on Fried, it's no wonder they don't want to shell out close to $30 mil/year for a guy into his 30s.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.