ADVERTISEMENT

More fans should watch the Kirby postgame pressers...

HacksawDawg

Circle of Honor
Gold Member
Dec 20, 2001
Buford, GA
It's a totally different context than reading snippets of quotes.

Kirby is beyond frustrated with our tackling. Straight up says we aren't tackling well. Even more frustrated with our pursuit. Cited taking on and shedding blocks, too. He said tackling is bad across the entire game of football right now. It was obvious it's driving him crazy.

Said we are very thin on depth. "It's not like how it used to be" before the days of the portal. Cited the OL. Said we don't have 9-10 good OL any more, and neither does anyone else. Said he expects that to be a theme in college football going forward. Lose a guy or two and it can really impact a team.

Also cited depth impacting how you can practice. Because we are thinner on depth, we have to be smarter about how we practice. (my editorial - that's impacting tackling, too).

Said he doesn't feel like the team has "cut it loose" yet. Said he told team "you have to earn the right to cut it loose." I didn't really follow what he was saying here but Coach Donnan used to tell the team they're 10 months pregnant. Kirby did say he felt like we got closer to cutting it loose today but not all the way there yet.

Kirby seemed a little energized. He clearly keeps track of scoreboards during the day. Cited Mizzou getting smoked by A&M. If I didn't know better, I thought he seemed energized by Bama losing to Vandy.

Point of all this summary being Kirby knows our problems. He sounds even more frustrated with the obvious issues than even this board is. I've always trusted Kirby's energy. You can sense his will to win in how he speaks, and he's always jazzed up in these postgame pressers when you get a more authentic Kirby fresh off the field rather than midweek coachspeak.

What I took away from it is the portal has changed the game and it's really taken root this season and there are ripple effects we haven't really considered until now. Tackling, fundamentals, etc are impacted by depth. It's making for a sloppier game, and more mayhem via parity.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.