ADVERTISEMENT

More media takes on the Clem spanking: Cole Cubelic, Cover 3

kckd

Circle of Honor
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2001
Cube Show

CC: This was done in dominant fashion. Some people will say: "The score's not indicative. It was close. 6-0 at the half." Okay. But if you dive into this game plan of Bobo, it was not extensive early. Just get the ball out quick into the deep flat, make Clemson run a little bit, feel them out. I will admit the Clemson DL was causing problems early on. Georgia's OL was not dominant early. But here's the cool part about it. Mike Bobo didn't panic (Just like our in-game dawgventers😂) . He didn't start throwing the ball all over and down the field. Didn't try to hit deep balls in coverage. Didn't start running reverses and all that crazy shit. He stayed who he was. It took some time to figure it out. It took some time to wear that defensive front down. He started leaning on them and oh by the way, you may have your new dude at RB. His name is Nate Frazier. There was a pitch out left later in the game. You had a TE getting out cracking, doing what should be done. Greene pulling out at LT, knocking somebody around. You got two OGs 8 and 9 yards down the field trying to climb up to the second level. Wrs were blocking and Frazier's cutting all the way back across the field. There was also a wheel route where Beck hit that thing down the sideline. When they are all in rhythm and playing on the same page, they're gonna be tough to stop.

The physicality continues to come. Colbie Young looked bigger than I expected. He looked like a monster out there. He's gonna be a huge RZ threat. And guess what. We told you about Humphreys on this show and who is their third down go to guy? London Humphreys, former Vandy WR, with some big catches in this game.

Thought Beck was sharp in this game. Struggled a little early, but again they figured it out. It's a quality opponent and it's one of the better defensive fronts UGA will play this year. No ifs, ands or buts. That's one of the best front sevens UGA will play and look at what they did. They handled it.

Defensively, Mykel flashed. Brinson did some really nice things inside. Miller did a couple of nice things. Saw Stackhouse. He's been around awhile. But that's not what stuck out to me. What stuck out to me is they can run. We knew Mondon could run, but R. Wilson gets in the game and he looks like he's headhunting. No negative connotation on that at all. I'm meaning the MPH he was hitting on his GPS. Damon Wilson can fly. Gabe Harris getting down the edge and trying to do some damage. Chaz Chambliss, holding blockers on the screen and letting his teammates make plays. Jackson and Starks coming down in the box. KJ Bolden's flying down. They are fast. Loved J. Walker's usage. He's gonna be a massive piece in what this defense can turn into this year. Speed to the ball. Precision with how they operate. It's just different. If I'm a UGA fan I'm feeling really good about what I saw on film.

Cover 3

Chip Patterson: Georgia looked really good. And they didn't have either of their top two RBs. Offense took a little while to warm up but they got into a rhythm. What you think Tom?

Tom Forinelli: I think when it got to 20-3, the Clemson defense just kind of laid down because they knew it was pointless. They knew their offense wasn't gonna score. It was like "All right boys, let's just save something for next week."

Bud Elliott: I don't think this is the game we should be criticizing Clemson for not getting players from the portal. When you lose to Duke or teams you should beat, that's fair. But Georgia out recruits Clemson at the high school level by a meaningful amount. Georgia has the best roster in the country and I don't think it's fair. And the broadcast did a nice job of looking at Clemson and the portal, but I'm thinking "This is when we're gonna do this?" What amount of portaling could have helped Clemson with Georgia today? Give Clemson Cam Ward and they're still gonna lose. They're just not as big and physical and fast as UGA is. And UGA is also way better at the QB position. And that's because Georgia signs the best looking HS kids out there and develops the crap out of them. They got Colbie Young who was one of the only big body x's in the portal.

Tom Forinelli: You didn't lose to UGA because you didn't use the transfer portal. You lost to Georgia because you were playing Georgia in Atlanta of all places. Georgia's really freaking good.

Chip Patterson: You mean that team we picked to win the title?

Tom Forinelli: Carson Beck doesn't get the opportunities to do the cool off schedule stuff because he plays behind an incredible OLine that keeps him out of those situations. But he's good when he gets off schedule and has to get out of the pocket and he showed that a few times today. I'm impressed. The guy we saw at this time last year compared to what we're seeing now, I'm just incredibly impressed at the growth that guy has shown.

Bud E.: And they were patient. They were getting beat up front in the first half. But to Tom's point earlier, Clemson seemed to quit at some point in the second half. I mean, it's hard when your offense gives you two snaps in enemy territory for the entire first half.
I think if a team could, not would, because we don't know, but the officials were letting the DBs on both teams get really grabby. If an officiating crew is really strict and calls PI, maybe a team with good WRs can do something.

Chip: Apple, tree. Apple, Tree. Kirby, Saban. That just kept going through my head. How many times did we see Alabama do this in season openers with Saban. Remember that FSU opener with a one vs. three matchup. From the middle of the second quarter on you were like "Oh, God! FSU has a good defense. I don't know how many Bama's gonna score, but FSU will never match it." That's what today felt like.

Bud E.: I agree. It would really take a colossal screw up by Georgia for Clemson to win that game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.