ADVERTISEMENT

Most of these lists are weak sauce. Here's a good one. All time Braves non HOF 40 man roster...

BaronVonHeinsteidel

Circle of Honor
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2007
also, probable HOFer's like Murph, McGriff and Andruw are excluded. Current players don't count either. So no Freddie and no former Braves, who are currently playing count either, like Prado or Kimbrell. BTW, playing for the Braves isn't good enough. You have to have either played the majority of your career for the Braves, or if it's close, overwhelmingly having your best years with the Braves. Notable players who could go either way are Joe Torre,Terry Pendleton, Frank Boling, Eddie Miller, Bob Elliott, Clete Boyer, Davey Johnson, Sid Gordon, Gary Matthews, Darrell Evans, Felipe Alou, Lonnie Smith, Tony Cuccienello, Art Nehf and Chris Chambliss. I decided Joe was more of a Brave, because while he was fantastic for St. Louis with an MVP, he was almost as good for the Braves, and played 3 more seasons for the Braves and had 42 more career homers. Pendleton, I also consider a Brave. Yes, Terry played much more of his career in St Louis, but he was the linchpin for the Braves in the early 90's and was a bonafide superstar during his time with the Braves. Chambliss and Boyer both had their best years with Atlanta, but they were almost as good in New York and the cumulative stats stack more in the Yankees favor. Davey Johnson was such a phenomenon for one year in a Braves uni, compared to everywhere else, he qualifies as a Brave to me. Darrell Evans, is slightly a Giant even though it's extremely close and he played one more year for the Braves. He's almost a Tiger too.Gary Matthews could qualify as a Giant, Cub, Philly or a Brave. I'm giving him to the Braves because he displayed the most power in Atlanta. Felipe Alou is also a Brave for the same reason Chambliss is a Yankee. Same reason Lonnie is a Brave over a Card. Eddie Miller, a Red (though 3 time All Star for the Braves). Bob Elliott a Brave for the same reason Pendleton is. Frank Boling, a Tiger... same reason. Sid Gordon, a Brave, see Pendleton. Tony Cuccienello is a Dodger, Art Nehf is a Brave... see Pendleton.

I seriously considered adding the 15 best pitchers instead of parcelling them out by role, because I think guys like Tim Hudson are probably more deserving than Mike Remlinger, but I stuck to the roles. With position players, yes... I'm slightly top heavy at catcher, but nearly every regular catcher plays some 1st at some point.

So...

1B: Joe Adcock, Earl Torgeson
2B: Davey Johnson, Marcus Giles, Bill Sweeney, Felix Milan, Bobby Lowe
SS: Johnny Logan, Raphael Furcal, Jeff Blauser
3B: Bob Elliott, Terry Pendleton, Bob Horner
C: Brian McCann, Javi Lopez, Joe Torre, Del Crandall
LF: Ron Gant, Sid Gordon, Rico Carty, Ralph Garr, Lonnie Smith
CF: Wally Berger, Otis Nixon
RF: David Justice
SP: Tommy Bond, Lew Burdett, Johnny Sain, Bill James, Tom Hughes, Dick Rudolph, Art Nehf, Charlie Buffington
RP: Greg McMichael, Mike Remlinger, Steve Bedrosian, Eric O'Flaherty, Johnny Venters, Mark Wohlers,
Closer: Gene Garber

Honorable mention: Bill Bruton, Sam Jethroe, Tim Hudson, Kent Mercker, Bob Buhl, Jair Jurrjens, Kris Medlen, Buzz Capra, Ryan Klesko, John Rocker, Steve Avery, Glenn Hubbard, Kevin Millwood, Vern Bickford, Gene Connolly, Jim Whitney, Fred Tenney, Yunel Escobar, Kerry Ligtenberg

May add to the honorable mention list.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News