ADVERTISEMENT

My needy and socially inept neighbor...

BaronVonHeinsteidel

Circle of Honor
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2007
always requires my help. I pride myself on being a good neighbor and bud, so I'm always happy to help him. He's an egg head engineer and doesn't have a lot of social skills. I give him regular affirming pep talks. I wing-man for him and help him talk to ladies when we're out. I provide helpful dialog like 'what Big Al MEANS to say' when he's drying the gal up with TMI or something tone-deaf. And with the tone-deafness, comes a lot of strange requests. This morning he asked me if I could pick some clothes out for him, for a job interview. Cool. I picked out something buttoned up, super professional, because he needs his clothing to mask some of his awkwardness (he typically wears something that might conjur an image of Guy Fieri's autistic brother, if he had one).

And to prevent an awkward call 5 minutes after I leave, I go ahead and do his tie, so he can just slip it on his neck and go. WELL, he called me five minutes later because he needed help buttoning up his shirt (his neck button).

I can't speak to what the workplace was like 30 years ago beyond having a teenager/ young man gig, but I have to assume there weren't hordes of Raymond Babbits in the world making important decisions. My man Alan isn't the only one I've met.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News