ADVERTISEMENT

My stance on Kirby's fan comments

AKMDPT

Dynasty builder
Gold Member
Dec 25, 2012
San Francisco
I don't have a strong opinion either way. I am just not that much of a fanatic, but...

If we as fans praise Kirby Smart for always teaching our guys - always coaching them up, and being the master motivator; if we brag about how he handles his team when they are playing as an elite unit and we love his halftime speeches to get everybody up; If we praise him for being constructive and coaching his team up when they are not elite and we think that we, as fans, are part of that team, then why should we get our feelings hurt when he calls us out.

I realize it can be seen as insensitive. It can be seen as hypercritical. It can appear tone deaf. But, that is what Kirby Smart does with his team and that is why we are so successful. If, as a player, you cannot handle the tough love and constructive feedback, then you won't make it on a Kirby Smart coached team. Its in his DNA to call it out when he wants improvement.

So, in my opinion, we are either part of this team or we aren't. If you are in the group that thinks he should focus on coaching the players and leave the fans out of it - then you view yourself as a mere spectator. If you are part of the group that thinks you are part of the team and that your actions can impact the outcome of the game, then take his words to heart and do better.

I do not think it is up for debate that fans can and do impact the outcome of games. I think if you were to poll ANY college football coach, they would want a loud and involved crowd at every game, home and away. It sells the program to recruits. It negatively impacts the opposing team. It is intimidating. So why is it so wrong to ask the fanbase to do better?

Can Kirby coach better? Sure. Can he demand more from Coach Bobo? Sure. Can he focus on teaching better tackling? Of course. But why can't he ALSO call out his fanbase to do better? Is he only allowed to ask his fans to be elite when he has everything else taken care of? I don't know - but it seems like a lot to demand of a coach just to get his fanbase as loud as can be.

And before anyone calls me out - I AM PART OF THE PROBLEM. I am not elite. I don't spend thousands in donations. I haven't been to a game since the Rose Bowl. I even missed the 2nd half of the Alabama game because I had to work. But, I am sure there are enough of you 4 and 5 star fans to fill up the stadium and be coached up by Kirby.

Once again, just my opinion. Flame away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.